Mini Projectors??

airbrushtutor

Love Spreading Overseer
does or has anyone used a mini projector in place of over head projectors?? does anyone use a mini projector to project their images?? i'm looking at doing this and want to see if people can vouch for it?

I found a web site to make your own projector using a light, and a cardboard box. I tried it, and it worked excellent! Saved a dime :)

I found a web site to make your own projector using a light, and a cardboard box. I tried it, and it worked excellent! Saved a dime :)

Post it up, I would like to be able to project, for a low cost. I can get an overhead cheap, but they are large, I have looked at the Artograph Tracer as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I dont remember the web site. I googled it. But, you take a cardboard box, only leave one end open, place a flash light inside, and tape the image you are trying to enlarge on the open end. Then you are able to move the box back n forth until u have the desired size. I have had great results from doing this. I was able to get my (paper) image down to less than half the size, as well as increased it to about 200 x the original 8x10 standard paper size. Worked great for the price I paid lol.. which was nothing :)

I use an autograph tracer and I love it. The only issue I have is that the protectable area is very small so I have to print a tiny reference to project (somewhere around 150x100mm) and lose a lot of detail in the projection.
I was looking at getting a small projector that takes a USB and just load the image that way but haven't come across one that is cost effective

Thanks Jag! that does look like a really good one actually. I've been doing a fair bit of research.. i'm probably just going to go the cheap and nasty option:
[video=youtube;9u1P9m67mhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u1P9m67mhE[/video]

The one you suggested would be my first pick, but with the amount of money i've been spending on my new set up.. i need to cull back a little and just stop spending money. i'm honestly a shopaholic. I love having that feeling that something new and shiny is coming in the post.
Anyways, whichever i go ahead with i'll make a video and do a review of it for comparison against an overhead projector.
Cheers for the link mate! Still undecided.

hey guys, I ended up getting the little projector as shown in the video above - however it was a 'refurbished' model, used to the point that it didn't work anymore. So i ended up spending the extra dollars and got a brand new Acer K130 - it's sort of mid-high range quality for mini projectors and I've found it to be really good for projecting artworks. Jag, I looked to get the one you recommended as it seems to be the best bang for your buck, unfortunately it's not available in Europe and would incur an extra 20% tax.
Its a bit of a pain in the butt to set it up as i've only used it off a tripod at the moment so you can just move the transparency, instead you need to position the little projector properly.. bit hard when you have a few cords pulling on the back of it.
The little projector however, does produce a much clearer image than any projector i've had, i know not how but i just find blacks to be sharper and lines to be clearer. Strongly recommended by me, possibly a cheaper model would work just as well, depending on what you're willing to spend and have access to. Here's the unboxing vid and description of the little machine and i'm just about to do a quick follow up review:)
Enjoy:)

[video=youtube;8XnDRKXdKs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnDRKXdKs8[/video]

Thanks for the vid Mitch. I used to work in a school which had awesome hi def projectors in all the classrooms, but I was always put off getting one because of the cost of replacing bulbs (lamps???) which I know was pretty expensive. This was 2 years ago now, so things have probably moved on, but do you know how much replacement parts are for this? Cheers fella!

squishy - the LED lamps (bulbs) are supposed to last a lot longer. I had a reasonable projector I picked up for some work I did for a friend and the bulb (not LED) was supposed to be a 2000 hour bulb - It popped JUST after 2000 hours - I was so angry because the replacement globe was one of the most expensive out there, although I have seen some prices this year that are almost half of what they where.

Thanks for the Vid Mitch, can I just add. LED's have now made their way into disco lighting and some high powered units are available for illuminated Signage. My main point, due to the fact these projectors are not using High powered bulbs, the heat produced is minimal as is the running cost. This may be of consideration for some, plus the fact there is no danger of the unit overheating and needing a cooling time.
I have used projectors in the past for various projects, excellent method of image transfer providing you consider any keystone effects that may be inherrent, dont move or knock the unit until transfer is complete as you probably will never re-register the image later. At times I found it anoying as I kept getting in the way of the beam. (Just something to get used to)

Hope this may be of some us to someone.
Cheers
Ivan :)

squishy - the LED lamps (bulbs) are supposed to last a lot longer. I had a reasonable projector I picked up for some work I did for a friend and the bulb (not LED) was supposed to be a 2000 hour bulb - It popped JUST after 2000 hours - I was so angry because the replacement globe was one of the most expensive out there, although I have seen some prices this year that are almost half of what they where.
Thanks fly, I hadn't thought about LED. The ones we used literally lasted the quoted lifespan and then as you say pop! The quality of the picture decreased as well towards the end too. Might have to check out some more modern ones. I'm guessing it'll be similar to a printer, you can get one cheap, but the cartridges are more expensive, so I'm figuring cheaper projector, pricier lamps.

Hi AirbrushTutor,

Love you vids on you tube. Very informative and put across in an entertaining relaxed way. The vid on the K130 lead me here as you mentioned it in the vid.

I was wondering, do you find the K130 bright enough as i noticed it had a low lumen count. I am after buying one but just want to make sure.

Here is pic of my latest airbrush/brush painting :)Fading.jpg

How small an image will these things project?

Generally if you project too small an image, it will be hard to get it to focus properly, I know mine can project as small as our postcards for paint pals but that would be defeating I'ts purpose.

If I'm working on anything less than A4, I'll print out 2 copies of my image and use one to trace with carbon paper behind it, or cut it out to use as a stencil, anything bigger than A4, then I'll use my projector

How small or how large you can go will depend on witch model you have.

I was thinking of getting one for doing crash helmets as I tend to struggle somewhat with stencils on curved surfaces, don't want to do what I normally do and splash out and find i've bought completely the wrong thing lol.
About 7x5 is just about on the border,
Thanks for the info Mad :glee:

I was thinking of getting one for doing crash helmets as I tend to struggle somewhat with stencils on curved surfaces, don't want to do what I normally do and splash out and find i've bought completely the wrong thing lol.
About 7x5 is just about on the border,
Thanks for the info Mad :glee:

No problem, a projector definitely would't help with your crash helmets since your image would automatically be distorted.

No problem, a projector definitely would't help with your crash helmets since your image would automatically be distorted.
But you should be able to project onto a surface that you could then curve around the helmet?

Back