My first totally airbrushed portrait.

Great piece Rhabyan! If that's your first ever portrait then all I can say is there's hope for me yet! :)

I think you did a good job on the painting , it came out very nice. Keep it up and practise lots. This will keep your quality at the top.

lee

Even though this post is like 2 years old DOH!
Chuch, If you want to eventually do portrait work, I would advise you start by picking up a pencil and try drawing portraits before hand. There is quite a bit to learn about the anatomy of the face to even thenk about being any good at it. I have been drawing portraits for quite a long time and I am sure that helps. I really think this is the big reason some just paint skulls instead....LOL. There is quite a bit of room for error and accuracy isn't really needed to goe a decent rendering. At least theat is just my own opinion. At any rate, just keep at it and you shoould see results quite soon. I am still working and struggling at it myself.

Here is a quick photo of what I am working on right now.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rhabyan ... Sorry if I misread that post date!

Thanks for the pencil drawing tip .... But the depressing news is I can't even draw good skulls so now that is not even an option Hahahaha ... oh well!

However, I love photo realistic portraiture and in my non painting hours I am enjoying reading the SBS's on here and looking forward to many hours of learning and growing as an airbrush artist (well I'll be trying!! :) ) with a view to excelling at this facet of airbrushing technique. There are lots of inspirational artists that are on this forum and their SBS's all attest to that.

After giving up on the skulls idea and the free online "learning to airbrush" websites and tutorials, I ended up purchasing Mitch's (ie Airbrush Tutor) basic tutorial that at least has given me a very good head start into portraiture airbrushing as well as learning to master the airbrush (which I am dedicating a lot of time to because I have found it to be very rewarding and challenging plus one I am getting a lot of confidence with)

I have now enrolled into his Perth class to be held in September over here so mate, I am hoping to do some good things one day as a result.

Thanks again for the pencil tip Rhabyan.

This current little number you're working on looks good. When will you have this one finished? Hopefully if you're new'ish to this and I am very new, we can look forward to seeing each other grow in this art / hobby? Cheers mate. Paul

Cluck, I have purchased all but one of Mitches tutorials, but only use them for reference just now. Later, I will actually give them a go. I am glad to hear you are using his basic course it will do you well to practice a lot, especially getting the basic strokes down. When you go to his seminar, I think you will find he EXPECTS you to know these and how to do them well. Otherwise, you will be wasting his time and your money. Perhaps you should read his sylsabus or send him a quick note first to confirm my assumption. I have been wrone quite sometimes so you might want to check to be sure.

As far as skulls go, there are some airbrush artists out there that are quite good at doing skulls, and in fact, make a living at it. So don;t give up so easily. Actually, those that get quite good at airbrushing skulls find out that they can actually do portraits as well. It seems to be a matter of being able to control the airbrush and duplicating what you see. So keep at it, it will only get better. I wish I had a dollar for every pair of eyes I have painted and discarded just trying to get the movements down. So we all strugle at the same thing you are experiencing right now. Just keep at it and it will just all of a sudden happen.

As far as photo realistic is concerned I am trying to move from this to a more personal style of drawing and airbrushing. I have come to the conclusion that even though this is popular at the present time, I don;t want to continue to be just a human copy machine and discover what I have created can be done in a matter of seconds with most any photo manipulative program or a copy machine. Try to be who you are and not something you are not. You might find out later you are the next Rembrandt or Picasso....

Remember: If it's cheaper, it is.

Back