Mr muscle window and glass cleaner is great!

Thomas Barber

Double Actioner
Just putting this out there. I started to run low on my air brush cleaner and was looking for an alternative. I read up on glass and window cleaners so i went out and brought Mr muscle 5 in 1 window and glass cleaner. I just tried it out on my french curves and it actually takes the dried paint off better than my air brush cleaner (non diluted). its a fraction of the price for a lot more fluid. And it smells better too!

thanks for the tip, another great idea to put in the memory bank.

Just putting this out there. I started to run low on my air brush cleaner and was looking for an alternative. I read up on glass and window cleaners so i went out and brought Mr muscle 5 in 1 window and glass cleaner. I just tried it out on my french curves and it actually takes the dried paint off better than my air brush cleaner (non diluted). its a fraction of the price for a lot more fluid. And it smells better too!

careful, it might have ammonia in it,

yeah i think you can tell, not for sure but if it blue it has ammonia , but i have used it too, it also makes a great paint thinner

I think the blue one is windex (that i have also herd people use) that one does contain it apparently yes. Mr M. is the green fluid. I wouldn't know if i would be comfortable using it as a thinner, does it not stop it from binding so well?

dont know, i use to have a formula for homemade thinner that contained, glass cleaner, distilled water, and glycerin, and i think iso alcohol, dont know the exact proportions, but im sure you could google it and find the recipe

dont know, i use to have a formula for homemade thinner that contained, glass cleaner, distilled water, and glycerin, and i think iso alcohol, dont know the exact proportions, but im sure you could google it and find the recipe

Yeah i might look into this just to know! its nice to have an understanding of the fluids we use. cheers Ran!

Glass cleaners that are not marked as "Ammonia Free" contain ammonia. You can get ammonia free glass cleaner from automotive centers. It's sold as windshield glass cleaner, and says it is ammonia free.

The reason it is not recommended to use ammonia in airbrushes is it can react with the crome plating.

I'm pretty sure its ammonia free, i just checked its chemical data sheet and it doesn't mention ammonia and a company that tints car windows recommend using it because it doesn't contain ammonia. By the looks of it a lot of folks us it to clean there airbrush too 1:1 with water.

I've used glass cleaner and water for reducer for practice work. I wouldn't chance it on something that I needed to adhere, but for dots and dagger strokes... it's a lot cheaper than burning through reducer on pages that will be thrown away. Some guys swear buy it for everything, but I'm not going to chance it.

I hear that the great Beej Curtis used to reduce his paints using Mr Muscle Liquid oven cleaner.

most water-based paint contains some ammonia and I'm sure thinner does too.

i´m gonna try mr.muscle to clean my airbrush, thanks for the tips guys!

Hi There,
Here is a recipe for DIY Reducer, sais it works with Createx and AutoAir paints. Hav'nt tried it yet. Let me know what you think.

1 cup Rubbing Alcohol
4 cup Water
1 cup Glass Cleaner
5 drops Glycerine

Hi There,
Here is a recipe for DIY Reducer, sais it works with Createx and AutoAir paints. Hav'nt tried it yet. Let me know what you think.

1 cup Rubbing Alcohol
4 cup Water
1 cup Glass Cleaner
5 drops Glycerine

yes it does work but be sure its pure glycerine, you see in the chemist shop in the uk there glycerine is for med,s so they have added some thing to the glycerine. if you want it pure in the uk, put the glycerine in a pan and boil it up slowly. then let it cool you will see the liquid part at the surfice, get a syringe and take the top layer of liquid off. That is the pure stuff. it is also used for making big bangs thats the real reason i think some thing has been added lol. hope you under stand all that.phil

Im going to give this a try.

Thanks for the tip :)

Mike

I use Windex (amonia free) all the time for cleaning between color changes then use the airbrush cleaner to really deep clean or the restorer if needed.

yes it does work but be sure its pure glycerine, you see in the chemist shop in the uk there glycerine is for med,s so they have added some thing to the glycerine. if you want it pure in the uk, put the glycerine in a pan and boil it up slowly. then let it cool you will see the liquid part at the surfice, get a syringe and take the top layer of liquid off. That is the pure stuff. it is also used for making big bangs thats the real reason i think some thing has been added lol. hope you under stand all that.phil

Well I have in my hand a bottle of Glycerine B.P from Boots and it's 100% Glycerine and doesn't say anything is added to it. The have it on the Cough Syrup shelf.
Boots Value Health Glycerin B.P - 200ml - Boots

What would be really good would be a Home Brew Airbrush cleaner/restorer.

Back