need a (few) very specific compressor

F

Fumes4Life

I work for a company that fabricates theme attractions such as laser tags and mini golf. We go out on job sites and paint murals using HVLP spray guns and the compressors we use aren't cutting it. Currently we use porter cable 5 gal. compressors that has around 2 CFM (not nearly enough). The reason for such a small compressor is that we ship all of our paint and equipment out on a pallet and then fedex everything back, so size and weight is key to being cost effective. I was told that renting a compressor on site isn't an option.

We usually only get 2 or 3 jobs out of what we are currently using before they need to be replaced (each job is about 20 to 30 hours of spraying), so cost efficiency is a must. I think the boss would be willing to pay a little more for oiled compressors so long as we can get a much longer life out of it. Also if they are available at big box stores would be a bonus in case we need to replace one quickly, but it's not a deal breaker. We're in the market for six to eight of them for a start.

Switching to airbrushes instead of HVLP isn't an option because the paint we use is a very thick, specific black light reactive paint and the size and time constraints of the job wouldn't allow it.

Here's a short list of the specifics we're looking for

- Light weight and easy to ship
- Cost efficient
- As small a tank as feasible
- As high of CFM as possible
- Long spray time with an HVLP and quick refill time (i know... all goes back to tank size and CFM)
- Long life with maintenance
- easily available and easily replaceable
- rugged and reliable (they get banged up a lot in shipping)

I know it's a pretty tall and specific order so any advice would be of great help. Thanks in advance

Shouldn't be hard, what part of the world are you in though... I hear shipping to Antarctica is expensive but if you are in the UK or US we can be a lot more helpful... :)

We're located in the US, although we do a few international jobs... have yet to go to Antarctica, penguins haven't really caught on to laser tag

We're located in the US, although we do a few international jobs... have yet to go to Antarctica, penguins haven't really caught on to laser tag
Yes, they are a little slow. OK so the California ones should provide the flow and pressure and they are light as well.

I like my California air, but cfm wise it barely keeps up with my mini hvlps. I have the five gallon tank one I believe. I love it for what I'm doing. Has worked very well.

If you are going to be shipping them around, you will need to drain the oil each time, so factor in oil costs etc. Though its gonna be cheaper than a new compressor every time. :)

I work for a company that fabricates theme attractions such as laser tags and mini golf. We go out on job sites and paint murals using HVLP spray guns and the compressors we use aren't cutting it. Currently we use porter cable 5 gal. compressors that has around 2 CFM (not nearly enough). The reason for such a small compressor is that we ship all of our paint and equipment out on a pallet and then fedex everything back, so size and weight is key to being cost effective. I was told that renting a compressor on site isn't an option.

We usually only get 2 or 3 jobs out of what we are currently using before they need to be replaced (each job is about 20 to 30 hours of spraying), so cost efficiency is a must. I think the boss would be willing to pay a little more for oiled compressors so long as we can get a much longer life out of it. Also if they are available at big box stores would be a bonus in case we need to replace one quickly, but it's not a deal breaker. We're in the market for six to eight of them for a start.

Switching to airbrushes instead of HVLP isn't an option because the paint we use is a very thick, specific black light reactive paint and the size and time constraints of the job wouldn't allow it.

Here's a short list of the specifics we're looking for

- Light weight and easy to ship
- Cost efficient
- As small a tank as feasible
- As high of CFM as possible
- Long spray time with an HVLP and quick refill time (i know... all goes back to tank size and CFM)
- Long life with maintenance
- easily available and easily replaceable
- rugged and reliable (they get banged up a lot in shipping)

I know it's a pretty tall and specific order so any advice would be of great help. Thanks in advance
I would go with a Dewalt or something like that. Oil would last longer but make real sure you have. A good 5 Micron separator before the moisture trap would be a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Didn't think about having to drain the oil every time we ship. That would be to much of a pain and not practical at every job site. so I guess we're going oil less.

Didn't think about having to drain the oil every time we ship. That would be to much of a pain and not practical at every job site. so I guess we're going oil less.
You don't need to drain the oil every time you break down. The oil would give you longevity. The particle separator removes and oil in the air going to the brush once it gets full you empty it just like the moisture trap.

You don't need to drain the oil every time you break down. The oil would give you longevity. The particle separator removes and oil in the air going to the brush once it gets full you empty it just like the moisture trap.

a lot of airlines wont transport with fluids in place, they need to be drained before hand. Cargo areas aren't pressurised so there is a danger of the fluids expanding and leaking/igniting . . . .

So true about the fluids... I check all my spraying equipment in a hard case with my luggage. Had to rush straight from a job site to the airport and didn't have time to empty my guns out and they made the most God awful mess... I'm sure the very gentle handed baggage handlers didn't help either

Back