My Experience with a Badger Krome.

Nada

Air-Valve Autobot!
So as some of you know I bought the Badger Krome from Jeff on the for sale forum, Very good experience. Here is how it is going so far.

I have not even began to attempt a single picture so far.. I am burning through every spare sheet of paper I have and enough paint to have done 3 or 4 portraits so far. I am just making lines and blends and Loop De Loops. I am having so much fun writing names and lines etc that i'm just giddy when I spray with it. Very suprising because I hated doing practice with my old brush. The quality of the atomization is far superior. I am having no troubles despite the fact my regulator is messed up and wont let me adjust below 20 psi or in increments of less than 5 psi. Reducing is a dream with this just basic rough guess reduction both last night and this morning whatever I do it just sprays.

As for what I notice between this and my sparmax:
Smoothness the push for air is very light and very very short distance to push down.
The trigger pull is much longer than the sparmax so there is more travel between a nice line and disaster thus making it easier to control (after a few minutes I adjusted quite well)
The trigger pull has no drag to it, I have it adjusted for slightly stiffer tension than my old brush but there is nothing rough its all just SMOOTH.

The paint just comes out nicer, there is nothing grainy or rough to the surface.

Overspray is reduced, now this is likely a result of nearly half the size needle but I think it also has to do with proper atomization.

I wont say I have wasted my first 3 months, actually having some experience with the old brush taught me some patience and should come in handy because smooth sailing all the time it is not in this Hobby!

Not much else to say, the Krome is a fairly inexpensive option over all. I would say however, I would not even attempt to spray a thick paint through it. I Have been using Com Art, and Jeff sent me some Createx Illustration (I likely hate him for this because this will cost me a lot of money I am certain) I want to try their colors for sure now. Erasability of the CI is far superior to the Com Art and I am painting on Bristol paper(not board paper) And naturally noone local has that paint.

So far I have used a Neo by Iwata, A Sparmax Sp35, A harbour Freight Deluxe and this Krome. Were not talking a slight upgrade here it is worlds apart. The Sparmax was better than the Neo as well.

I think sometimes it is good for those just starting out to battle their way through with say a lower end gun and do it hard..Then picking up that new toy helps as you have to fight it less but because of that fight it does actually seem to help many increase their quality dramatically just by getting that new shiny toy..glad to hear your enjoying it and its working well for you..

Glad to hear your liking it Bill! Like I said, the only reason I even sold it it that I acquired more airbrushes then I could really use.

Exactly Rebel.. I fought my way to the point I had gotten. Which taught me a lot about going slow and careful. I still haven't tried painting a picture yet, been on family time today.
My wife is happy that I am happy so all is good! On that note she could care less what I spend on Art. Which is nice, however I don't go "out with the Boys" Now when I am out she Assumes I am at Jerry's (Artorama)

Im so pleased that you are enjoying your Krome!! I first started with a pache something, then a master G22, and then decided on a Krome. The others were excellent learning tools, and because they were not too expensive, it worked out for me. I still habe the others, but honestly, I never use them. I could always buy more air brushes, but why bother? For me, im happy with my Krome, maybe some day...

Everyone needs a Micron and or an Infinity. ;)
I chose to go the "and" route. :)

Nah, just a micron ;-) Just save that Infinity money towards another micron. lol.

It's seems like a lot of people don't understand why a $100 airbrush may work better than a $30 airbrush. Or those special people who believe they can turn a $30 brush into something equal to a $400 airbrush... It's always good to see when someone gets it. lol.

I've had more airbrushes than I can really remember. But, like most, my first brush was an old clunker. It was a used Badger 175. Not a "precision" airbrush by any means. But, if you can do a dagger stroke on a 175, anything else should be no problem. Especially with the paint we had to use back in those days... That's a whole other thread, though

ah awesome to hear some positivity, the krome is a lovely brush, its certainly a heavyweight which alot of people like, and its spray pattern is really nice, just be sure to keep it nice and clean, those little nozzles can easily clog up..... specially with paints like wicked.....
you will have very few problems with ctx.illustration and the krome, they are a nice paring.

Well one things for sure, this brush really gets dirty! Course I spent like an hour straight with opaque green doing everything imaginable. It seems to like a slightly higher pressure than my old brush. And as I was warned it can clog, but clean it and make sure the hold down nozzle is tight and I can pull razor thin strokes. Still loving it, lots of work left to become competent with it.

I'd really like to see some razor thin strokes (I'm not being facetious) can you post a pic with something as a size comparison?

Thanks, Jim

Well one things for sure, this brush really gets dirty! Course I spent like an hour straight with opaque green doing everything imaginable. It seems to like a slightly higher pressure than my old brush. And as I was warned it can clog, but clean it and make sure the hold down nozzle is tight and I can pull razor thin strokes. Still loving it, lots of work left to become competent with it.

The .21mm generally needs more reduction. Even with my opaques, I generally reduce quite a bit. With the proper reduction, the Krome will spay at lower PSI. Right now, your paint may be a little thick and needs the higher pressure to draw the paint across the needle. Try reducing a bit more and build your layers slowly. This will have you do more strokes, but it's great practice to he the same area multiple times.

It's likely my paint Jeff. I got some closeout bottles of com art. 4 bucks for 4 ounce bottles, they been sitting a long time I'm sure.

It's likely my paint Jeff. I got some closeout bottles of com art. 4 bucks for 4 ounce bottles, they been sitting a long time I'm sure.

Opaques always have more tip dry, just the way it is. When using opaques I tend to flush and back flush more often. I am always cleaning the tip if the needle with a sponge dipped in a 50/50 denatured alcohol/water mix.

Back