mixing gray scale

• Thread starter crash bandicoot
  • Start date
C

crash bandicoot

Hello some time back i found a site. With a detailed description of a guy mixing a gray scale
im sure it was for airbrushing applications but i had to do clean install on my PC and cant find it anywhere.
Can anyone help.
my scale will be made with wicked or auto air

Using Wicked Detail:

10% = 150 drops white, 1 drop black (150:1)
20% = 315 drops white, 5 drops black (63:1)
30% = 35 drops white, 1 drop black (35:1)
40% = 15 drops white, 1 drop black (15:1)
50% = 10 drops white, 1 drop black (10:1)
60% = 5 drops white, 1 drop black (5:1)
70% = 2 drops white, 1 drop black (2:1)
80% = 1 drop white, 1 drop black (1:1)
90% = 1 drop white, 3 drops black (1:3)

This is what I use and they should be pretty close to an actual gray scale.

Yep, gonna have to write this one down myself. Thanks Wicked, i hardly ever keep track of mixtures either, it seems like i never spray the same color twice anyway, but i figure eventually ill regret it. Lol

Using Wicked Detail:

10% = 150 drops white, 1 drop black (150:1)
20% = 315 drops white, 5 drops black (63:1)
30% = 35 drops white, 1 drop black (35:1)
40% = 15 drops white, 1 drop black (15:1)
50% = 10 drops white, 1 drop black (10:1)
60% = 5 drops white, 1 drop black (5:1)
70% = 2 drops white, 1 drop black (2:1)
80% = 1 drop white, 1 drop black (1:1)
90% = 1 drop white, 3 drops black (1:3)

This is what I use and they should be pretty close to an actual gray scale.

is there a mistake on this

The 20% seems a little off from the others.. 315 drops is a lot of paint hehe. But regardless that is a very cool and handy chart. Thank you for posting this Trevor. Im definitely gonna write this one down :)

See, this is where my lonely brain cell gets confused. I see 63:1 and think 63 drops white to 1 drop black. I know I'm missing something, more brain cells probably so that one I have isn't a Billy no mates.

See, this is where my lonely brain cell gets confused. I see 63:1 and think 63 drops white to 1 drop black. I know I'm missing something, more brain cells probably so that one I have isn't a Billy no mates.

it is 63 to one squish...i think he /she made a mistake with 315

Yeah, the 315 thing really threw me, hope Wicked pops in sometime, there's probably a reason. As soon as stuff gets mathematical I'm lost. That's why I just wing it, I'm too easily confused Lol. And that's why I'll never be a photorealist, I should really learn this stuff.

But , But, I just got 313 drops into the bottle and now you tell me 63 is enough!!!!!

EEEKKKK!!! mathematics.....brain hurt :confused: I would never get it right because i'd get halfway through and loose count and have to start over, and over, and over.....do you see a pattern here? lmao

I'm with Splasha LOLOL..Charts are all good and that one no doubt is handy for many but it is really simple to mix up for greyscale..Start with half a cup of white, add one drop of black...test spray...Is it dark enough? add another drop of black if not, no more if happy LOL..

But this is the way I do it...

Make a mid grey (A mid grey is easily judged for most, oh yer make a shizload, bout 200ml), spilt it in 3 and adjust 2 of them, one with about the same volume of white, bout 1-1, the other with 1-1 black, again 3 distinct grey shades..Reduce then to your desire..Making a decent amount is very important, grey believe it or not is bloody hard to match perfectly unless ya wrote down ya mix..It doesn't matter if ya make two much, often I'll use a full 500ml bottle of white to do this..When ya have ya 3 main shades, put them in their own paint bottle and you'll likely have enough for a few decent sized works..

So there is now quite a fair mix of 3 distinct shades of grey..When spraying these individual shades, through speed, trigger control and intensity of the opaque paint control IE 0% through to 100% you have now in theory created at least 300 different shades of grey..

Mixing too many shades can get a little confusing, like which one did I use again for that and having such a minute difference between them IE 10% wnt look a hell of a lot different to 20% in the jar seems for me a little overkill..

Just mix your main 3, its easy once ya get used to what a light, medium and dark grey looks like and that's pretty easily judged, use intensity and build up then from these main 3 to create a myriad of grey shades..Good luck..:)

I'm still not with the whole grey scale thing .... I just wing it till it looks right.
There was a gray scale Tut on the old forum which was recent which shoed the checkered squares ..... That did my head in!
Mybe you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :(

Back