mixing Createx Illustration color to a skin color

Patrick Van Laere

Gravity Guru
I mixed the colors for the eye project of Dru Blair, but the color that I get is very dark!
maybe I'm doing something wrong ;-)

15 drops burnt umber
10 drops red violet
2 drops sepia 20 drops high performance reducer

can someone give me an example for a light skin color?

Its been awhile since i Dru's eye project, but if you are using the ratio's he has recommended then you may just be spraying it to heavily, make sure your psi is low and do light passes.

I have only mixed this paint in these proportions and it looks like a red purple in the bottle!
dit not a spray test because I thought it must be "a light pink as the etac paint"
gonna try this mix again

I just made the mix again and payed extra attention to the right paint and proportion with the same result
tonight when I come back home I'm going to spray a fine layer and view the result ;-)

I just made the mix again and payed extra attention to the right paint and proportion with the same result
tonight when I come back home I'm going to spray a fine layer and view the result ;-)

The mix sounds strange to me, and I could well be wrong here but isn't the mix supposed to be added to white in different amounts to achieve variations in the overall work on a face? I woukd imagine this mix would be difficult to use on its own unless you were painting Samuel L Jackson.

I'm basing this on Dru's buffering theory of adding trans colours to white to create an opaque, this has got me curiouso_O

that mix will give you a dark transparent color that leans toward a redish /violet and it needs to be sprayed in real thin layers as stated before

In my first portret I use the schmincke airo color
flesh Tint over A lightly misted yellow
I think the color is ok only more reddish-brown like for the eye shadow ;-)
in the future I would like to follow a color mixing course, now I am still unsure about the use of colors

skin.jpg

Last edited:
you are using Schminke, if you are using ratios as per Dru's recomendation then that may explain why the colour isnt showing correctly.

Different companies use different pigments to create their colours and that will throw different results with different brands.

No this is an empty Schmincke bottle that I reuse again!
but I use the
Createx Illustration color to mix the flesh tone! I was just not sure of the color I got after mixing.
Tomorrow I gonna try this flesh tone, if I mix the high performance reducer for how long can I still keep this paint?

No this is an empty Schmincke bottle that I reuse again!
but I use the
Createx Illustration color to mix the flesh tone! I was just not sure of the color I got after mixing.
Tomorrow I gonna try this flesh tone, if I mix the high performance reducer for how long can I still keep this paint?

Sorry , the first line on your previous post stated . . "In my first portret I use the schmincke airo color"

You can add reducer to it without any major issues, officially Createx state a shelf life of 72hrs. I know others have had paint & reducer for longer without issue. Just dont add it to a fresh bottle of paint, just into your mixing bottle should be fine for at least a few days.

I should have looked at the whole tutorial first :)
then I would have known that this red skin color was correct
because afterwards there is a light layer of sepia being sprayed
now I was already too darkcolor eye.jpg

I always watch the entire video first.
Then pick up the airbrush and paint and paint while the video is running.
As you’ve discovered there are things that happen early in the video that don’t make a whole lot of sense until later.

I have made an effort to give the eyebrow more structure, I know this is not good yet
but when I practice, the lines are better than when I do this on a piece of work, then the nerves play to mess it up
also afraid to go to far outside the eyebrow!oog wenkbrouw afgewerkt.jpg

Probably way too late to post, but remember, it's transparent skintone, so it will look dark on the bottle. Same way candy yellow will look almost black on the bottle. It needs to be tested by spraying on the substrate.

Back