My first Skull and Flames

J

JoeF

After finishing the Leopard and being a little dissapointed, I decided to try out a new Airsick stencil I received in the mail last week along with Chuck Bauman's real flames stencils.

I used wicked detail colors and thinned down the oranges and reds to get a "Candy" look.

I pretty pleased with it but as always, appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Skull_Airsick 1st flames 02-25-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it turned out nice. The only thing I would suggest is not so many small hot spots high in the top of the flames. But other than that I think you hit it right on. I don't know how long you have been ABing. But just remember it's all in fun don't put to much pressure/stress on yourself enjoy ever chance you get to lay some paint down.

Thanks Patch...I wanted it to look "Hot" in the middle around the skull

Thank You Liquid Air. LOL...I know, I was realling digging the look of the hot spots and went overboard..lol

As far as length of time airbrushing, this is my 3rd piece and have been ABing for about 4 weeks.

Well then you should be very proud of yourself. I noticed your leopard and you have done some fine pics for your first couple of attempts. Remember enjoy it.

I am having a blast. I learn something everytime from experience and the helpful critiques from everyone here.

looks great. I know when I get back to the states Im def going to get some candies n try out many diff flames n such.

thmelikey.gif

Looking good for a first skull and flames! Practice makes perfect. When doing flames I always use the saying "loose to tight, dark to light" meaning ... do your first set of flames fluffy preferably with very little stencil use and colour them with your darkest colour (for example red) you intend to use. The next layer should have defination with more stencil use and be lighter e.g. orange. Now start picking out the shapes you like and highlight them and then colour them yellow, you can still add some new flame shapes if desired. finally pick some flames to highlight with a white or yellow white mix, less is more here.

Of course you can do this with any colour you want.

Keep up the good work.

Love the choice of colours here , but agree with Liquidair about the hotspots over head.
Otherwise a real smooth job, love it.

Thanks a bunch guys. Its a process...I greatly appreciate all the comments and suggestions!!

I am about to attempt my first free-hand one myself, so I can really see where it's coming from.
Maybe i'll chicken out and use some stencilling to help. Lol.
Gonna try it, but!

After finishing the Leopard and being a little dissapointed, I decided to try out a new Airsick stencil I received in the mail last week along with Chuck Bauman's real flames stencils.

I used wicked detail colors and thinned down the oranges and reds to get a "Candy" look.

I pretty pleased with it but as always, appreciate any comments or suggestions.

View attachment 11458

Well done looking good I agree with liquid air tho in not adding so many hot spots high up also a good way to get a nice candy look with wicked is mixing your colours with wicked transparent base I did this when I started out on flames and now use auto air candies

may I also suggest creating more hot spots on the lower end more yellow to really pull the flames forward if too much you can tone it down with either the red and or the orange

Back