My bran new compressor and I already swapped the motor :)

WhiteKnight

Code Dragon Slayer
Hello all,

Just got me a new 8 gallon compressor on the weekend it was on special at Canadian Tire $139.00

0589316_1.jpg

It had an oil filled motor, so I thought it might be more quiet than my small oil-less compressor and might replace my home made compressor which has less capacity (wrong). After assembling it and filling her up with oil I started it and boy was it loud, I thought the neighbors would come knocking even if we were in the middle of the afternoon (I live in an apartment building). So I decided I would swap the motor for a freezer motor I was saving for an other DIY silent compressor project. Added a water and oil separator between the motor and the tank and wired her up. Here she is all done.

new_compressor.jpg

Ain't she a beauty? Works great too, takes a little longer to fill the tank but the motor stays cool :). I will be painting the motor and the base where the motor sits.

Happy :)

Last edited:
Nice one WK. I run 2 compressors on mine and I have a 4.5 gal tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice one.
I just did this myself. I like the filter between the motor and the tank. Good thinking.

Ahhh, well there you go, I even commented on it already! Haha.
Your work is a thing of beauty. Mine looks like a cheap old DIY with hose and hose clamps.
You have proper fittings and everything! Nice work.

Hey WhiteKnight.
How do you have such clean connections in and out of the filter?

I'm using some high pressure hose and a few hose clamps to join the motor outlet to the tank inlet.
It works, but is ugly as hell.

Bought pipe nipple connectors for the the different pipe sizes similar to this:

fwf-typ-line.jpg

which fit the filter :) and all my piping is copper piping, soldered to the motor and with a mix of flared fittings and compressed fittings.

Hello all,

Just got me a new 8 gallon compressor on the weekend it was on special at Canadian Tire $139.00

View attachment 27657

It had an oil filled motor, so I thought it might be more quiet than my small oil-less compressor and might replace my home made compressor which has less capacity (wrong). After assembling it and filling her up with oil I started it and boy was it loud, I thought the neighbors would come knocking even if we were in the middle of the afternoon (I live in an apartment building). So I decided I would swap the motor for a freezer motor I was saving for an other DIY silent compressor project. Added a water and oil separator between the motor and the tank and wired her up. Here she is all done.

View attachment 27658

Ain't she a beauty? Works great too, takes a little longer to fill the tank but the motor stays cool :). I will be painting the motor and the base where the motor sits.

I was wandering if you could help me I was thinking about purchasing this compressor and wandering if it would be good for airbrushing DeVilbiss 8650D Nebulizer or Airbrush Air Compressor any help I would appreciate it

I was wandering if you could help me I was thinking about purchasing this compressor and wandering if it would be good for airbrushing DeVilbiss 8650D Nebulizer or Airbrush Air Compressor any help I would appreciate it

I am not familiar with this compressor, from what I can read it is continuously running, and can go up to 90 psi. Don't know how it handles itself. Just make a new thread in the compressor forum section asking this exact question I am sure someone will be able to answer you better.

Check this video out it has lots of info http://www.airbrushtutor.com/tutorials/83-equipment/110-compressor

Hope it helps :)

I was just looking at doing the same thing but was worried that it may not provide enough air flow. Do you know what size compressor you have? How has it been for airbrushing during extended periods?

All the videos I have found where people have built them and are testing them, only test to see what kind of pressure they can get and not the airflow or how they work while airbrushing.

would a motor out of a dehumidifier work. I have a old one. I was going to try if would work

It would depend on the size. From what I have been seeing, 1/4 hp compressor of this type would be minimum for airbrushing. I would not want to try anything smaller and even to me, that would be iffy. Can you find hp rating on the compressor you have?

I was just looking at doing the same thing but was worried that it may not provide enough air flow. Do you know what size compressor you have? How has it been for airbrushing during extended periods?

All the videos I have found where people have built them and are testing them, only test to see what kind of pressure they can get and not the airflow or how they work while airbrushing.
Well my compressor motor is from a freezer, and I have no idea of its CFM but the tank is an 8 gallon and gets pressurized to 120 psi. It will take almost 20 minutes to fill from empty, but when full I can airbrush for almost 30 minutes before the motor kicks in at 90 psi and will run around 5 minutes to fill her back up. These pressures are way higher than the pressures at which I use my airbrush and I have no problems with variations in pressures when the motor kicks in.

I am not sure if I could run a big paint gun since they use a lot more air and at higher pressures than airbrushes, it would probably work well until the tank got bellow 90 psi, then I'm not too sure if the motor could keep up with the amount of air being used.
would a motor out of a dehumidifier work. I have a old one. I was going to try if would work
@shadow2462 used a motor from a dehumidifier, seemed to work for him. You can check his thread here: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/my-home-made-silent-compressor.10338/

Hope this helps :)

Paint for 30 minutes and run the compressor for 5 minutes. Sounds like it is working pretty good to me. I'm looking at buying a new 1/2 to 3/4 hp compressor. Will probably be overkill but for the small price difference, why not? I'm planning to use an 11 gallon tank at 125 psi too.

A big paint gun would probably make it run the whole time.

Thanks for your reply. It helps in my decision.

Hello all,

View attachment 27657

View attachment 27658

well done.
I have just purchased a Badger Anthem 155 along with a Badger 180-11 compressor. I know that the compressor is tankless & might have some problems with it (overheating, constant moisture etc) so I'm thinking about hooking it up with this airtank:
attachment.php

The questions - is this 3gal tank ok to join with the compressor? Have no idea what I need or how to do it - any and every assistance would be more than welcome - thank you in advance.

Back