Micron question

IPT

Detail Decepticon!
Hey Guys I got a micron a while ago and am amazed at what it can do. i think i still need to dial in my reduction but overall it's so smooth and sweet. Anyway, I wanted another for when I was going to do some push pull so I wouldn't need to keep cleaning the cup. Since it is a minority of what i do I got a HP CH to save some money. To my surprise the MAC valve is much smoother with harder more positive end feels at full open and full closed. My Micron in comparison is sluggish and restricted, like it's hung up in a rubber gasket. I always that was just the way it was until I got this other brush and had a comparison. Should I be sending my Micron in to be looked at?

If it has been that way from the start I would say yes.
But if it started doing that after a cleaning and you took the mac valve out during the cleaning then it may just be gummed up.
Being by part number the mac valve on both the HP-CH and the CM-C+ are one in the same.

Tear down the micron , clean and lube, and check the needle packing for overtightness.

After reading this I understand exactly what OP is saying.

The CM-C+ has a much much softer "air tone".. whatever you wanna call it. I can hook up a different brush and it sounds more powerful. Even with a mac valve attached. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, my non mac valved Olympos Micron doesn't display this issue.

My theory is when they designed the mac valve into the Micron CM-C, it changed the flow characteristics that combined with the head design seems to restrict at least 10-15psi maybe more. It's the same on all my CM-C+ airbrushes. They are just a quiet airbrush.

A lot of that is the flow characteristics of the fluid head.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the air tone is less, but that's fine. What bothers me is the external MAC and the MAC on the HP CH are butter smooth and responsive. The one on the Micron is tight and sluggish to respond. I've never torn that brush down, and it has been like that from day one. It's only now that I just got the other that I had a reference of what it should be like. I just thought it being tight and sluggish was the way it was supposed to be! I'll probably send it back sine I've never torn it down and it's been like that from day.

From what I understand the microns are restricted anyway, no matter how much pressure you put into it, only about 30 psi comes through, hence smoother quieter.
I thought there something wrong with mine when I got until I was told this.

From what I understand the microns are restricted anyway, no matter how much pressure you put into it, only about 30 psi comes through, hence smoother quieter.
I thought there something wrong with mine when I got until I was told this.

That's probably about right. The micron definitely has more restricted airflow than any other of my brushes.

Back