For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Model A interesting drawing

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Robbyrockett2, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

It really just caught my interest because I've never seen it.

My guess is it wasn't sufficiently less expensive so people just got the model A instead.

The eclipse design was after olympos. It's the most recent Japanese full airbrush patent.

The changes made after olympos to the micron head/needle seem to indicate that katsuaki has a pretty good idea of what he's doing. Whether that comes down to actual calculation or trial and error plus experience is a different matter.
    Then of course some changes were simply made possible/practical by the advent of CNC and better tooling materials.
    Some for the better, some simply for manufacturing ease.

As you've said though, really only minor variations have ever taken place beyond the wold a1.
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

Wanted to mention that, but didn't. Just for the reason the series is not for detail work and the spraying end is just like in any other not detail airbrush.
    The only thing about Eclipse is self centering nozzle, but it was successfully manufactured long time before. So I saw no reason to mention this series of the AB, as I saw nothing revolutionary new, just nothing.

Definitely, improvements were done. I see some other improvements that can be done.
    I do not understand why people having been all charged with the equipment, more over having factories, remain at the state of making the range of models they had 30 years ago.
    CNCs are good, those do more precision to the parts, but in the end HP-C and HP-C+ spray equal, but I like HP-C more for it has just better body. So, the improvement of new model is very questionable, though it's my opinion.
    I mean, new machines did nothing for us to have have better airbrushes. They all are as they were decades ago. I don't mean better finish and better lettering on the bodies, but they don't work for significantly better for spraying and convenience. All been said is just about new models and real improvements, I'm not saying they manufacture smth bad now.
  3. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I'm gonna throw another bone into the conversation ;). Mostly the comparisons are being talked about between, say, the Wold, and the Japanese brushes. The Wold was perhaps the first to introduce the head system, the Japanese certainly were inspired by the construction... The design has pretty much been the same since the 30's, and represent some of the best... BUT, what about the European models. There are a gob that came out of Germany, and Eastern Europe that have completely different and equally common construction - that also offer arguably equal performance. Aerograph, Fischer, Heikel, Grafo, Efbe, and the list goes on and on - I would say H&S is the most recent purveyor of the build style. I have a Heikel that was made in the late 90's that has parts that will fit one pre-WW2, that works like a charm :thumbsup:.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  4. Robbyrockett2

The European brushes as I understand it started out by copying foreign designs as well.
    I haven't even begun to look at their history enough to understand where the main common design started, but I might understand better if you clarified what elements you're referring to as sort of defining the commonality among them.
    If you could even just show a couple examples I'd probably understand which design elements you mean.

Fischer and aerograph seem to me to heavily resemble the model A.
  5. DaveG

It was Burdick who left the States, and moved to England that designed what became the Aerograph. Pretty sure he also worked for Thayer and Chandler prior to his move overseas. The head systems on many of the European brushes is very different than, say, the Model A, or Micron style. Most use a long nozzle who's outer shape controls airflow through the head, and that seal with a single cap. The current H&S nozzle/head set up is very similar to a very early Heikel, or Aerograph.
  6. Robbyrockett2

Ah ok, I think there's a clue to that system sort of vaguely referred to in HS 's general history.....around when did that nozzle system start out, or become prevalent?
  7. DaveG

I would guesstimate 20's -30's. The very early brushes marked at "Burdick" - about identical to the Aerograph they became, had a nozzle that was built in - even though the rest of the body/head construction was the same. These would have been out of England. Heikel was doing something similar in Germany, although nothing else about the brands was remotely similar.

I was interested in a Burdick marked brush that came up for sale, but at some point in it's history, someone had cut the built in nozzle, and retrofit a removable Aerograph nozzle to it. I found out later that the modification was actually carried out in the shop that became Aerograph.
  8. Robbyrockett2

That makes sense now.
    Looking at burdicks brushes and patents I can see where that long nozzle developed from.

Also where that separated body like on heikel or the colani came from.
    Not a big change from this burdick.
    http://www.airbrushmuseum.com/airbrush_museum_05.htm
    DaveG likes this.
  9. Robbyrockett2

I still don't get the connection between devillbiss and Germany yet though....it's obviously there but devillbiss being the son of an American doctor here ...I guess I'd have to look at devillbiss history a little more.
  10. DaveG

Interesting that the early Burdick patent was for pottery glazing - pretty sure that was Thayer Chandlers original business as well.
  11. Robbyrockett2

Yeah arts crafts, pottery,China,pyrography.
    Thayer was one of the first pottery dealers to go deal in Europe after ww1 ...1918 1919 ish.
  12. Robbyrockett2

All in all the same like 5 players basically seeded the world.
    DaveG likes this.
  13. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Mac-Valve Maestro!

doc1 and Robbyrockett2 like this.