Micron or Infinity... decisons... decisions...

Thanks for the info. The only concern I have with switching to EFX is that it is re-wettable, and I am the first to admit, my airbrushing technique might not be the best for that. I use my fingers for distancing, when I'm up close, and I could easily see myself forgetting to dry them thoroughly and ending up smudging the paint with a damp finger. I've fallen in love with the AG modifier, so I'm wondering if a couple of drops of the AG would help make the EFX a little less temperamental when it gets damp. I've sent a question off to E'tac about that, but I may just have to learn how to keep my hands dry.

And I agree with you on the appearance of the airbrush... however.... a sexy airbrush, like the infinity, might make me more sexy too... LOL

Just asked my wife if using a sexy airbrush would make me more sexy.... ummmmm..... she just laughed.... then when she was done wiping the tears out of her eyes, she said, "You are already to sexy!" and then busted out laughing again. Not sure she was being sincere.

Of course, then she asked which Airbrush was more expensive, and when I told her the less sexy looking one.... she changed her mind and said, "The cheaper, sexier one would absolutely make me more sexy"... then started laughing again....

I just don't get woman. LOL

As of now, I am definitely leaning towards the CM-SB, but am still trying to read up on some of the online reviews. I'm sure this won't be the last airbrush I ever buy, but I do want to invest wisely and get the right tool for what I'm after.

#1- quit trying to understand women. In all of human history, no man has succeeded at that endevour, and most who try just wind up going insane. Since she's your wife already, and she can't leave you without a huge hassle, I'd suggest just aiming for not pissing her off too often. You probably won't succeed at that, either, but at least you won't wind up in the nut house. If all else fails, chocolate, wine, and compliments seem to completely offset anything you did wrong. Maybe some flowers, too. Then again, there's probably a reason I'm not married. lol.

Paint, as tempramental as it can be, is much, much easier to figure out. I think adding the AG to EFX lessens or prevents it from re-wetting. Or you can add a bit of the PS base (extend-air or reduce-air, I forget which is which offhand), which will do pretty much the same thing. But, you should be able to use PS through the CM-SB if you want to. If I can get Wicked detail to work, I'm sure PS will work, too. I just like using erasing and scratching techniques, which the EFX is well-suited for.

#1- quit trying to understand women. In all of human history, no man has succeeded at that endevour, and most who try just wind up going insane. Since she's your wife already, and she can't leave you without a huge hassle, I'd suggest just aiming for not pissing her off too often. You probably won't succeed at that, either, but at least you won't wind up in the nut house. If all else fails, chocolate, wine, and compliments seem to completely offset anything you did wrong. Maybe some flowers, too. Then again, there's probably a reason I'm not married. lol.

Paint, as tempramental as it can be, is much, much easier to figure out. I think adding the AG to EFX lessens or prevents it from re-wetting. Or you can add a bit of the PS base (extend-air or reduce-air, I forget which is which offhand), which will do pretty much the same thing. But, you should be able to use PS through the CM-SB if you want to. If I can get Wicked detail to work, I'm sure PS will work, too. I just like using erasing and scratching techniques, which the EFX is well-suited for.

Your advice reminds me of what my wife was saying last night... she was complaining that I never pay attention her, or something... I don't really know... I wasn't really listening, but the point is.......LOL

I did hear back from Bill at E'tac this morning and he suggested mixing the PS and EFX with their matching colors, ie... 50% PS black/50% EFX black. Sounds like a winner to me. As for narrowing down the airbrush, I have found quite a lack of reviews on the CM-SB... not that any are bad, I just couldn't find many at all. Without having a shop close by to try things out, I have to base everything on user reviews before I order. Coast has been getting most of my business, of late, and I just fired off a few questions to them this morning. We'll see if they can help me out. I guess I have narrowed it down to an Iwata, but whether its the CM-B, CM-SB, or CM-C+ with the smaller needle/nozzle is still up in the air.

Lack of reviews on the CM-SB? I think the fact that Dru Blair has been using the same one for 20 years and that Marissa Oosterlee buys hers (okay, use to buy) instead of using the Badgers and H&S she gets for free, are testament enough. I'm so in love with side feed that my next all purpose gun will be the Eclipse side feed. The line of sight statement did not sell me, the quick colour changes did.

Lack of reviews on the CM-SB? I think the fact that Dru Blair has been using the same one for 20 years and that Marissa Oosterlee buys hers (okay, use to buy) instead of using the Badgers and H&S she gets for free, are testament enough. I'm so in love with side feed that my next all purpose gun will be the Eclipse side feed. The line of sight statement did not sell me, the quick colour changes did.

I do appreciate their talents, but I am not really after photo realism, so the best I can take from them is that they trust Iwata to provide a quality airbrush. But will it be the best for what I am after? That's why I am looking for other reviews from average airbrush folks. Be that as it may, I have taken the CM-Cplus out of the running, so now it is down to the CMB and CMSB

Photorealism comes from the user, not the gun. They choose it because they can rely on them so they can produce high quality artwork. There are much more in a micron then the detail it can produce. It it much easier to use then the other Iwatas. It uses less air. Paint is instant. Lighter and smaller and it is more comfortable.

Photorealism comes from the user, not the gun. They choose it because they can rely on them so they can produce high quality artwork. There are much more in a micron then the detail it can produce. It it much easier to use then the other Iwatas. It uses less air. Paint is instant. Lighter and smaller and it is more comfortable.

Well, as I said earlier, I've narrowed it down to a Micron, so now it is just picking the one that will serve me best. And actually, I've narrowed it down to the CM-B or the CM-SB, so its just deciding if I want the side feed, which I'm not familiar with, or the gravity feed, which is more in my comfort zone. I really don't think I could go wrong with either one, but I've still got to choose.

OK, so another new question regarding the CM-SB... I notice there are a couple different types of cups for the side. I would assume the gravity feed cup would allow you to use lower air pressure, but having never used a side feed airbrush, am I correct in this thinking, or is the side feed cup the best? I'm looking at the Testors sight at the plastic Aztek cups. I do like the idea of being able to change colors more quickly, but if that ability takes away from the level of detail I can get, then I would rather just stick with what I am am used to, IE, the CM-B.

OK, so another new question regarding the CM-SB... I notice there are a couple different types of cups for the side. I would assume the gravity feed cup would allow you to use lower air pressure, but having never used a side feed airbrush, am I correct in this thinking, or is the side feed cup the best? I'm looking at the Testors sight at the plastic Aztek cups. I do like the idea of being able to change colors more quickly, but if that ability takes away from the level of detail I can get, then I would rather just stick with what I am am used to, IE, the CM-B.

When I get a Micron is will be the CM-B. I used a side feed Iwata at the Airbrush Getaway, and the side cup is just extra maintenance. I personally prefer the ease of cleaning a gravity feed.

Been debating cm-b or cm-c+ myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I get a Micron is will be the CM-B. I used a side feed Iwata at the Airbrush Getaway, and the side cup is just extra maintenance. I personally prefer the ease of cleaning a gravity feed.

I'm definitely more used to, and hence, probably more comfortable with the gravity feed, but a little extra cleaning wouldn't bother me, especially with the benefit of being able to change colors more quickly. So it really comes down to which brush I can get better detail with. I can't find any reviews where they're comparing the CM-B side by side with the CM-SB. If the spraying characteristics between the two are 100% equal, then I'm thinking I would lean towards the SB for the convenience, even if it means a few extra minutes cleaning up after each painting session.

t145_229c4c1eb0a851c5b43ba1b9f2ef97e0.jpgt145_d9cecb44850601ee966573c7838bcec9.jpg But if I'm going to use the Aztek cups, just wondering which one of these would make more sense.

ok this is where ferret steps in there are 2 diferent size for the one on the left the one on the right im not sure but it looks self explanatory the one on the right the grey part is an insert that fits in the botom black piece these cups are verry small and mixing a color in them can be a hassle becaus the first color you place in the cup goes between the cup(grey) and holder (black) so if you add a drop or two of red to white to get a pink and cap the cup place your finger over the open tip so paint doesnt splatter all over and shake it up the color in the cup is now pink but theres still white in between the cup and holder it shouldnt efect you in any way and i dont want to scare youyou should back flush after mixing a color also. the cup on the right id be curious to try it looks as if its like a gravity feed cup so that problem should go away i want to check myself to see if that cup comes in a learger size i might have to order a couple . also if i had more money or if my art work was flying off the shelf i would just go out and buy a bunch of the cups that come with the cmsb . there's no difference in how they spray at all its the same gun the only diference is how they are set up with the cmsb you get a clear view down the gun also a short distance from trigger to tip all this makes sence for doing fine detai. I know its tough if i had 600 dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now dying to get out and be spent i dont know if i would want an infinity cr plus with ruber o rings for the nozzles ( lol thats another story) or if i would want a cmsb . probably go for another cmsb

dont woty about the cmsb cups not having lids if your mixing colors in the cup just pace your finger over the top and another finger over the end that goes into the gun and give a shake or use a tooth pick

ok this is where ferret steps in there are 2 diferent size for the one on the left the one on the right im not sure but it looks self explanatory the one on the right the grey part is an insert that fits in the botom black piece these cups are verry small and mixing a color in them can be a hassle becaus the first color you place in the cup goes between the cup(grey) and holder (black) so if you add a drop or two of red to white to get a pink and cap the cup place your finger over the open tip so paint doesnt splatter all over and shake it up the color in the cup is now pink but theres still white in between the cup and holder it shouldnt efect you in any way and i dont want to scare youyou should back flush after mixing a color also. the cup on the right id be curious to try it looks as if its like a gravity feed cup so that problem should go away i want to check myself to see if that cup comes in a learger size i might have to order a couple . also if i had more money or if my art work was flying off the shelf i would just go out and buy a bunch of the cups that come with the cmsb . there's no difference in how they spray at all its the same gun the only diference is how they are set up with the cmsb you get a clear view down the gun also a short distance from trigger to tip all this makes sence for doing fine detai. I know its tough if i had 600 dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now dying to get out and be spent i dont know if i would want an infinity cr plus with ruber o rings for the nozzles ( lol thats another story) or if i would want a cmsb . probably go for another cmsb

dont woty about the cmsb cups not having lids if your mixing colors in the cup just pace your finger over the top and another finger over the end that goes into the gun and give a shake or use a tooth pick

Alright Ferret... That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I can't argue with the crazy details I've seen you pull, so with an open mind and an optimistic spirit, I think you have just helped me make up my mind. I'm sure there will be a learning curve with a side feed brush, but I've never shied away from learning. Thanks for your help. Thanks everyone for chiming in. This really helped. That's why this forum rocks!!

hey listen i look at airbrushes to see wich one looks real cool to .juging by appearance i would not have ever thought to get the cmsb and i did get the infinity which i stil use regularly i spoke to a well known ab person who said the only real problem with the infinity is the teflon seal for the nozzle it should be a ruber o ring for a beter seal and beter suction for less tip dry. undrer perfect working conditions with the paint just right i sometimes get perfect absolute hair lines but its not all the time. thain i take out the micron and it all becoms clear which is the better gun for my needs plus i dont have to order another needle every time i touch the canvas .thats the other issue with theinfinity. If you want to make the airbrush record books try and figure out how to make the micron nozzle smaller and use an infinity needle in it thats my next project i have a spare fluid head lmao im on the quest for the finest detail ...i need one of those golden marissa guns

go with the cmsb i would definatly order it from coast. if your not in a major hurry like i was you can probly ask dave to check it for you before it ships to make sure its a tip top gun
dont mind me im trying to post allot to get rid of this arnold shwartzaneedle lmao i wanted to add in just for fun im going to paint my handle red and the needle stop and ring before the handle gold so when i make a video for you tube people are going to go bonkers figuring out what kind of airbrush im using lol

Last edited:
The black and grey cup will be best if you will be doing colour changes. If you remove the white cup with paint in, it will just run out. But the same can be said about the other one and the stock cup if it is filled past the little pipe. And also, the SB is much easier to clean then a gravity cup. Back flush all the paint back into the cup. Remove paint from cup. Rince cup. Remove cup. Give it a squirt to get anything else out. Hold a bottle of cleaner with a sharp point in the cup insert and give a few more squirts. And voila, done.

I have both those types of Aztek cups but I mostly use these

Iwata HP-SBS with Plastic Conversion Cups 400dpi.jpg

You can buy them in sets of 5 large and 2 small cups with a metal converter (see left side of airbrush).

Here is a link: https://airbrushes.com/product_info...id=71&osCsid=9ea1fd3cfa209991d8d6c14928a01ca0

They are siphon feed with the tube at the top so you can take them off with paint still in and they have lids. In my photo you can see cups at the back of the picture that have paint still in them and I use wooden toothpicks and bits of a kneaded rubber to block up the holes. You could just use half a wooden toothpick in both holes, I've kept paint in the cups for weeks like this. Just stir it with a paint brush and put it back in to start spraying again. They are harder to clean than the Aztek gravity feed cups.

Each cup has it's benefits and downfalls.
I don't tend to use the black Aztek cup because it leaves paint in the bottom which I find wasteful but it is easy to clean.

I like the gravity fed cups, the small one if I'm going to be using only a few drops of colour or the larger one for spraying backgrounds.

I use the other cups if I'm mixing a lot of colours and want to do quick colour changes and keep the paint in the cups to use the next day.

The main thing is the plastic cups are light, even the large ones, so they don't upset the balance of the airbrush.

Here is a link to my YouTube video on my Iwata side feed airbrushes (not the CM-SB but all the cups fit) and many of the different side feed cups and bottle, metal and plastic. The part about the cups starts at about 5.42 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliSlSp_Y50

Hope this helps
Cheers Mel

I have both those types of Aztek cups but I mostly use these

View attachment 20100

You can buy them in sets of 5 large and 2 small cups with a metal converter (see left side of airbrush).

Here is a link: https://airbrushes.com/product_info...id=71&osCsid=9ea1fd3cfa209991d8d6c14928a01ca0

They are siphon feed with the tube at the top so you can take them off with paint still in and they have lids. In my photo you can see cups at the back of the picture that have paint still in them and I use wooden toothpicks and bits of a kneaded rubber to block up the holes. You could just use half a wooden toothpick in both holes, I've kept paint in the cups for weeks like this. Just stir it with a paint brush and put it back in to start spraying again. They are harder to clean than the Aztek gravity feed cups.

Each cup has it's benefits and downfalls.
I don't tend to use the black Aztek cup because it leaves paint in the bottom which I find wasteful but it is easy to clean.

I like the gravity fed cups, the small one if I'm going to be using only a few drops of colour or the larger one for spraying backgrounds.

I use the other cups if I'm mixing a lot of colours and want to do quick colour changes and keep the paint in the cups to use the next day.

The main thing is the plastic cups are light, even the large ones, so they don't upset the balance of the airbrush.

Here is a link to my YouTube video on my Iwata side feed airbrushes (not the CM-SB but all the cups fit) and many of the different side feed cups and bottle, metal and plastic. The part about the cups starts at about 5.42 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliSlSp_Y50

Hope this helps
Cheers Mel

Thanks for the info, Mel.

Checked out the video. Maybe I missed it, but who manufacturers those other plastic cups you use and the metal adapter?

Thanks for the info, Mel.

Checked out the video. Maybe I missed it, but who manufacturers those other plastic cups you use and the metal adapter?

Click on the link I put for Airbrushes.com and they tell you a bit of info, that's all I know. They do deliver worldwide if you can't find them in the USA or maybe some of your fellow USA airbrushers know where you could get them from across the pond. If you check out Airbrushes.com's Cups section you can actually buy the cups and adapter separately if you don't want to buy a set. I bought a set of cups, plus 5 x large (7ml) cups and a couple of extra metal adapters.

Aztek do a 12ml top feed color cup which you can buy in the USA Testors » Aztek » Airbrush Accessories » Quick Change Feeder Cups which don't need an adapter to fit but they don't have lids. You could try covering them with something for a lid.

Personally I prefer the size of the other 7ml cups with lids but the metal adapter is another thing to clean so not having that would me nice.

If they also made the same model as the Aztek 12ml top feed color cup in 7ml size I'd be interested and especially if they put a lids on them. AZTEK - HINT - HINT :)
cheers Mel

Back