For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Moved

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by beginner-James, Sep 12, 2018.

1. beginner-James

beginner-James Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Well I've made a move this is home for me and fluffy. All I have to do is tidy up and make a desk so fit lights and shades

20180912_180128.jpg
    Beginner-James
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Is that an outdoor area or a covered deck...? Looks great.
    jord001 and beginner-James like this.
  3. beginner-James

It's my conservatory quick question airbrush not spraying correctly tonight just taken the cap off and found lots of bubbles is this correct or is there a leak

20180912_220340.jpg

Help help help

Beginner-James
    jord001 and HellBird like this.
  4. twood

twood Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

It looks like you have a clog or things aren't tightened properly....first things to check...
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Its nice when you have a dedicated area, you're more likely to sit and paint if you dont have to set up / tear down each time.

As for the bubbles:
    - needle not seated correctly
    - blocked nozzle or severe tip dry
    - paint to thick for your nozzle size, try adding some reducer
    - air leak (cap or head not sealing correctly)
    -flared / split nozzle
  6. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I agree with Tony, That bubble-pipe your airbrush is imitating is probably something not tightened up properly or clog. My H&S bubbles when the aircap isn't cinched in tight.
  7. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

Tiny Gremlins have converted it to a spa. A cup of paint on a heating pad with a fish tank aerator will attract them away. It must be set within 4 ft, closer is better and the rim must be no taller than 30mm.
    If you can paint them small enough, images of tiny Gremlins in bikinis also helps to lure them away from the brush.
    The rest of these guys are crazy, and aren't making sense
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. Robbyrockett2

Irish ants are another possibility. They brew beer in there. In that case little capfulls of beer left elsewhere after you clean it will do the trick, hopefully it's not that, always leads to having to put out more and more beer.
  9. beginner-James

Morning all
    So I've just spent the last 45 minutes cleaning my Airbrush, those little gremlins and ants are dirty bugger they can't clean up after them selves look what they left behind

20180913_064122.jpg

This was left in my nozzle BUT I'm not convinced I've got all of it out, trigger feel much smoother but when I've inserted the needle I can't feel metal on metal the contact feels soft even sponge. I don't think cotton buds are helping plus I had to wash my shading grey last night as a dry ring of paint came away from the bottle spout

Beginner-James
    jord001 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  10. JackEb

What paint did you last use in it and what cleaning fluids do you have on hand?
    jord001 likes this.
  11. beginner-James

I only use golden high flow acrylic trans, water and badger brush cleaner also rubbing alcohol but only use the alcohol every now and again

I'm moving to a synthetic sponge as i cleaned the tip/needle this morning then removed the crown and cap that holds the crown and there was cotton fibres on the needle tip

Beginner-James
    jord001 likes this.
  12. [amw]

[amw] Double Actioner

I'd suggest leaving the nozzle to soak for a while (say half an hour?) in something that will soften dried paint - so assuming you were using some kind of acrylic I'd suggest isopropyl alcohol (Propan-2-ol) or ammonia solution of some kind. BTW I wouldn't suggest inhaling vapours from either of these, so probably best to leave it to soak somewhere with good ventilation.

It's quite important when soaking your nozzle to make sure you agitate it a bit to get the little air bubble out - the surface tension of the liquid conspires to trap a little bubble right where you don't want one!

It is also handy to have a sharp, small pointy thing (like an old/unloved airbrush needle) to *carefully* remove any softened paint - I can't over emphasise the care required but sometimes the best thing to do is (and I don't like this word) scrape the inside of your nozzle.

EDIT: just read that you have some rubbing alcohol - it is certainly worth soaking in this, however FYI this is usually 95% methylated spirit in the UK (unlike in the US where it is often isopropyl alcohol).
    jord001, beginner-James and crazyvet like this.
  13. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Ditto m giving it a soak and another clean then reassemble ensuring everything is tight. All will be well after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001, beginner-James and crazyvet like this.
  14. beginner-James

Well I it nice to know that my instincts where right there is a lot of paint in that nozzle as the image attached shows rubbing alcohol was left in the tip overnight. So as soon as I received the brush from Joe I ordered a needle and nozzle. So instead of destroying a nozzle and tip lve decided to cut my losses and replace the nozzle and tip as they come as one. Ive not thrown the old one away yet not until my replacement arrives into post some time next week.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice on cleaning the airbrush as I didn't know the history of paint used the only logical conclusion was to replace.

20180914_051428.jpg

Thank you all for advice given and your time

Beginner-James
    doc1, jord001 and HellBird like this.
  15. JackEb

Don’t bin either the nozzle or needle.. keep soaking and ‘probing’ it gently with the needle and it will come clean, always good as a spare and a good lesson in how to clean it or better yet, why keeping it clean is important.

Rubbing alcohol really isn’t as strong as ‘proper’ isopropyl alcohol but better than nothing.
    If it has softened it then just keep going you’ll get there
    jord001, HellBird and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  16. Robbyrockett2

Which brush is this anyhow?

I wouldn't toss it, use it as an opportunity to get confident cleaning inside of your nozzles. After all you were going to replace it anyhow.
    From your other posts I have a feeling your sort of missing this area and you will keep having issues of decreased performance and delayed spray until your confident in scraping/pushing out the buildup that inevitably happens in there. For regular cleaning.

For unknown used pieces;
    Even very tough jobs on very abused brushes are possible.
    Only a rare few 2 component coatings long dried will make these kind of unrecoverable. They are just stainless steel...if need be you can put them in any strength solvent...even aircraft stripper ( probably not needed here)
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    jord001 and HellBird like this.
  17. beginner-James

Robby

The air brush in question is my second-hand Iwata eclipse I've ordered a new tip and also 99.7% acetone so I shall be soaking it over night. I've read that acetone will dissolve acrylic paint, so will ammonia but ammonia will also corrode brass so I will not be using ammonia

Beginner-James
    jord001, Robbyrockett2 and HellBird like this.
  18. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Yup, that will clear your nozzles out in short order. Also excellent for dissolving crud build up on your needles too. Just be sure to use a glass jar with a really tight fitting lid for soaking. Acetone is quite an aggressive organic solvent. Pretty flammable stuff and a mask and good ventilation highly recommended too. Be careful and be safe.
    JackEb, jord001 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  19. Robbyrockett2

Excellent
    Only thing with acetone on dried stuff it usually just makes it gummy and very soft... i use it almost all the time on mine Still requires physically removing the paint.
    But yes awesome, keep working with it even after you get the new stuff... You have nothing to lose.
    I avoided the "scraping" Part as well until I had my cheapo brush and wouldn't be bothered if I destroyed a part. Now it's a fairly regularly part of cleaning. It's really a gentle swirl and push, over and over again but I don't think I could get along without doing it.
    Doing fiberglass we keep buckets around to wash resin off with
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    jord001, SiRoxx and HellBird like this.
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Acetone will work well, I have some for clean up when I do any fibreglass work. I would also recommend 2k thinners although you will need ventilation. It's not as smelly if your soaking your nozzle in it compared to spraying it. Had no problem with any blockage once I used it..

Lee
    SiRoxx and doc1 like this.