My local art shop stocks com art any good?

T

Tufty

My local art shop stocks com art paints what are they like and what surfaces are the good for?

do I need to reduce with a .2 needle or are they good out the bottle?

price seems reasonable that's why I've asked.....

thank you in advance.

I heard good stuff about them, and they are stated to work on kinda all common materials like metal, plastic, paper....
Not sure if you have to reduce them, but im always caution with what the manufactures say. I got a white here
from Holbein and a black ink, they both state to be working out of the bottle with a 0.1mm nozzle, but in my 0.18mm
Micron i have to reduce them still to be able to paint details.

com art works great and was design for the Micron .18 set up . I have yet had to reduce it for my micron , just shoot it straight from the bottle.

all my paint are com art at this point they work nicely

Great little paint, never had any problems and great straight out of the bottle, colours blend beautifully, sorry cant comment on the smaller needle size as I only have an Iwata HP c + with a 0.3. Excellent value for money:)

White has traditionally been one of the most difficult colors to spray with an airbrush. One of this forum's members, AndreZA has posted an excellent test about various brands of white paints in his blog. Personally I had very good experience with Badger's white, the first choice in white paint of many fine art airbrush artists. Svee has tested Trident white in one of his excellent Youtube clips that he says you can reduce the crap out of it much without this paint losing its opaqueness. He used an Infinity with (I think) a 0.15 nozzle.

Thanks all sounds like I'm heading over to purchase some to give them a try. Great value for the sets.

My local art shop stocks com art paints what are they like and what surfaces are the good for?

do I need to reduce with a .2 needle or are they good out the bottle?

price seems reasonable that's why I've asked.....

thank you in advance.
Iwas thinking of giving com art a go, well when I have used my Etac up, I was lead to be leave it was idea for portrait work, and I will be interested how you and any others get on with it.

Tony

Iwas thinking of giving com art a go, well when I have used my Etac up, I was lead to be leave it was idea for portrait work, and I will be interested how you and any others get on with it.

Tony

Hi tony,

I'm having a few issues with wicked detail at the moment and I wanted a paint to use out the bottle to ease my current frustration lol.
Ill let you know how I get on when I get around to purchasing it.

So you know Medea which makes com art paint is Iwata-Medea makers of Iwata airbrushes, They test all the Micron series with com art straight out the bottle , for a .2 or bigger airbrush I feel it was way to reduce out of the bottle but since getting my micron it is sweet just pour and go .

As far as white paint Com art/ spectra-tex / Trident is the way I would rate them . But Trident is the only one I had to reduce to spray through my micron.

So you know Medea which makes com art paint is Iwata-Medea makers of Iwata airbrushes, They test all the Micron series with com art straight out the bottle , for a .2 or bigger airbrush I feel it was way to reduce out of the bottle but since getting my micron it is sweet just pour and go .

As far as white paint Com art/ spectra-tex / Trident is the way I would rate them . But Trident is the only one I had to reduce to spray through my micron.

I didn't realize that, I'm keen to get over and get myself some. I'm after a new AB so looking to sell some art to get the monies. This could be the answer I'm looking for Com Art.......

thanks again all...

i use them also in my micron and i have never had to thin them, i also find that they have excellent atomization and coverage at higher pressures, i have been using wicked colors, but i have to say, the com colors are just all around excellent. the only problem i have is the 1 oz containers that they sell at my local supplier, man they will go fast, makes me greedy bout using them sparingly.

i use them also in my micron and i have never had to thin them, i also find that they have excellent atomization and coverage at higher pressures, i have been using wicked colors, but i have to say, the com colors are just all around excellent. the only problem i have is the 1 oz containers that they sell at my local supplier, man they will go fast, makes me greedy bout using them sparingly.

That's great to hear, that's looks like the only down side now lol.

Tufffy where is your local supplier in Devon, I pay a fortune on delivery at the moment for com art, but live on the devon border

I now use it exclusively. Stopped playing around with other stuff. A lot let hassles then other brands. You still get tip dry but that can be treated with their medium. I do thin it to use in the Micron but that is because I like using very little air.

I bought it from blue gallery in Barnstaple. It's about £3 cheaper than eBay. They are limited to what they had so due to the lack of airbrushers in area I doubt they will increase stock.

the first paints i used where com art, there great. good for t shirts especially but u can use on other stuff too. whats the name on the shop? i cant find anywhere near here that sells air brush paint!

I'm having a few issues with wicked detail at the moment and I wanted a paint to use out the bottle to ease my current frustration...

Tufty,

Would you please describe the issues you are having with the Wicked Detail colors? I just purchased a group of primary colors for blending/mixing along with a white, and a black. Since I have not yet even opened them I am hoping to learn of your issues before I make that move to actually use them. This way, if the issues are relevant to my own work I could then make the choice of whether to go ahead and use them, or make the return.

Thanks.

Tufty,

Would you please describe the issues you are having with the Wicked Detail colors? I just purchased a group of primary colors for blending/mixing along with a white, and a black. Since I have not yet even opened them I am hoping to learn of your issues before I make that move to actually use them. This way, if the issues are relevant to my own work I could then make the choice of whether to go ahead and use them, or make the return.

Thanks.

Tip dry was the main issue, after using com art for a little while I went back to try the wicked detail. I was amazed although the tip dry is still present I found by using com art I was able to learn psi setting for detail and airbrush control instead of constantly cleaning tip. This helped as now I know what flow to look for and can concentrate on the paint.

hope this helps!

Back