For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Need a little help painting a 54 chevy pickup.

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Big B, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Big B

Big B Young Tutorling

I have a question I hope it can be answered. Here it goes. I have a project coming up to do ghost flames on a 54 chevy pickup, I never airbrushed on a auto before. My problem is the owner painted the truck himself but did not clear coat the paint. now, I will be using createx transparent pearl for the flames. But not sure if I have to do a clear coat before my artwork can be done or can I paint right onto the existing painted area. I will be using wicked pearl waterbased paint. Any recommendations will be greatly helpful. A step by step explanation would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

Right on the basecoat is best (i'm assuming its basecoated and not an AE or lacquer in which case you may have to sand the area).
    Also assuming you are doing old school flames and not attempting to ghost realistic ish flames;
    Easiest way to tape off flames is to use fineline tape for the outlines then put your regular paint mask tape over it then you can easily cut that right on top of the fineline tape without marking the paint up. If youre doing multiple layers its safest to let the wicked dry 4-6 hours before you tape over it again.
    When taping off try to paint it thinnest right towards the tape lines so it blends down to it and you dont end up with a sharp edge that takes gobs of clearing and sanding to make it so you cant feel it. Best to practice that on scrap a couple times, it can be very deceptive just how much paint is really at the edge.

If you'll kindly make an intro in the introductions section everyone would appreciate that and it really helps when you tell us a bit about your experience and where you are and what kind of equipment you have, what kind of airbrush and what not.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    HellBird, Zackod and JackEb like this.
  3. Zackod

Zackod Artist of the Month! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Great answer. Cant add much to that other than i wouldnt use anything more corse than 600. Maybe 800 wet sand before doing it just incase. @Robbyrockett2 can probably expand on that.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.