my social media art journey.

it does seem a cool programme in all fairness, i expect it can do a lot more that i'm currently able to make use of and i'll get better as i use it more. i like that i can take out background noise and add over a sound track. i haven't yet spoken on a video but i think that means i can also do voice overs the same way, so i don't have to speak and film at the same time , which might be more my style.
Yes it’s great, you can remove the audio, add audio, add sound effects and control audio levels, visually you can edit,!alter the speeds, use green screen, it’s as much fun as airbrushing, I’m not an expert at all but it’s worth investing in a good quality Mike.
I personally don’t like to get too involved with social media, as I end up spending too much time on it, this forum is different from social media platforms, Facebook etc, it’s only of interest to a specific group who all have a common interest and it feels safe and welcoming

Reactions: bex
If you've got the budget I definitely recommend Premier Pro, you can get it on it's own without the rest of the suite which is what I do. It's used for Hollywood movies so you won't find the bottom of it's capabilities easily.

I tend to do a mix of voiceover and actual talking on camera. TBH if you can bring yourself to be on camera and talk you'll save hours of editing time.

A decent microphone is no.1 priority. People will tolerate an element of lower quality picture (or not even notice) but people switch off quickly if the sound is poor.

4k video will also eat up your memory and you'll need a top end laptop to support it, HD is fine for YT still I think. I do occasionally shoot in 4k but my quite expensive laptop struggles to render videos longer than 20 minutes.
i just got myself a (new to me) camera and that came accessories and a mic. i've gone for the canon m50 camera. so i will be testing that out for the next lot of videos. already it seems a really good piece of kit for both capturing reference photos to paint and also filming 30min segments for editing. the i-pad and camera were my first lot of kit upgrades, so everything else is going to have to wait till this progresses a bit now.

i just got myself a (new to me) camera and that came accessories and a mic. i've gone for the canon m50 camera. so i will be testing that out for the next lot of videos. already it seems a really good piece of kit for both capturing reference photos to paint and also filming 30min segments for editing. the i-pad and camera were my first lot of kit upgrades, so everything else is going to have to wait till this progresses a bit now.
Lots of new toys to play with 🤣🙏, have fun, I can’t wait to see your videos

All the best in your journey.
A new mountain to climb.
"Don't look at the mountain, look at the next step and, with some work, you'll see the mountain from the top."
*Remember to wear a respirator!

Bex, I subscribed to your channel today and watched all your great videos. I look forward to seeing your next one 🙏

how is everyone with an artist log updating their progress? is it in the comments section or updating your first post...? for now i'll add a comment underneath this one as my update. :)

I created a thread with the title " Art journey/development”, I add to that now and again 😊. When I check into the forum the side bar has a subtitle which says New Posts, it should then show you all new posts since you last visited. I’m still learning about how to use a forum properly 🤪😂 , there might be better ways

I usually do a progress thread in the "works in progress" section, then I just post a completed painting in My Artists log thread

February was a short month, and I wanted to try show improvements for my second video -I have a plan behind this youtube venture, which involves working out what works and what doesn't to get get an arty travel vlog to be popular on youtube. it involves being a bit savvy to gain growth rather than just running on luck and hope. i'm still playing around with the titles and thumbnails and watching the analytics on how the videos are viewed.

my video aims this month were were to add speech ☑️and do more painting on location☑️
my aim for channel growth this month is to double the times it is viewed compared to Januarys video and also gain subscribers - even if its just 1 extra person that will do for now.
I'm am currently posting a video a month, until i get quicker at editing. I film at the beginning of the month, finish the painting in the studio middle of the month and then edit and post at the end of the month, once the video is posted i'm following what happens with its watches, analytics and subscribers for the month after that video is posted.

January I started with 14 subscribers and ended the month with 20 so i gained 6 people following me.
Januarys video I posted was watched 67 times the next month.
February video was posted up late (ended up posted first week in March) its only been on youtube 4 days so far, I will collect all the info from that as the weeks progress but currently the views seem on track as I have 70 views.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 175309.png

I'm hoping that these insights and updates I post will help anyone else who's also starting from nothing on youtube and thinking about doing something like this too.
I am finding I really enjoy movie creating ad editing, it is a skill i'm still learning and one i have never tried out before, but its a lot of fun - I enjoy trying to match up the beats and flow of the music to cuts in my filming. I like everything to flow and fade from one shot to the next and adding movement to still pictures. all this has been a fun learning curve.

this month I may have been a bit too ambitious compared to mine and my computers ability to edit a video.
and my "computer really said no" it struggled with the more ambitious editing, in the end I had tried 3 computers from around the house, which must have been built in the stoneage as they couldn't handle editing and on those I used 4 different editing softwares in hope one could cope, before I ended getting help from my tech savvy Husband, who downloaded an editing programme called DaVinci resolve onto his computer, its completely over the top for what I needed to make a little youtube video but as I could do both visuals and sound edits on this it worked great. He uses his computer 9-5 for work I had to do all my editing in the evening, I also had to learn how to use the new programme and this really slowed down the process.

the other change this month was adding speech - sounds easy doesn't it! its not -for me this took ages, it was a complete mental block more than anything else, record it- dislike it -delete it and repeat the process over and over.
I filmed everything on location and I did talk as I was filming but I didn't like how it sounded so muted it all and tried adding interesting voiceover sections afterwards instead. that's was so much more difficult that I expected, you have to watch your edited clips and try fit in what you want to say around the visuals, so planning out length of sentences etc is needed for voiceovers... AND you still have to speak! so if you delete all the original sound because you don't like your voice you tend to feel the same about the recorded voiceover to replace it with :rolleyes:lol. its something I'm just going to have to live with and gradually get over being too sensitive about - I actually don't speak much throughout the day, I paint and I listen, i'm just not a talker. I have found the whole process of recording my voice and adding it to video awkward, embarrassing and really cringeworthy.

I managed to get a tiny bit of airbrushing into Febs video using it for shadow and blends briefly at the end, but i am wanting to show more airbrushing, I am a little rusty with the other art mediums, but was lucky I have practiced them in the past so i was able to turn my hand to using watercolour, gouache, and graphite to create an artwork for on location artwork, because Its more difficult than it seems to be airbrushing on location without plug sockets! I don't currently have the set up for it, but as I'm an airbrush artist I really want to try get airbrushing into my videos a little more in future. So my plan for the end of March video is use an airbrush for creating most the artwork.

You’re update is very interesting thanks for sharing Bex, it’s a great plan 😊
hopefully it helps others, i found whilst looking to explore youtube with my art theres lots of info on how to grow an existing well established channel, theres lots on info on general channels and growth, but nothing that really shows progression of an arty channel by someone just starting out. so my hope is others can see how i am doing it in the here and now and hopefully can get some good ideas see what works what doesn't. and can see if it gives the gains and helps my artist journey as it promises and what i have to do to actually get those gains, followers and hopefully some revenue from youtube..

hopefully it helps others, i found whilst looking to explore youtube with my art theres lots of info on how to grow an existing well established channel, theres lots on info on general channels and growth, but nothing that really shows progression of an arty channel by someone just starting out. so my hope is others can see how i am doing it in the here and now and hopefully can get some good ideas see what works what doesn't. and can see if it gives the gains and helps my artist journey as it promises and what i have to do to actually get those gains, followers and hopefully some revenue from youtube..
If you get a lot of followers do you make money from that?

If you get a lot of followers do you make money from that?
you can do, from my research theres a few ways it generates an income:
1: you create a following those people could look to buy original artworks or might want to attend lessons, etc
2: you create a subscription service built around your youtube channel (patreon/youtube members etc) people pay a little bit monthly to have exclusive first view of videos, or attend a online chat group, get full length tutorials, digital downloads stuff just for them.
3: when you reach 1000 subscribers you can apply for ads on your channel, from then ont he videos watched with ads generate you a little bit of regular income. you need a decent amount of followers for that but its regualr and all these added together create a way to gain some extra income from your art.
4: in video sponsors, you'll have seen them when people stop the video and say this videos sponsored by .... ....they will pay the youtuber an amount to advertise for them or give them freebies. i have had similar before with suppiers that want me to show i use their stuff at shows and events, its similar to that, but dgital version. over the years i have recieved a few free things, never been paid to promote but have been handed freebies, i always disclose that i was given something to test out and use though , in the past I have been given free airbrushes, paints a spray gun, show tickets, to use and talk about at shows and events i attend- youtube sponsors are the digital version of that really.

Thanks for the information Bex. so it would be great if you could get 1000 subscribers. You’re doing a great job 😀🙌

Reactions: bex
Thanks for the information Bex. so it would be great if you could get 1000 subscribers. You’re doing a great job 😀🙌
yep it will be i'll be excited when I get that 1000 milestone, at this rate it might take a while lol but any growth upwards is good , I'm in this for the long haul, if i have to take on more commissions whilst I work this out then so be it. .
i think my first personal milestone will be to reach half that, as i think when i have 500 for me that will be a good balance of people , as not everyone is following for learning reasons or buying reason. some people are just following because they want to see the journey I'm on ( for example my arty friends, and family) its really nice to have that arty community/friends family on the journey too.

one thing i have noticed is social media platforms don't mingle and mix. so i posted on my facebook page about starting the youtube channel i also post the video links, i have over a 1000 followers on facebook, but only a couple of them have clicked across to follow m youtube. so if anyone has large following else where and wonders if they will switch with you when you open up new social platforms - the answer seems to be no -for the most part you have to go find new followers on all the different plat forms.
i'll update this again when my next videos goes out end of the month and see whats changed and what i've learnt and how things are growing on youtube.

having to read back through to see where my update was last at..

So March -
I am 3 months into this new social media change of direction and it still feels really new and like i have no idea what i'm doing. . i haven't got the hang of it yet and i'm still learning from trial and error.

March I added the youtube video of myself Exploring Borth, looking for inspiration for a 4 meter wall mural. Which was a great plan in my mind to do something that was big and back to airbrushing and stood out - in theory it was awesome idea! practical side of it not so much lol. until painting the thing a huge fully airbrushed wall murals i didn't factor in the time to do that , it take a lot of time. note to self, I should really bounce my crazy ideas off someone who's a lot more practical minded than myself in future! so i ended up getting to video editing stage with an unfinished artwork. hopefully it was good enough to post and didn't affect things too much, next months channel stats will tell I suppose. and as these first few videos are all just really about learning, gaining confidence and experimenting with youtube it wasn't too much of an issue for me that it was a part finished picture.
it was also fun to actually post up airbrushed work and stick to my main art skill. so i was happy to do that instead of watercolours or pencil work.
My biggest concern is still my ability to talk on camera, i'm trying... but its so difficult, its not a natural skill and I feel so self conscious, i still cringe at listening to my videos back. but i am determined to persevere with the thought that I can only get better.

last month my channel grew quite well!
I went from 24 subscribers up to 33
and the video for the previous month ended up viewed 130 times.
so even though i hit my personal goals for my growth but the excitement and achievement of that has just been shrouded by all the negatives this month.

my 3rd vlog was uploaded beginning of April, and realised a week later i have issues with it to sort out the music i used in my background ended up falling under copywrite -(not intentional) so i now have to sort that out some how remove sections of it from my video and add new - which isn't an easy task. although the copywrited music doesn't affect me currently as i don't make any money off of youtube yet- it will in future if i get to that point and i don't want to find out an old video I forgot about causes me a future headache so i my thought was try sort that asap. its quite irritating though as I went out my was to try use royalty free music.

other things I have done this month is change the thumbnails and titles to try make it glook better and be seen by people who are interested in what i create. its all experimenting to see what appeals to the right people,

i have also been working on my website, instagram page and set up a membership page.
instagram is as much a learning curve as youtube and a social i don't use much .

i unlocked the ability to create livestreams on youtube eventually - yey! i really been looking forward to doing these so i have my first live stream tomorrow. just going to use it as a test run and basically will be to chat to anyone who appear in the comments whilst i airbrush.

I also decided to test out offering a monthly online art group as a paid membership. I have never taught online classes before but i have done them from my studio and thought that would be a good income stream to start up. I tested out both 'patreon' and 'buymeacoffee' websites for hosting the group, i had seen other creatives use both of these and to me it seemed a really easy and good way to add and organise my monthly classes - i just preferred the layout and ease of use on buymeacoffee.
After posting an advert for my group i was shocked by a few private messages from a couple of my social media followers complaining that i had set it up! -i had private messages of "its tacky" "its begging not a genuine income stream" and "thats not professional" these people probably were not ever interested in following my art or any like monthly art classes and probably followed me from when i was posting as a custom automotive painter - and i am starting to see that clash from followers quite a bit changing from what i use to do to how my airbrushing and arts is now evolving.. still a shock though with how direct and very opinionated about how creative people earn money and i was a bit dishearten from those comments as i was already having a bad week with all the other disasters online behind the scenes i was dealing with, but i don't want a negative image so i'm still thinking maybe i should look at other ways to set up a monthly membership group - maybe through my own website rather than buymeacoffee or patreon.

This month has been a lot of sorting out issues, solving problems and dealing with lots of other peoples opinions about my art career choices and changes.
I seem to have been at a computer screen more than I wanted to be for the last month.
In January i set out with the idea i would have had a good idea by now if this was going to work or not , - but i think reality of this is 3 months into a change of art direction and i currently just have questions and doubt of is this even possible!. I just hope next month is easier and less of a headache! and i start to see some progress and an idea that it is progressing in the right direction. i know growth as an artist isn't always ups you have to take the downs too - so i think this is just one of those months where i just persevere through it and look forward to things changing back to being more enjoyable.

my aims for next moth:
sort out royalty free music so thats it not a copywrite headache again,
link youtube to social media pages
grow youtube to 80 subscribers
have 200 views on my last month video
manage to do a live successfully
split my next videos up so i post to youtube every 2 weeks. instead of 4

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 20.59.39.png
A

loved and liked the last video bex :)

I have turned on the notification for the live stream, when do You plan on starting it? only currently its set to start a year and a half before I was born! 😂

having to read back through to see where my update was last at..

So March -
I am 3 months into this new social media change of direction and it still feels really new and like i have no idea what i'm doing. . i haven't got the hang of it yet and i'm still learning from trial and error.

March I added the youtube video of myself Exploring Borth, looking for inspiration for a 4 meter wall mural. Which was a great plan in my mind to do something that was big and back to airbrushing and stood out - in theory it was awesome idea! practical side of it not so much lol. until painting the thing a huge fully airbrushed wall murals i didn't factor in the time to do that , it take a lot of time. note to self, I should really bounce my crazy ideas off someone who's a lot more practical minded than myself in future! so i ended up getting to video editing stage with an unfinished artwork. hopefully it was good enough to post and didn't affect things too much, next months channel stats will tell I suppose. and as these first few videos are all just really about learning, gaining confidence and experimenting with youtube it wasn't too much of an issue for me that it was a part finished picture.
it was also fun to actually post up airbrushed work and stick to my main art skill. so i was happy to do that instead of watercolours or pencil work.
My biggest concern is still my ability to talk on camera, i'm trying... but its so difficult, its not a natural skill and I feel so self conscious, i still cringe at listening to my videos back. but i am determined to persevere with the thought that I can only get better.

last month my channel grew quite well!
I went from 24 subscribers up to 33
and the video for the previous month ended up viewed 130 times.
so even though i hit my personal goals for my growth but the excitement and achievement of that has just been shrouded by all the negatives this month.

my 3rd vlog was uploaded beginning of April, and realised a week later i have issues with it to sort out the music i used in my background ended up falling under copywrite -(not intentional) so i now have to sort that out some how remove sections of it from my video and add new - which isn't an easy task. although the copywrited music doesn't affect me currently as i don't make any money off of youtube yet- it will in future if i get to that point and i don't want to find out an old video I forgot about causes me a future headache so i my thought was try sort that asap. its quite irritating though as I went out my was to try use royalty free music.

other things I have done this month is change the thumbnails and titles to try make it glook better and be seen by people who are interested in what i create. its all experimenting to see what appeals to the right people,

i have also been working on my website, instagram page and set up a membership page.
instagram is as much a learning curve as youtube and a social i don't use much .

i unlocked the ability to create livestreams on youtube eventually - yey! i really been looking forward to doing these so i have my first live stream tomorrow. just going to use it as a test run and basically will be to chat to anyone who appear in the comments whilst i airbrush.

I also decided to test out offering a monthly online art group as a paid membership. I have never taught online classes before but i have done them from my studio and thought that would be a good income stream to start up. I tested out both 'patreon' and 'buymeacoffee' websites for hosting the group, i had seen other creatives use both of these and to me it seemed a really easy and good way to add and organise my monthly classes - i just preferred the layout and ease of use on buymeacoffee.
After posting an advert for my group i was shocked by a few private messages from a couple of my social media followers complaining that i had set it up! -i had private messages of "its tacky" "its begging not a genuine income stream" and "thats not professional" these people probably were not ever interested in following my art or any like monthly art classes and probably followed me from when i was posting as a custom automotive painter - and i am starting to see that clash from followers quite a bit changing from what i use to do to how my airbrushing and arts is now evolving.. still a shock though with how direct and very opinionated about how creative people earn money and i was a bit dishearten from those comments as i was already having a bad week with all the other disasters online behind the scenes i was dealing with, but i don't want a negative image so i'm still thinking maybe i should look at other ways to set up a monthly membership group - maybe through my own website rather than buymeacoffee or patreon.

This month has been a lot of sorting out issues, solving problems and dealing with lots of other peoples opinions about my art career choices and changes.
I seem to have been at a computer screen more than I wanted to be for the last month.
In January i set out with the idea i would have had a good idea by now if this was going to work or not , - but i think reality of this is 3 months into a change of art direction and i currently just have questions and doubt of is this even possible!. I just hope next month is easier and less of a headache! and i start to see some progress and an idea that it is progressing in the right direction. i know growth as an artist isn't always ups you have to take the downs too - so i think this is just one of those months where i just persevere through it and look forward to things changing back to being more enjoyable.

my aims for next moth:
sort out royalty free music so thats it not a copywrite headache again,
link youtube to social media pages
grow youtube to 80 subscribers
have 200 views on my last month video
manage to do a live successfully
split my next videos up so i post to youtube every 2 weeks. instead of 4

View attachment 88899
A
I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve been up to Bex, it’s a shame about the hiccup with the music but that’s now one little thing dealt with and you’ll not have that problem again. I loved reading about where you are now in your journey and wish you the very best 🙏

Back