My new Olympos MP200-C

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
Finally I managed to try out my new Olympos Micron today. To be honest because I've been ill I haven't airbrushed at all for a few weeks so I am quite rusty and not really up to standard to use this Micron yet.

I didn't mess about on a blank sheet of paper, I dived straight in and used it on the portrait I had been working on. I used it straight from the box, no breakdown, adjusting or lubing.

I'm not going to say WOW! because to be honest I really need a lot more practise with it before I can do the airbrush justice. Yes it is a superior piece of equipment and I'm sure I'm going to love it once I've got the hang of it and improved my skills.

I have to get used to the large cup cos I'm so used to side feeds but I didn't have any real issues, it's just different.

I did find the trigger quite heavy so I'm going to loosen the trigger and the valve spring tension.

So my first impression is, it's a superb airbrush, gives great detail, excellent atomization with almost no over spray but I need to get used to it and I'm not up to standard for it yet :)

Cheers Mel

Once I'm back in to my airbrushing rhythm again and I've used it a lot more I'll be able to give a proper evaluation.

Just be careful. Soon you will start feeling an urge to get a couple of other models. ;)

Ha Ha Ha!! Not for a while denstore this one has broken my bank.

I'm really glad I ordered 2 extra needles because when I cleaned the airbrush yesterday I saw the needle tip was bent! I did look at it before I started painting and it looked ok so I can only presume I dinged it at some point. So day one and I already have to straighten a needle!!

So it's obvious I can't trust myself not to use the Crown cap luckily I do have a bigger one that fits, I don't like the small one it comes with because paint builds up inside the prongs and it splatters. I don't understand the design at all, the wide 2 prong air cap on the Sotar is much better.

By the way denstore do you or anyone have a tip for unscrewing the base of the air valve so I can reduce the spring tension? There are 2 small slots, I tried a small screw driver but it wouldn't budge.

Also does anyone know where I might get hold of the airbrush parts diagram, they sent one but its not clear and in Japanese.
cheers Mel

I use pointed tweesers for unscrewing the valve Mel. You could buy a cheap 1 euro screwdriver the right width then grind or file the middle of the tip away until you're left with a prong at each side just the right width to fit in the 2 holes.

Lee

Last edited:
I use pointed tweesers for unscrewing the valve Mel. You could buy a cheap 1 euro screwdriver the right width then grind or file the middle of the tip away until you're left with a prong at each side just the right width to fit in the 2 holes.

Lee

Good idea Lee, I'll see if I can find some pointed tweesers.

The screwdriver bit that fits the air valve, are called 'screwdriver spanner bits'; they are available in all sorts of sizes but very limiting to their use. I did exactly what Lee suggested and ground down an ordinary screwdriver slotted bit, works just the same. I tried tweezers but the thread was too tight to begin with and kept buckling the tweezers.

The screwdriver bit that fits the air valve, are called 'screwdriver spanner bits'; they are available in all sorts of sizes but very limiting to their use. I did exactly what Lee suggested and ground down an ordinary screwdriver slotted bit, works just the same. I tried tweezers but the thread was too tight to begin with and kept buckling the tweezers.

Hi Trem, yes mine is really tight and I can't budge it. I was looking at one of my cheapo airbrush spanners which has a hole punched in the other end, I'm going to try filing that down. With the hole already being there it will save me some elbow grease in the middle section and then I'd just have to file down the 2 prongs till they fit.

I also found a bit of plastic that might do the trick although I don't think it will be strong enough but it will be easy to cut to size.

It may be easier to file down the open end of the spanner you mentioned Mel, I suppose it would depend on the diameter!

It may be easier to file down the open end of the spanner you mentioned Mel, I suppose it would depend on the diameter!

I did that but it didn't work, the prongs bent as I twisted, same with the bit of plastic. I've decided to leave it for now, it's not too bad, I'd just prefer it to be a bit lighter to press down. Now I've adjusted the trigger spring tension if feels a lot better.
cheers Mel

Congratulations on the new toy ;-) I've been wondering how you were getting on with it, but things have been a bit busy around here, so I haven't had time to check in. These airbrushes are like a really good pair of shoes- they're great at first, but just keep getting better and more comfortable with time ;-)

Speak to LionArt. They have a Sparmax tool that needs just a bit of modification to fit Iwatas. It's called the "Duel head tool"

View attachment 18922

http://www.lion-art.nl/contents/media/l_dualhead tool.jpg

Thanks AndreZA I can add that to my list for when I next order from LionArt :)

Congratulations on the new toy ;-) I've been wondering how you were getting on with it, but things have been a bit busy around here, so I haven't had time to check in. These airbrushes are like a really good pair of shoes- they're great at first, but just keep getting better and more comfortable with time ;-)

Yes I'm looking forward to using this airbrush a lot, I just have to get used to it. Now I've put in a new needle I should get better results than last time with a bent tip Ha Ha Ha!! I still haven't had time to try it again but hopefully tomorrow.

Hey mel, I'm sure after you've had the time to get to know each other, you will be rocking this. Even with my lowly hp-cs the more I do with it, the more I can do. You'll be churning out masterpieces in no time!

Hey mel, I'm sure after you've had the time to get to know each other, you will be rocking this. Even with my lowly hp-cs the more I do with it, the more I can do. You'll be churning out masterpieces in no time!

Thanks Squishy, I have to say I love my Eclipse and wouldn't do without it. I quit smoking a year ago and the Olympos is my reward even though I can't afford it! Sometimes "ja gotta do what ja gotta do" and I just did :) Now I have to do the work.

Hey congrats at giving up the fags Mel. You definitely deserve a reward for that, and just think, even though it was a lot of money, think of how much money you've saved by not smoking, and how much money it will save you in the future, suddenly that Olympos is looking like a bargain. You go girl!!!!

Here's a scan of my manual:

se98.jpg

89lg.jpg

Thank you sooooo much denstore this is brilliant. It is the same as the Japanese one I've got except it's in English Hooraaa!
Cheers Mel

Back