Micron or Infinity... decisons... decisions...

When my dream comes true and I eventually get my micron, I will go for gravity fed. I don't like the idea of the cups, even though I can see the advantage of quick colour changes, I'm used to gravity fed, and changing colours with one, so it's not a big deal for me. Also the cups which don't have the tube at the bottom means you have to have a certain amount of paint in to be above the level of the tube (?? I'm assuming), so think I would waste a fair amount of paint. As I use only a few drops, and mix in the cup, I think I would have to use way more paint than I do now to use some of those cups. So I know what brush I want, but don't know whether to save up for a course first (to get a chance to use one, and also make sure I know enough to get the best out of one Lol!) and then save again for the gun, or get the gun first. Unless I win the lotto, then I will do both LOL!!!!!!!

Squishy, regarding the comment about the amount of paint in side feed is not correct. You only need enough paint to fill the tiny hole in the bottom of the cup and that is just a drop. If you fill it past the tube, the paint will actually run out of the tube if not attached to the gun. There is more to side feed then just colour changes. The gun is shorter and lighter as well. The "no cup to obstruct your view" statement does not hold water because no one looks directly over the barrel.

Squishy, regarding the comment about the amount of paint in side feed is not correct. You only need enough paint to fill the tiny hole in the bottom of the cup and that is just a drop. If you fill it past the tube, the paint will actually run out of the tube if not attached to the gun. There is more to side feed then just colour changes. The gun is shorter and lighter as well. The "no cup to obstruct your view" statement does not hold water because no one looks directly over the barrel.
Thanks Andre, I had seen some cup with tubes at the top and wasn't sure about that. The few side cups I've held I haven't liked the balance of, but then I've not held a micron so maybe it's different.

hey squish i dont have to say anything andre said it all just have to cover the hole at the botom the micron wil work with a couple of drops of paint the best part is your real close to the work as for the micron infinity thing i would rather gerome before another infinity and i woould definatly get another micron way before i get an infinity. im not siure if they have loto tikets like in the us in england but you can get an equivilant of our tewn dollar ticket and hope fully win the equivilant of 500 dollars thaain get a micron but if your a money saving kind of person dont gamble if you smoke quit for a month or lay off the suds dont go out to bars do anything to get the money together just get that micron you wont be upset

Only when you hold the gun without a hose attached does it feel unbalanced. As soon as the hose comes on, it does not tilt to one side anymore.

I wonder if that comment comes from the side feeds that are badly /cheaply made (not iwata) and the siphon tube actually needs a lot more paint to cover the hole that isnt actually at the bottom. The Iwata side cup is one of the nicest pieces of modern engineering I have seen.

Hi Squishy, the cheap plastic side cups I use has the tube at the top but the tube carries on down the side of the cup to a very small hole at the bottom of the cup. So as already stated, you only need to put in a few drops for it to work BUT if you have lots of paint left in your cup at the end of the session and want to keep it, you can take the cup off the airbrush without ever leaking paint.

That is because the tube is at the top and not half way down the side. Halfway down the side means you can take the cup off with paint in it IF it's below the tube. Simple really. Over the tube leaks paint when taken off and below the tube does not. Hence a tube at the top of the cup means not leaking paint at all :) :)

Also these plastic cups are so small and light I don't notice any balance problems at all.

Having said all that, if you are used to your gravity feed I don't see any reason to change to a side-feed.
Cheers Mel

squishy didnt you get a krome .i dont know if i did something special to my needle while polishing it or if i just hapened to get a perfectly matched nozzle regulator and needle set up but my krome actualy is to close to the micron inles you plan to paint details into a portrait 1inch by 1 inch if you have a decent working krome no need for a micron

squishy didnt you get a krome .i dont know if i did something special to my needle while polishing it or if i just hapened to get a perfectly matched nozzle regulator and needle set up but my krome actualy is to close to the micron inles you plan to paint details into a portrait 1inch by 1 inch if you have a decent working krome no need for a micron

That's exactly the way I feel with my Krome and Infinity. Since I've figured out my reductions, both perform awesome with ultra fine detail. I do prefer the Infinity over the Krome though. I can get more control with fine detail with it. I'm sure with more practice on the Krome, I could do the same.

i kind of gave up n my infinity not happy with it although it did kind of get put through the ringer had lots of problems with wicked and createx i dont belive the part of the airbrush body were the tefln seal for the nozzle sits is that great i need to try a rubber o ring for the nozzle i think badger had a couple of o rings for there bakery air brushes they should be the right size i alresady tried the orings at the hardwear stoar and the oring for the micron head to large il find one but im not to woried i have 3 decent fine guns

Thanks for all the info guys.
No, I thought about it, but got put off after a few people had issues. I guess I'm an Iwata girl at heart. I've just got the HP-CS, and will get the micron one day because that's what the best artists use. Then the only excuse for not doing something awesome will be down to me LOL LOL LOL!

i think that hpcs is a .3 why dont you try the .2 thats a world of difference.also I thought there was a rash of krome fever here on the forum what issues have people had. I am starting to belive not all airbrush parts come out the same no matter what the manufracturer does so thats why some guns of the same brands are better thain others i must have one of the better its not as good as an awesome condition fine tuned micron i cant paint as fine as what andre has put on the forum but its so close unles your doing exceptionaly small work you wont need anything finer .
dont mind me i am up in my tower hopig the evil land lord leaves the house its her day off and i want to go out for coffee shes still home i am hoping she leaves soon so i dont have to worry about any confrontations. isnt that horible i am a vet and i feel like i am trapped in my own home lol il wait a while and if shes still here il go out no mater what

The eclipse is a .35 and that is as small as it can go. You would have to step up to the HP-C+ or ch for the .3 with the ability to swap to the .2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I couldn't resist to comment on this one although most has been said :).

I've been using the CM-C / CM-SB and infinity so should be able to compare them (this ofc is my personal experience with them and the no doubt differ greatly from preson to person)

Infinity
Pros:
-Easy to clean
-Easy to replace the nozzle
-Can be converted to other needle/nozzle sets
-Relative cheap spare parts
-Relative cheap gun for its performance

Cons:
-Trigger mechanism seems to have a bit of a margin due to the way its build (doesn't respond as nicely as an Iwata)
-Can't adjust the tension on the trigger (big con for me)

Iwata CM
Pros
-Better atomization on low air pressure
-Little more sensitive trigger mechanism
-Easy to change paint when using side feed and multiple cups
-Clear view on your work when using side feed
-Can adjust the tension on your trigger

Cons:
-Groasly expensive spare parts
-It's expenisive
-Difficult to clean when you have a problem with your nozzle

I think both the infinity and the Micron are great tools but I prefer the micron due to the fact that it still atomizes extremly well at verry low presure (great for detail work and that basicly why one buys one) and the fact I can adjust the tension on my trigger to next to nothing.

I was going to make the same comment last night but i was to tired . oh well stil rather spend the extra 1 or 2 hundred what ever it is to get a micron cmsb if i wanted to save money id get the krome i like the krome much beter er thain the infinity
I also believe air brushes are very finicky little buggers and if the nozzle doesn't have a good seal or the regulator and tip of the nozzle isnt just right or the opening in the regulator and lastly the seal on the needle bearing along with having a perfect needle and nozzle the airbrush wont work right it doesn't matter what it is it just so happens the krome i have must be perfect all around . if you dont get a perfect air brush you will have problems thats what is probably whats happening here on this forum some body gets a perfect infinity and some one else doesnt have a perfect infinity one person will have issues and another will praise the air brush saying its the best thing in the world .
the last ingredient is the paint mostly i use efx and com art they dont dry in my air brush as i am using them i dnt get clogs or wee splats none of that and they both work at all air pressures and straight out of the bottle . when I first started airbrushing i was told the paint has to be the same consistency of low fat milk it does not efx is not it is thicker if i reduced it to far i would not be able to get fine lines
I apologies for any bad punctuations psycho has left the building i need to paint and ii am rushing this

Last edited:
I had problems with both all of my brushes at one point or another with Createx paints, mostly Wicked. If not cleaned well, there is a small bit of paint that dries in the nozzle. If it happens to be close to the tip, performance really starts to suffer.
Once I did a thorough cleaning of the nozzles of my brushes and was sure that all paint was out of it, I've not had the problem since. Com-Art and ETAC EFX are much less likely to have the problem from what I have seen. I was really shocked as to how much crap came out of my nozzles when I cleaned them.

i am laughing out loud . i wish this forum and all these posts existed when i first started doig air brushing .my problem was i wasn't patient i wanted to get an airbrush from a local art dealer so i could avoid waiting for my airbrush to arrive via post and i got stifed with a gun that pulsed real bad and was just a loose needle bearing thain i got a badger 360 (neet little gun) but not what i want for super fine detail and it constantly had clog issues with the wicked finaly i got the velocity and thain the com art folowed by the efx now i will never go back to anything else

Back