For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

My First Piece

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Gordon Read, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Gordon Read

Gordon Read Triple Actioner

[​IMG]

Just black Spectre paint using my badger 105. Used the Iwata freehand stencil.

I know it’s not much compared to you others. But it’s a start.

Please be gentle. (I forgot to put the cap on the cup and spilled paint on the paper. )

Gordon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. crazyvet

crazyvet Mac-Valve Maestro!

Well done. Very nice for a first piece.
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Gordon Read

Thank you.

jord001 likes this.
  4. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Congratulations on the first piece Gordon! There is a lot of positive things to take away from this already. It has dark, mid tone and highlights which is way better than my first attempt, and it’s a pretty detailed piece to attempt. Black can be very unforgiving too, so I think you’ve done a great job managing it.
    On the next go, try using a colour like blue, you may find getting softer transitions a little easier. And for the shapes like the worm gear, keep in mind that it’s a cylinder so if the light source is from above, it’ll have a very slim shade line on top and a larger one on the bottom, with a highlight in the top third.
    You’ve done great with the first one, even with the spill. (Which I do far too often ).
    Nice job.

5. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Very nice. Actually the spills at the bottom add a lot of character!
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

The black around the skull was putting me off so I masked it off on my screen so I could see the skull in its pure state.

Like SiRoxx already said you have the darks mids and lights in various parts of the skull and it's pretty neat too. I like the screw going through the middle, with highlights on the top of the thread. Makes it look more realistic. Your use of the stencils looks pretty controlled, using them at different heights will give you sharp or softened edges which is something you can use in future paintings. This also works with loose shields.

Black isn't the best colour to practice with (along with white) and its usually a pain to spray with, tip dry being the usual suspect to give you greif, however you have done well.

Don't worry about the splashes from the paint it happens to us all but plan on reducing it as you dont want it to happen on your masterpiece, a simple solution is don't have so much in the cup. I'm guessing, but you probably had half cup of paint left after you painted the pic, Just a few drops goes a long way.

Over all a great first piece Gordon. Thanks for being brave enough to share it with us, most people just starting up are scared to show what they have painted. Nothing to worry about here, we are all here because of our common airbrush addiction errr I mean interest and not for who's the best painter. You will get the same feedback whether your an expert or a novice. Thats why I am still here after 8 years and because we have a great bunch of peeps. Airbrushing takes a LOT of practice and time. Even after over 30 years at it, I still learn new things.
    SO, onwards and upwards keep up the good work, looking forward to your next piece.

Well done

Lee
    SiRoxx and Gordon Read like this.
  7. Gordon Read

What great feedback. Thank you very much.

I did do a second attempt using the same template. Hey don’t think it turned out as well but I did try a few different techniques.

I’m going to have another go tonight.

Here is last nights attempt.

[​IMG]

8. SiRoxx

Practice is the name of the game for sure and trying different techniques is always going to benefit.
    As Lee said, it’s great that you’ve posted your work so far. The best decision I made was to post everything, it allowed me to benefit from all the experience available here. People could see what I had done and offer advice I didn’t even know I needed! Great stuff Gordon.

Gordon Read likes this.
  9. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin

Good start! Nicely done.
  10. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

We’ve all done the cap off trick!! Awesome work
  11. Gordon Read

So my Badger airbrush sprung a leak. So while it is out going to get repairs I purchased a new Iwata brush to finish my current practice piece.

I still need to work on not getting spiderwebs bit I’m getting a little better.

Tried to put a background into this one and use a colour instead of black as was suggested. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

12. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

Spidering is a combo of too high air pressure with too thin of paint and sometimes being to close to the piece. when you get spidering lower the air pressure until you no longer get the spidering.
    doc1 likes this.
  13. SiRoxx

You’ll soon get the hang of the spiders. That looks like progress to me. Fantastic effort for such an early piece. Keep at it and imagine where you’ll be in a month!

Gordon Read likes this.
  14. Gordon Read

Thank you guys. It is a lot of fun. I just wish I’d put the effort in a few years ago when I got the airbrush. Oh well never too late I guess.

15. erwin de pan

erwin de pan Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

It has already been said. Thick paint the higher the air pressure. Thin paint reduces the air pressure.
    But that is not everything.
    The closer to your surface, the less paint you give.
    To make a gradient. I start with thin paint with little pressure. And I make a sharp line.
    I spray the next line from a bit higher and overlap the first line with 50%.
    The same applies to the following lines. the higher you go the more paint you can give.
    To make it darker make sure your first coat is dry and repeat what you just did
    The thinner the paint the more layers you need, it is not uncommon that I go 4x over the same line before it is dark enough.
    Working in thin layers with enough drying time prevents spidering.
    Gordon Read and SiRoxx like this.
  16. Gordon Read

This is great. Thank you very much.