My Christmas present. (New AB)

Amra

Needle-chuck Ninja
I've had a Paasche VL for a long time, and it can do some pretty good work (I still want to make a post showing that its not as bad as some people seem to think, with the proper reduction and pressure) but I've mostly used it for stencil work and miniatures, I don't do much fine art with an airbrush, though I would like to start. I am alright with with a pencil, but never done a lot of freehand/illustration work with the AB.

Still, I've done a lot of research and felt I needed to get a good gravity fed airbrush. Something I could drop the pressure pretty low and get really close to the paper, yet still be versatile enough cover larger areas, paint miniatures, or do some of the custom stencil work that I like.

Anyhow, after lots of research listening to everyone's recommendations, and noticing how everyone raves about Iwata, I decided to ask for an HP-CS, and Santa delivered!

So, a big thank you to everyone for their recommendations, suggestions and helpful hints!

Also, side note: This kit (the Hobby Lobby kit with paint and moisture trap) did not come with a quick disconnect adapter or a hose, so in anticipation of this gift I bought a male quick disconnect, and found that it *does* fit into the paasche female quick disconnect on my current hose. So there is no need to buy a new hose or different hose adapters for my compressor. I assume these QD's are pretty standard across the board then.

Attachments

• My_New_HPCS.jpg
    My_New_HPCS.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 42
Wow nice present Santa left you I as well bought a new CS unit still waiting on some other parts to arrive before I can use it tho :)
I was surprised by the weight and feel of it ,(seems very nice ) and you can tell it is a quality item :)

I received the same kit from hobby lobby, had been using a Badger Krome before the Eclipse, there is just no comparison, the Iwata is awesome, very glad I got the Eclipse!

I didn't see how to quote, but Nada, I just clipped a link off my spring, it is a little stiff? But works so well!

I felt tje same way...
All 3 of my iwatas are like that. Just high quality build, nothing rough.
So when you getting some paint? Food coloring and water can get you practicing.
Well I have some paint( ty donna ) and I just got in my iwata air compressor about 1 hour ago and got the hp cs yesterday ohhh and an easel and large metallic dry erase board .. now I cannot play till after xmas to many people coming over etc etc for the next two days :)
will be happy when all settles down , plus am going to order a ton more paints and needles from donna etc etc :)
also have all the xatco knifes and 50 sheets of bristal board , some stencils etc etc
I am ready to start tattoing my fingers lol

I didn't see how to quote, but Nada, I just clipped a link off my spring, it is a little stiff? But works so well!
You can just click "Reply" which is beside the "Like" and it will automatically set up the quote, if you want to quote something but its not from a post in the thread you can type the following.
Code:
[quote]thing you want to quote here[/quote]
Hope that helps! :)

Nada said:
All 3 of my iwatas are like that. Just high quality build, nothing rough.
Yeah. I am very impressed with the build quality of this airbrush, the lettering on the side is very crisp, there are no burrs anywhere, the threads are all very smooth without jagged edges, the trigger is smooth and responsive even if a bit stiff, which as you and others have noted in this thread can be changed with some slight modification to the spring. I even disassembled the airbrush and everything seems quite nice Hopefully in the next day or two I will get to run some paint through it, but today I work, then cook Christmas dinner all night, then spend the morning with family and eat, then back to work! I'll sleep after that! :sleep:

Last edited:
why the spring please?
The factory spring on the eclipse is just a bit stronger tension than some other airbrushes.
Some like it, some dont. Im a middle of the road guy, but even for me it was stiffer than i like. To be honest though, i have factory springs in another iwata and can tell bit once i start airbrushing i dont notice it really.

Just when I thought my Christmas was done, my family brings out a second awesome gift!

new_compressor.jpg

Its an ELITE-225XP, 1/3HP with two modes, one that turns on at 40psi and off at 60, or a high performance mode that pumps up to 100psi! Now, before anyone says it, don't worry, I don't plan on using this 'as is' for very long. I have an existing tank which I want to add. Hopefully I can mount this on top of that tank. I might even strip the paint off the old tank, sand it down and give it a new color.

Hope everyone else's holiday was wonderful too!

Just when I thought my Christmas was done, my family brings out a second awesome gift!

View attachment 40757

Its an ELITE-225XP, 1/3HP with two modes, one that turns on at 40psi and off at 60, or a high performance mode that pumps up to 100psi! Now, before anyone says it, don't worry, I don't plan on using this 'as is' for very long. I have an existing tank which I want to add. Hopefully I can mount this on top of that tank. I might even strip the paint off the old tank, sand it down and give it a new color.

Hope everyone else's holiday was wonderful too!
Wow that's is very very nice gift there :)
you must have been really good last year lol

Congratulations on your gift. Beautiful brush, I have two of them and will be adding a third and a Micron SB very soon. I love my Iwatas.

CaLz AyrWKz said:
Congratulations on your gift. Beautiful brush, I have two of them and will be adding a third and a Micron SB very soon. I love my Iwatas.
Thanks! I can't wait to try them out! :D:D

I just need an adapter for the compressor and I'm picking up some bristol paper on my day off then I can start getting this brush dirty! A few thousand more dots, lines, daggers and blends and I should be set! :thumbsup:

In order to even be able to use my airbrush with this compressor, it was necessary to somehow get the 1/8th inch output threaded connector to function with my paasche hose. There was a couple ways to go about this, the easiest method would be to purchase a 1/8th to 1/4 inch adapter, but there's no point spending money where you don't need to! So, I decided to replace the output connector altogether!

It took some gentle persuasion with a wrench and a hammer, but I was able to get the old fitting loose (they used some kind of loctite to keep it in there pretty solidly). After that, it was a simple matter of putting a 1/4 inch union in its place and now my paasche hose connects right up!

----
The only downside to this kind of compressor is that it runs constantly while pressing the airbrush trigger, and the pressure fluctuates wildly at the initial press, another small issue is that if you press the AB trigger at the exact same time as the pressure release switch kicks on to keep from pressure locking the diaphragm, it will mess up and pressure will drop almost to 0 before turning back on. Of course, these problems would be eliminated with a tank, and that is something I plan to remedy soon!

The fourth picture is my old cobbled together compressor that I have started to disassemble to retrieve the tank from. The motor is getting quite weak in its old age, so I shall be replacing it with this new compressor!

Attachments

• gentle_persuasion.jpg
    gentle_persuasion.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 8
  • replacement_nipple.jpg
    replacement_nipple.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
  • paasche_hose_fits.jpg
    paasche_hose_fits.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
  • old_compressor.jpg
    old_compressor.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 9
In order to even be able to use my airbrush with this compressor, it was necessary to somehow get the 1/8th inch output threaded connector to function with my paasche hose. There was a couple ways to go about this, the easiest method would be to purchase a 1/8th to 1/4 inch adapter, but there's no point spending money where you don't need to! So, I decided to replace the output connector altogether!

It took some gentle persuasion with a wrench and a hammer, but I was able to get the old fitting loose (they used some kind of loctite to keep it in there pretty solidly). After that, it was a simple matter of putting a 1/4 inch union in its place and now my paasche hose connects right up!

----
The only downside to this kind of compressor is that it runs constantly while pressing the airbrush trigger, and the pressure fluctuates wildly at the initial press, another small issue is that if you press the AB trigger at the exact same time as the pressure release switch kicks on to keep from pressure locking the diaphragm, it will mess up and pressure will drop almost to 0 before turning back on. Of course, these problems would be eliminated with a tank, and that is something I plan to remedy soon!

The fourth picture is my old cobbled together compressor that I have started to disassemble to retrieve the tank from. The motor is getting quite weak in its old age, so I shall be replacing it with this new compressor!
That should work with the tank on it it should stop the pulseing

Back