My airbrush accident from 2018

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

February 22, 2018: I emailed this note to a friend with the following picture: "Every time I use the airbrush, I ceremoniously disassemble it, clean it and put it back together. Even in between color coats. Last night(2/21), after a color coat, while cleaning, somehow and inexplicably it slipped from my hand and fell on the floor. The needle was in but the nozzle/tip were out. The result was this: OUCH!"

2v2ewjHmWxJ21ND.jpg

Been that this airbrush is a "cheap" knockoff sold by Harbor Freight tools, there have never been spare parts available. And this airbrush was already 25 years old at the time of the accident. Since I had another identical unit that a friend gave me years earlier(thou very beaten up) I was able to complete the project.
But I had to try to save this needle. I don't have any special tools. Just hand tools like pliers, small brass hammer, etc. But boatloads of stubborn-ness. The more people told me it was a lost cause the more I worked on it. Took me a few weeks, but at the end, it was back in service, and it is to this day.
Present day picture (April 2023)
You can see it is not absolutely perfect, but good enough to work not only properly, but beautifully so.

2v2ewjHVqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ewjHTGxJ21ND.jpg

30 years of service and counting...
2v2ewjHLCxJ21ND.jpg

The handle is been "serviced". Stay tuned for that one later.

So that's the story of my "airbrush accident".

Thanks,
Ismael

Ouch, That looks like a skid off of a snow sledge 😲 😲 Good job on straightening it out :thumbsup:

First mistake is dismantling the airbrush so much. There is no need to take it apart to clean all the time. Why do that for color changes?

I use enamels and automotive lacquers that can dry up and clog everything within minutes sitting there. From experience, any hint of fast drying oil enamel left behind will dry up and seize the needle from moving, even if I run thinner thru it. In the early years it was a big source of frustration to find a clogged airbrush on the next use.
Automotive clears are particularly challenging as you can't clearly see (pun intended) if it is clean or not.
I also found out along the way that keeping the needle highly polished and smooth also helps.
May be a bit of an overkill, but 30 year old habits are hard to break. One mishap in 30 years, OSHA would be proud of me. :)

Thanks,
Ismael

Hi Tony,
I think I now get your question/comment on color changes. I don't usually do color changes. My airbrushing sessions are usually one color and everything that goes that color gets it. Very rarely I do more than one color in the same session. For example, I may paint a car body and another day I'll paint the seats along with all the interior trim, and a week later mask the body for a stripe or a contrasting color. What I meant by "even between color coats" is actually between coats of the same color. For example, with some automotive paints I may need to wait 15 minutes or more between coats. I usually plan to do a coat every 30 minutes. A car may get up to 6 coats of paint depending on the opacity. That can be a 2 or 3 hours session. I need to at least flush it with thinner between those coats.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

February 22, 2018: I emailed this note to a friend with the following picture: "Every time I use the airbrush, I ceremoniously disassemble it, clean it and put it back together. Even in between color coats. Last night(2/21), after a color coat, while cleaning, somehow and inexplicably it slipped from my hand and fell on the floor. The needle was in but the nozzle/tip were out. The result was this: OUCH!"

2v2ewjHmWxJ21ND.jpg

Been that this airbrush is a "cheap" knockoff sold by Harbor Freight tools, there have never been spare parts available. And this airbrush was already 25 years old at the time of the accident. Since I had another identical unit that a friend gave me years earlier(thou very beaten up) I was able to complete the project.
But I had to try to save this needle. I don't have any special tools. Just hand tools like pliers, small brass hammer, etc. But boatloads of stubborn-ness. The more people told me it was a lost cause the more I worked on it. Took me a few weeks, but at the end, it was back in service, and it is to this day.
Present day picture (April 2023)
You can see it is not absolutely perfect, but good enough to work not only properly, but beautifully so.

2v2ewjHVqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ewjHTGxJ21ND.jpg

30 years of service and counting...
2v2ewjHLCxJ21ND.jpg

The handle is been "serviced". Stay tuned for that one later.

So that's the story of my "airbrush accident".

Thanks,
Ismael
Ismael, if this airbrush is working for you, especially after all the hard work and dedication you put to it, then, as the saying goes in Fury Road, "It's perfect in every way!"
I sometimes struggle with an old airbrush, but I just love attending to it because after all it's part of the whole process for our art creation. Keep up the restoration process on your airbrushes, you're doing great! 👏😊 -Lisa

It looks almost perfect in the picture! Yes, that is, the more time you give to them, the more love you receive from them 😂, congratulations Ismael, great job!

Thank you!
This airbrush is a knockoff of the Badger 150, but it is not one. I have found my real Badger 150s (and GFX which is essentially the same) can get away with a simple thinner flush for 2 or 3 color coats before at least removing the needle is required. Keep in mind I use automotive lacquer paint that dries within seconds. But this particular airbrush, for whatever reason will throw a tantrum if not deep cleaned frequently. I'm sure that have contributed to the fact that it is about 30 years of service and counting, although in the last few years or so it has seen less use as real 150s have taken over.

Thanks,
Ismael

I'm sure that have contributed to the fact that it is about 30 years of service and counting...
That's awesome¡ I remember doing lots of models when childhood and then painting them (Tamiya paint), and yes the enamel paint is very different from acrylics, unfortunately we didn't have an airbrush back then and my brothers and I did what we could with brushes... anyway fun was served...:). Thanks.

I use enamels and automotive lacquers that can dry up and clog everything within minutes sitting there. From experience, any hint of fast drying oil enamel left behind will dry up and seize the needle from moving, even if I run thinner thru it. In the early years it was a big source of frustration to find a clogged airbrush on the next use.
Automotive clears are particularly challenging as you can't clearly see (pun intended) if it is clean or not.
I also found out along the way that keeping the needle highly polished and smooth also helps.
May be a bit of an overkill, but 30 year old habits are hard to break. One mishap in 30 years, OSHA would be proud of me. :)

Thanks,
Ismael
One trick i picked up along the way someplace, was to add a little of a very bright color to the clear in the cup after use, mix with a soft brush - and then start cleaning. It helps to make the stuff a bit more visible while cleaning. Not perfect but easier than trying to see the clear clear ;)

Back