Micron vs. Infinity

@jagardn you're pretty much done buying brushes just like I'm pretty much done eating cake... For the record in a thick girl and really like cake.

I'm absolutely new to Iwata, so what (usefull) tuning is out there? I read a lot about replacing the standard spring by a softer one, and as I like smooth triggers, I ordered it already with the gun.

I'm absolutely new to Iwata, so what (usefull) tuning is out there? I read a lot about replacing the standard spring by a softer one, and as I like smooth triggers, I ordered it already with the gun.
On a new micron? I do not think you would want to mess with any tuning. Aside from the softer spring you already ordered.

On a new micron? I do not think you would want to mess with any tuning. Aside from the softer spring you already ordered.
the only thing that would improve the new micron cm sb is the K33 0.18 needle from Foxy studio

I think there are 4 kinds :D those who own the micron and the tuned micron ;)
lollollol

Someday we'll continue the list of airbrushers types:D Improvments are always on the way:)

I'd say that new micron has the softest spring among all iwatas I had. I don't know how Zsolt's spring is soft but the stock spring installed in V2 micron is acceptable. At least I will try Zsolt's one:)

But there are things that I don't like about V2 microns;) First one is that the mechanism that moves inside the body which holds the needle inside it (that thing which we screw on the needle chuck) can not be removed from the body without unscrewing another part. I don't know how it's called but who owns V2 undesrstands me. Elder versions give the possibility to remove that mechanism without unscrewing anything, not just anything but usual parts. That part which doesn't allow to pull off the mechanism can't be screwed off by fingers it needs more power which I don't like to apply to my micron:) Some could say it's not important but for me it is. I disassemble almost all AB parts after each session I have for cleaning. Micron has its special needle packing screw that I unscrewed also (I did it on my chinese knock off "micron" so I intend to do that on the real one). I did that for perfect cleaning. I like clean tools:) And after cleaning I did a propper tension for the needle o-ring by small screwdriver installed from the back side of the body. On the new version I can't do that. To regulate the tension I can do that through that kinda small "window" in the AB body.
Another thing I don't like is that needle limiter has no hole through it, like elder versions do. Due to it V2 has shorter needle. I know a guy who tried to check if another needle would fit his CM V2. He installed the needle and screwed the limiter and due to that new version has shorter needle, screwing in the limiter caused a brocken nozzle which costs 50$.
So I'm thinking maybe to drill the hole in it. But it only mine thoughts aloud:)
In Olympos micron there's an old version mechanism which I like more.

lollollol

Someday we'll continue the list of airbrushers types:D Improvments are always on the way:)

I'd say that new micron has the softest spring among all iwatas I had. I don't know how Zsolt's spring is soft but the stock spring installed in V2 micron is acceptable. At least I will try Zsolt's one:)

But there are things that I don't like about V2 microns;) First one is that the mechanism that moves inside the body which holds the needle inside it (that thing which we screw on the needle chuck) can not be removed from the body without unscrewing another part. I don't know how it's called but who owns V2 undesrstands me. Elder versions give the possibility to remove that mechanism without unscrewing anything, not just anything but usual parts. That part which doesn't allow to pull off the mechanism can't be screwed off by fingers it needs more power which I don't like to apply to my micron:) Some could say it's not important but for me it is. I disassemble almost all AB parts after each session I have for cleaning. Micron has its special needle packing screw that I unscrewed also (I did it on my chinese knock off "micron" so I intend to do that on the real one). I did that for perfect cleaning. I like clean tools:) And after cleaning I did a propper tension for the needle o-ring by small screwdriver installed from the back side of the body. On the new version I can't do that. To regulate the tension I can do that through that kinda small "window" in the AB body.
Another thing I don't like is that needle limiter has no hole through it, like elder versions do. Due to it V2 has shorter needle. I know a guy who tried to check if another needle would fit his CM V2. He installed the needle and screwed the limiter and due to that new version has shorter needle, screwing in the limiter caused a brocken nozzle which costs 50$.
So I'm thinking maybe to drill the hole in it. But it only mine thoughts aloud:)
In Olympos micron there's an old version mechanism which I like more.
on both my V2 microns the part you mention : the needle guide can be unscrewed with ease and once that part is out you can use a long small screwdriver to adjust or remove the needle packing . the only thing I didnt like was the teflon needle packing: it is to stiff and causes to much friction on the needle . I replaced it for the rubber version and I am waiting for the Zsolt version that is in the SM K33 so I can replace the rubber one

on both my V2 microns the part you mention : the needle guide can be unscrewed with ease and once that part is out you can use a long small screwdriver to adjust or remove the needle packing . the only thing I didnt like was the teflon needle packing: it is to stiff and causes to much friction on the needle . I replaced it for the rubber version and I am waiting for the Zsolt version that is in the SM K33 so I can replace the rubber one

That's strange... I applied all the power by my fingers but could'n have it unscrewed. I'll try that for the first time with pair of pliers with cardboard or smth for not to scratch that part. After that I think I'll do unscrewing with the fingers.

I use urethanes so I can't change teflon packing:) I changed rubber packing in my Olympos for teflon one because of that reason.

The only part that is tough to unscrew is the collar screw on the bottom behind the air valve. And there is no reason try either. The needle guide is now one piece and comes out when you remove the spring tensioner. Do not try and fit a new V2 one piece guide into a V1 because it does not fit.

@Vladimir for your info...... standard spring takes 145g of pressure to depress the trigger, with the zsolt spring it is only 75g. This was developed by zsolt, marissa and Carlo. Just like the K33 needle and all other adjustments on the mfx micron they are not a gimmick and actually work

I have a Zsolt spring in my Eclipse. It took a wee bit of breaking in (at first it felt very similar to the stock spring), but after the first one or two sessions, the difference is VERY noticeable. The trigger depresses very easily, with an almost loose feel. Imagine taking the spring out entirely, then turning the gun upside-down so the trigger is kept extended by gravity, and imagine what depressing and releasing the trigger would feel like. That's kinda how it feels.

Guess what I just received! :D

I have one, hopefully easy to answer, question in regards to disassembling the CM. The fluid head nozzle base (part 1D), should I be able to remove that part?

kind regards
Andreas

Thanks! I have tried as hard as I can with my fingers, but doesn't come off.... When I just took a closer look it has some scratches on, so maybe forced it into position...

I bought it in a shop, so if there is no special trick to remove it, I think this needs to go back...

Just to be very sure it is this part as shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• Iwata-Micron-CM-SB-018_b2.jpg
    Iwata-Micron-CM-SB-018_b2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 19
Thanks! I have tried as hard as I can with my fingers, but doesn't come off.... When I just took a closer look it has some scratches on, so maybe forced it into position...

I bought it in a shop, so if there is no special trick to remove it, I think this needs to go back...

If you have a pair of long nose pliers apply some electrical or masking tape to the grips of them and you can remove that part with those, I've had to do this although not with my micron, it's only stiff because it has la in the shop for some time and the factory lubricant has gone solid, once you get it off just clean the threads with some white spirit/turpentine and put the part back finger tight after letting it dry and of course after cleaning.

Anyone who buys a new brush, I always recommend a strip down and re-lube to avoid this kind of problem.

you should be able to remove it with with ease and just your fingers

Everything is OK with your micron!;) Don't send it back.
I'd advise even not to try to screw the head with the fingers. It's useless process;) I've just these days unscrewed it with pair of pliers BUT! with two slices of 2 mm polyurethane sticked to the inner side of pliers. It's important, as not doing so you'll sratch the body immidiately. And again you can wait for me when I'll take pictures. I can do that in the evening.
So you can relax and enjoy your new AB.
BTW, my congratulation on your first Micron!:)

Thanks all!! I solved it with my bench vise. For similar cases I already made customer soft wooden inserts and can adjust the pressure in tiny steps.

It's off and I already tried my CM! I guess that says everything: :D

Really seems that what I was missing on the Evo the CM can do!! Trigger control is certainly something I need to get use to as significantly different to the Evo, but after a couple of lines already, I could get better results with it. But there are also some things I (currently) don't like. I will do an intensive test this weekend and let you know my thoughts about it!

Last edited:
Back