My AAD Journey

Friday I ran across an auction where the seller was getting rid of stuff from her father's garage. She had an auction for an Iwata HP-SB that was advertised as possibly missing pieces. From the photos it didn't show if the plug for the side feed was there or not and the barbed hose adapter that sometimes comes with these was missing. At the time I saw it the high bid was $40. I put down $60 and won at $56. I was honestly surprised to win.

It showed up today. The box shows a little wear and has an original price tag of $107.89 from "The Art Store" on the bottom.
PXL_20240604_200904142.jpg

The side feed plug was just on the opposite side of the brush in the eBay listing and I don't need the barb fitting. Based on the date code of EC I'd make this to be a 1984 model. It has instructions with a 1983 copyright, but the instruction don't mention this model. They are for the HP-BC, HP-BE1 & HP-BE2.
PXL_20240604_200929536.jpg

I took it apart to see if I needed to order any parts and I don't think it was ever used. There were traces of black ink on the needle that wiped off with my T-shirt and a blast of Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner blew clear. The paint cup is spotless. The one odd thing, maybe it was normal for the time, but the air valve body appears to have been glued into the main body with RTV. It was just chewing up my soft jaw pliers without budging. I had to use a heat gun to break the valve loose from the body and remnants in the threads are stretchy like RTV.

The air valve is the older style with the brass plate at both ends and no O-ring. My HP-B is a year older and came with the same style air valve, That brush was well used and the previous owner used Teflon tape to seal it. At the time I thought the O-ring had just gone missing over the decades.
PXL_20240604_201209508.jpg
To Be Continued ...

Friday I ran across an auction where the seller was getting rid of stuff from her father's garage. She had an auction for an Iwata HP-SB that was advertised as possibly missing pieces. From the photos it didn't show if the plug for the side feed was there or not and the barbed hose adapter that sometimes comes with these was missing. At the time I saw it the high bid was $40. I put down $60 and won at $56. I was honestly surprised to win.

It showed up today. The box shows a little wear and has an original price tag of $107.89 from "The Art Store" on the bottom.
View attachment 89905

The side feed plug was just on the opposite side of the brush in the eBay listing and I don't need the barb fitting. Based on the date code of EC I'd make this to be a 1984 model. It has instructions with a 1983 copyright, but the instruction don't mention this model. They are for the HP-BC, HP-BE1 & HP-BE2.
View attachment 89909

I took it apart to see if I needed to order any parts and I don't think it was ever used. There were traces of black ink on the needle that wiped off with my T-shirt and a blast of Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner blew clear. The paint cup is spotless. The one odd thing, maybe it was normal for the time, but the air valve body appears to have been glued into the main body with RTV. It was just chewing up my soft jaw pliers without budging. I had to use a heat gun to break the valve loose from the body and remnants in the threads are stretchy like RTV.

The air valve is the older style with the brass plate at both ends and no O-ring. My HP-B is a year older and came with the same style air valve, That brush was well used and the previous owner used Teflon tape to seal it. At the time I thought the O-ring had just gone missing over the decades.
View attachment 89912
To Be Continued ...
Yes, the older ones have no o-ring on the air valve, and the valve is sealed to the body with some sort of a white substance. Brush looks super clean, and in great condition. Nice score! I was playing with one that looks like it could be a twin just a bit earlier today.

Is it even possible to replace? I didn't think it was a separate part. To be honest I didn't think it would be worth it to even try. Any machine work would exceeed the value of the airbrush and it's far beyond my capability.
Thats correct, it would probably not be an economical repair if you were to need to pay someone to do it and it would probably require some special equipment and maybe some sacrificial parts to get everything in the right place.

The need to repair everything is my curse!

Back