Micron sb - If I pull trigger all the way it won't spray

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
I got some weird issue...

I was using 5 drops of black, 5 drops of createx classic transparent and 15 drops of reducer. Worked nicely on all the pressures I used.

Fast forward I mixed 20 transparent classic +1 drop of black + 100 drops of reducer. I sprayed, and few minutes later it was clogged? I couldn't spray water or cleaner. I cleaned brush 2 times still no effect. Cleaned third time and I also make sure air piston is like it should be. After that it was ok. Weird part was, after the third cleaning water or cleaner did spray, but not if I pull the trigger all the way back. Even on 40 psi. So I soaked head system with nozzle over night, assembled airbrush and start spraying water today. After I pulled trigger all the way back it did spray.

Then I tried mixing wicked transparent instead of createx classic like I did before. I used : 20 drops of trans , 1 drop of black and 21 drops of reducer. It did spray nicely. So I wonted to clean my brush to try something else and suddenly it didn't won't to spray if I pull trigger all the way back. So something weird is happening with my airbrush, anybody have a clue what is happening here? :confused:

Last edited:
There are times when even water will not spray from a perfectly clean airbrush :eek: Just what you wanted to hear, right?! ;)

Here's the deal. Paint, water, whatever fluid you choose to put in an airbrush, is drawn from the color cup through the paint channel, and then out of the nozzle to be stripped from the needle - by air. It is a change in air pressure across the nozzle tip that draws the paint forward. Working against this occurrence is the pest known as surface tension. Surface tension wants to keep the fluid stuck to the needle, the walls of the paint channel, to the color cup, and anything else it may come into contact with, rather than allowing it to freely flow forward to do what it is that you want it to do. The real B!tc# is that surface tension can be altered by changes in atmospheric pressure. This means from day to day things may work a little differently than they did the day before... I would guess that upping your air pressure may provide the additional suction you need to get the paint moving again when the brush is fully open... or maybe just don't pull the trigger ALL the way back

With experience, you will not even really notice these occurrences, make whatever changes need to be made intuitively, and carry on...

Last edited:
There are times when even water will not spray from a perfectly clean airbrush :eek: Just what you wanted to hear, right?! ;)

Here's the deal. Paint, water, whatever fluid you choose to put in an airbrush, is drawn from the color cup through the paint channel, and then out of the nozzle to be stripped from the needle - by air. It is a change in air pressure across the nozzle tip that draws the paint forward. Working against this occurrence is the pest known as surface tension. Surface tension wants to keep the fluid stuck to the needle, the walls of the paint channel, to the color cup, and anything else it may come into contact with, rather than allowing it to freely flow forward to do what it is that you want it to do. The real B!tc# is that surface tension can be altered by changes in atmospheric pressure. This means from day to day things may work a little differently than they did the day before... I would guess that upping your air pressure may provide the additional suction you need to get the paint moving again when the brush is fully open... or maybe just don't pull the trigger ALL the way back

With experience, you will not even really notice these occurrences, make whatever changes need to be made intuitively, and carry on...
Thanks Dave. I was scared I didn't break something :)

Thanks Dave. I was scared I didn't break something :)

It is kind of normal for newer users to think that there is, (or that they did,) something wrong. Airbrushes are really quite simple. They way they work is actually quite predictable. So, with time you just get used to the process, and just paint. Just keep at it, and you will be fine.

@DaveG has pointed about everything out to you but there is one thing you could check : the side cup as the paint passage is real tiny and can clog up a good soak or a ultrasone bath will clean it if that is the case

I tried my cup with eclipse side feed. Sprayed without problem on 50 psi. Soooo I took needle out of eclipse and sprayed. It went full blast. So after that I took Micron and took needle out. And sprayed and nothing happened. Then I jerked trigger forward and backward and it started spraying. But at the end of the trigger movement there is less water coming out then on area before end of the trigger is.

here is how it looks with water. Spray pattern is different. On right side is narrower and trigger is pulled all the way. All was done on 50 psi.

Untitled-1.jpg

spraying without the needle? - this will tell you nothing about the brushes performance, as it was not made to work without the needle. Comparing an Eclipse to a Micron? Apples and Oranges... What one does will not really tell you anything about the other... Without the needle installed, moving the trigger has zero impact on a spray pattern, other than initiating air flow.

spraying without the needle? - this will tell you nothing about the brushes performance, as it was not made to work without the needle. Comparing an Eclipse to a Micron? Apples and Oranges... What one does will not really tell you anything about the other... Without the needle installed, moving the trigger has zero impact on a spray pattern, other than initiating air flow.
I blame myself for not having enough skills in english language and I failed to explain how I should. :)

Spraying without a needle and comparing micron and eclipse is just me. I am noob and I was trying to figure this out. That picture was with needle on micron, but I had a feeling there is a difference without a needle as well. Probably just my imagination :whistling:

I cleaned head system in ultrasonic. And I tried my micron to see what is happening. I even used new needle just out of curiosity. Result was the same. Spray patter goes down on 20 psi as well. On 60 psi works normally. On picture 60 psi is trigger all the way back.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly think you are trying to make something out of nothing... If you are worried about the spray dropping off when you have the trigger pulled all the way back, set your needle stop to stop movement before you reach that point. If you are spraying a Micron with the trigger all the way back to full draw, you are probably using the wrong brush for the job. Just based on your illustrations, I would simply guess that there is some play in the needle chuck, and when you reach full draw, it comes to rest with the needle off to one side in the nozzle opening

I honestly think you are trying to make something out of nothing... If you are worried about the spray dropping off when you have the trigger pulled all the way back, set your needle stop to stop movement before you reach that point. If you are spraying a Micron with the trigger all the way back to full draw, you are probably using the wrong brush for the job. Just based on your illustrations, I would simply guess that there is some play in the needle chuck, and when you reach full draw, it comes to rest with the needle off to one side in the nozzle opening
I appreciate your honesty. :thumbsup:I used full trigger for cleaning and it was weird that is not working. After I cleaned head system, full trigger sprays so I can clean like I was used to. If there is nothing wrong with a pattern at the end(nobody blast full power when spraying) I am calm. I can live with needle chuck play. I can clean my brush like I was used to.

I guess that is just noobs issue. We are looking problems even if there is none. :rolleyes:

Back