Mix paint

B

Blackthorne

Do you use the full range of color of your brand? Or you just mix primary colors (red, blue, yellow) + black and white?

Envoyé depuis mon Android via Tapatalk 4!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for example if you want to get dark brown then u have to mix primary colors. Its better then to darker the brown with grey or black

Odoslané z GT-I9300 pomocou Tapatalku

But its better to have full range of colors not just the primary colors

Odoslané z GT-I9300 pomocou Tapatalku

You can start with the 3 primaries, but it is definitely much easier to have more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that the basic colors, besides the primary colors are also useful for mixing. A perfect example would be using blue, brown and black for mixing grays. I just tried that and the grays are better than what you buy premixed as far as shades.
I realized that is why you get brown in the 6 color sets.....thanx to some things said on this forum

I think that the basic colors, besides the primary colors are also useful for mixing. A perfect example would be using blue, brown and black for mixing grays. I just tried that and the grays are better than what you buy premixed as far as shades.
I realized that is why you get brown in the 6 color sets.....thanx to some things said on this forum

It is amazing that we read so many posts, add advice, and absorb so much, that somewhere along the way we remember even some if it. Somehow its making us all better in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Primaries plus black and white at a bare minimum. Primaries and Secondaries plus black and white would be preferred. I have the Createx Illustration color wheel set and it is nice having all of the colors when you need them.

Last edited:
I've been ABing over 2 1/2 years now and only use opaque black and white, and the 3 primaries in translucent. I do have a ready mixed flesh tone too, but apart from that have never found the need to buy loads of colours. The only other paints I have bought have been effects.

Why you dont mix black and white?

I've been ABing over 2 1/2 years now and only use opaque black and white, and the 3 primaries in translucent. I do have a ready mixed flesh tone too, but apart from that have never found the need to buy loads of colours. The only other paints I have bought have been effects.
What do you mean by "effects"? Like peal, metallic, fluo, ... ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using blue, brown and blk you can mix any shade of gray.....warm and cool shades. The more blue the cooler the color. The grays are unlimited

Ok ... but its dont do the same thing with black and white?

I very rarely use Black or White, not only because they are true Opaques but because I mainly paint organics and Black (true Black) is very rarely seen in nature, White (again Pure White is not often seen in nature) is usually a problem because of the potential for ‘blue-shift when airbrushing. Modern paints like ‘Etac Titanium White’, for example, somehow has the ability to cut back on the chances of ‘blue-shift’ (clever chemistry I think). So I will only use White to lighten a colour, taking on board that if I am using a Transparent, adding White will render it an Opaque and therefore not a true Transparent…

If you want to warm your colours, use your Reds, Oranges and Yellows: if you want to go cooler, use Greens, Blues and Violets.

As mentioned before, your primary colours are Red, Yellow and Blue; these cannot be made by mixing other colours. Your secondary colours are Orange, Green and Violet, each made by mixing two of the primary colours. Then there are the tertiary colours, there are six of these and are made by mixing a primary colour with what would be the adjacent colour on a ‘Colour Wheel’ for example.

If I am airbrushing a portrait, I tend to decide on and mix the Flesh colour first by maybe using a Flesh tone and add an Ocher rather than something like Black, then deciding on a background colour…Grey for example…I will put a lot of the Flesh colour in with the Grey, this will ensure the portrait and background tones are balanced and relative. These details really do help your art work.

So, I think people will decide on many different colours or very few in there paint collections depending on what they paint and as I never use paint straight out of the bottle, I always mix my colours, I tend to have a lot of pre-mixed paints ready to add to whatever colours are needed for whatever piece I am painting.

Back