My brush won't spray paint ...

G

Gonz

:confused: My airbrush won't spray paint and bubbles come out the paint cup. Air does flow out the tip too. I've tried everything to clean it besides soaking the whole brush in varnish remover. I soaked the tip and ran a brush through it, cleaned the needle and ran a brush through the needle passage until the needle would pass through clean, clean, clean looking through a magnifying glass for any debris I may have missed. The paint mix is the same I was using just 2 days ago and it used to spray fine. I think a passage is blocked but I don't know where or how to get at it to clean it. Currently the brush is sitting with water in the bowl to soak. (I'm using water soluble paint.)

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate your assistance with this one.

Thanks.

Check your nozzle it may be cracked where the needle fits in it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Check your nozzle it may be cracked where the needle fits in it.

I checked for any debris or problems & didn't see anything wrong. Perhaps I should have mentioned it is metallic paint that I'm usung in case that matters any.

Thanks

Yeah thats it your flake in the metallic is to big. You may need a .5 tip to spray it.... that is all i use for metallics.

Yeah thats it your flake in the metallic is to big. You may need a .5 tip to spray it.... that is all i use for metallics.

Ok. So now that it's in there how can I get it out? It won't even spray straight water now.

Soak the nozzle and everything that comes off the front of your airbrush in lacker thinner, then use the air hose to blow it out and clean real good. Do not soak the whole airbrush in lacker thinner it will ruin your o rings

Ok. I did as you said and it worked for a few moments and stopped again so I put laquer thinner in the bowl to soak for an hour or so and again it's on and off so it appears we are on the right track. Is it ok to soak the unit with laquer thinner in the bowl over night or will the thinner still get at the o-rings? Right now it's soaking with water in the bowl for the day while I go to work but I'm not sure that's strong enough to remove whatever is causing he air to back up into the bowl rather than draw the fluid out the nozzle.

If you have a newer iwata you can soak it, other wise its not good to soak it unless you know is has solvent proof o rings and packing. I would suggest using an old tooth brush to push down in the front of the nozzle. I would suggest buying a new nozzle and needle and start over if this persists, and get a bigger setup for spraying metallics from here on.

While you have your nozzle is soaking you can use a pipe cleaner or similar to clean the passage from your paint cup to your nozzle. You may still have gunk in there which is re-clogging your tip.
Try back flushing also when you are cleaning or changing colours. With your air cap on, hold a rag or your finger gently over the tip and pull back for paint while you have your water or solvent for cleaning in your cup, this shopuld direct air back up the paint passage way and into the paint cup, this blows old paint and gunk back into the cup. Tip this out and repeat with cleaning fluids again until it stops then just blow the fluids through for a bit to finalise cleaning.
hth,
Mick.

I got it sorted out. What I thought was one piece holding the nozzle in place was actually 2 that had to be separated with pliers.Once I opened that up it was totally plugged with dried paint. It's now working fine. Thanks for the assistance. ;)

Back