My airbrush setup

surampudijagadeesh

Double Actioner
A lot of newbies and who want to start airbrushing have many questions about the proper setup especially in a country like mine where all you would find will be some cheap chinese stuff. Over about 4 months in the beginning, I wasted so much money to get the perfect setup.

The main problem I faced was with the air leaking, the solution for which was very cheap and efficient.

The airbrushes: I have one paasche talon, one fengda side feed airbrush, two hvlp spray guns.

The compressor: I, at first, was only able to get a piston type compressor, which sounded like loud tractor and there was too much oil to work with. then I got a mini aibrush compresso(the one the tattoo guys use), which was not sufficient for me. But after a lot of research, I found that there were compressors the dentists use, which were powerful, oil less and come with a good 30litre tank.
This was a dental compressor, 1hp, oil less, with auto shut off which can be set according to your need. I had it set to 40psi on, 90psi off. the compressor itself can go up to 150psi with no restrictions. it is silent, efficient and can be used to spray clear on a full motorcycle, provided you have the proper air filter and all. Coming to the cost, it cost me just double the price of the cheap chinese tattoo compressor and with a 2 year warranty.
So, if you are into serious airbrushing, find a good dental compressor. All you would need to worry about is the moisture.

The air-line: This will be the frustrating part. After wasting so much time and money, I found a very simple and efficient, leak-proof setup.

for the fittings I got myself some push-fittings of the required thread-size from a manufacturer called Janatics. the tubing is of PU type, which can just be pushed into one of the openings, so if you are not going to use it for a while, you can remove it easily without the hassle of removing the fittings.

The air filter was also from janatics with a auto-drain valve(which can be bought separately), so that I dont have to worry about going to the filter to drain the water.

I have also set up quick connects to all the guns. Now I do not have to move around removing and fitting stuff. I will post some pics some day this week.

good to know.mine is as noisy as the one you describe,so at first chance i´ll see to get one!!!thnx man!!!

I'm also using a medical compressor with an oil free motor. Not as quiet as the fridge motor type but I can paint in the room next to the main bedroom while my wife is sleeping.

I'm also using a medical compressor with an oil free motor. Not as quiet as the fridge motor type but I can paint in the room next to the main bedroom while my wife is sleeping.

yes a little louder than the fridge motor type, but considering the performance and pricing, medical compressors are best for airbrushing. and they give out clean air.

The description of the medical type compressor sounds very interesting indeed, never come across one at any shows though.
I will have to do a bit of digging now though as it could solve all my problems.
Thanks for the heads up:encouragement:

The description of the medical type compressor sounds very interesting indeed, never come across one at any shows though.
I will have to do a bit of digging now though as it could solve all my problems.
Thanks for the heads up:encouragement:

go to a dental equipment shop. they usually have those

Back