Nail polish on yupo???

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
When I woke up from a short night sleep ( which is usually the case ) I was thinking this morning of why couldn't I use nail polish on some yupo?
I have in the past used nail polish on some styrene car models in the past and they worked very good. Good adhesion on them.
Has anyone tried this meduim on yupo? There are a lot of colors out there for nail polish. I have seen some for $1.00 a bottle and with a few drops usage, they would last a good while.
I know thinning it would be a little troublesome but not sure what the polish ingredients are. I don't know if they are acrylic or enamel or lacquer paint. Don't think it would be too dangerous since it is applied to the fingernails.
Cleaning the brush would be another question. What to use????? without ruining the nozzle.
I have a few brushes I don't use anymore andI just might try a little to see what it does.

Richard

You'd likely need acetone to thin the nail polish and clean your brush.
Acetone isn't a good thing to be atomised and inhaled so you'd need a suitable respirator, not just a dust mask.
Acetone isn't rubber friendly so you'd risk damage to seals and likely the brush plating long term.

Highlights or small areas with a cheap throw away hairy brush would be my recommendation

You'd likely need acetone to thin the nail polish and clean your brush.
Acetone isn't a good thing to be atomised and inhaled so you'd need a suitable respirator, not just a dust mask.
Acetone isn't rubber friendly so you'd risk damage to seals and likely the brush plating long term.

Highlights or small areas with a cheap throw away hairy brush would be my recommendation

Your right on the plating. I had forgotten that I have a bunch of cups for paasche brushes and I was cleaning some of them from having dried paint on them with acetone and it did change the color of the plating. They changed to a light copper color. Think I'll ban that idea unless I find something that is acrylic formula based. Think I'll internet the idea and see what they are compounded with.

Richard

With the acetone I have diluted it into my cleaning solution, so that it is not as strong. Kirk at Iwata recommended using Acetone or lacquer thinner to clean stubborn stuck on paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Hey Fred
Thinking back a few years ago, I had bought some used cups for the paasches that had paint still stuck in the cups and I tried everything and finally used straight acetone and it did change the tone of the plating. Still use them every now and then just to play with. Might give it a try with them with the nail polish on yupo. I think they make acrylic polish now and will check it out. I like experimenting with stuff. Just my nature I guess. My wife calls me stubborn.

Richard

Just gonna put this out there - I see no advantage in trying to use nail polish on Yupo over any other readily available alternative. I use both Golden High Flow, and Createx Illustration colors on Yupo without much issue. These paints are made for airbrushing, as are the solvents and additives and cleaners that go with them. Is the need for better potential adhesion? Simply choose a different surface to work on. Maybe Claybord, Gessobord, Illustration board, etc... Looking for better adhesion on a surface like Yupo would negate the reason to work on the surface to begin with. Sometimes we can overthink things a bit :). Just my 2 cents worth...

Just gonna put this out there - I see no advantage in trying to use nail polish on Yupo over any other readily available alternative. I use both Golden High Flow, and Createx Illustration colors on Yupo without much issue. These paints are made for airbrushing, as are the solvents and additives and cleaners that go with them. Is the need for better potential adhesion? Simply choose a different surface to work on. Maybe Claybord, Gessobord, Illustration board, etc... Looking for better adhesion on a surface like Yupo would negate the reason to work on the surface to begin with. Sometimes we can overthink things a bit :). Just my 2 cents worth...

Hey Dave
My mind is all ways working. I am just curious about what if ???? I use CI on yupo and have used golden high flow. Do have some wicked that I bought last year and have never opened the package yet on that. I like CI on it but have to be very careful until it drys and cures. I haven't tried my Etac EFX yet on it but give me time lollollol
My nature is to try something and learn from that. Instructions are to be looked at only if I screw up. :eek:ops::eek:ops:
Just ordered some hot press crescent illustration board and have never used any of that yet. I do like the claybord also. Best things I have painted is on claybord.

Thanks

Richard

Hey Fred
Thinking back a few years ago, I had bought some used cups for the paasches that had paint still stuck in the cups and I tried everything and finally used straight acetone and it did change the tone of the plating. Still use them every now and then just to play with. Might give it a try with them with the nail polish on yupo. I think they make acrylic polish now and will check it out. I like experimenting with stuff. Just my nature I guess. My wife calls me stubborn.

Richard
I looked up on Iwata's site under maintenance and right on their suggested cleaners beside their own it said Acetone and Lacquer thinner. But not to use paint thinner.

Not sure what they use but acetone is no longer used for the thinning of nail polish... sad but true. The stuff they use now smells not as nice...

I mix it into my home cleaning solution of distilled water, widow cleaner, rubbing alcohol and a small amount of glycerin. I don't add a large amount so it is pretty well diluted. It actually smell like Media Airbrush Cleaner now, just not as soapy and bubbly.

I asked Coast techs what to use for the stubborn stain left behind if you don't break down the brush like Dru does and he said to throw a tiny bit of Restorer in the cup and spray through so that non will hit the O rings and then flush the head and body with water and then to put a small amount of lube on the needle (just the tip) and put it away. He said just never soak the body in it. Which we all know that.

I looked up on Iwata's site under maintenance and right on their suggested cleaners beside their own it said Acetone and Lacquer thinner. But not to use paint thinner.

Lacquer thinner and acetone are fine to use for cleaning your brushes as Fred already mentioned. The chemicals won't harm the finish provided you don't soak the parts for long periods of time. I sprayed uros exclusively for 17 years and always used lacquer thinner to clean. If you're concerned about the finish inside your paint cup you shouldn't be. Even water borne will eventually wear away the chrome inside your paint cup. I don't own a single brush that still has all the chrome in the paint cup and they've been that way for many years with no issues.

I use a little naked gun cleaner, then rinse thoroughly with water, naked gun is extremely potent, there is 3 kinds naked gun cleaner and stripper, the stripper, would leave you seeing little birds if you inhale to much, but the stuff works excellent for stubborn paint, the cleaner you can soak your gun in foe about an hour and flush, that's what I do, and the krome is still there

Back