Need a new "decent" airbrush for rc planes

J

Jay Rothwell

Ok, so I got a cheap airbrush kit (eBay joby) and it works OK for a short while, but after about 10 minutes of use I get water spitting out of the airbrush! The compressor has a water trap but obviously doesn't work. I can sort that issue out but what I'm really after is advise on the best airbrush for my needs.

Here is what I do. I use the airbrush to paint rc model airplanes made of depron foam, I use createx transparent ready to use paint. I do try to get small shading done with the cheap airbrush I have but it tends to spit and spater.

I need something that can cover large areas quick but still manage shading. Here are some examples of what I do.
uploadfromtaptalk1409803853942.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409803853942.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409803853942.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409803853942.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409803992315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409803992315.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409804015477.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409804015477.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409804032295.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409804032295.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 19
If this all you want to do with your airbrush get yourself a Neo for Iwata, I make these models my self too although I make shock flyers for indoor acrobatics, the Neo is what I use use, this is actually a knock off but licensed by Iwata therefore it carries a guarantee and parts are easy to find.

The splattering you mention is usually an indication of pressure being too high, if you go the introduction section and tell us where you are at, what equipment and what compressor you will get more precise help, until we know all about your equipment there isn't much too add I'm afraid.

Hi, Jay and welcome.
Have to agree with Madbrush, but the water spatter issue sounds like you have a resident pond in the tank of your compressor.
Better check out the water release valve [ or rattle the tank! ] and see what happens.
Also might want to consider a water trap in the line to your airbrush (transparent) so you can see any water building up in the line and remove it
before it becomes a pain.
As for the splatter effect, Madbrush was right on the money with the pressure diagnosis.
Reduce the pressure to stop the splatter, or increase the viscosity of your paint to match it - both will work.(to a point!)
As to a decent airbrush, I'd spend a few more bucks and by an Eclipse rather than the Neo, but that's just my personal view - both are very good.

Wow, thanks for the information guys! As for lowering the pressure, I can't. It's as low as it goes some I'll try to thin it? I don't have a tank, just a compressor with a straight through line to my brush.

Seeing that you want to cover large areas quickly, I would get a better compressor to start with. Another gun to consider is the Paasche Talon with the 3 needle setup. It comes with a fan spray cap so it will cover nice and fast and smooth providing your compressor can drive it.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for all the advice! I'll get online and check out what you suggested.

Sorry to bring up an old and over asked question but iwata eclipse is around £150, I can get a harder and steenbeck infinity for the same price and looks awesome! What do I go for?

Sorry to bring up an old and over asked question but iwata eclipse is around £150, I can get a harder and steenbeck infinity for the same price and looks awesome! What do I go for?

Since the choice boils down to intended use and skill level, I would stick with the Iwata since the Infinity is pretty sensitive in regards to correct thinning and pressure, the Iwata would be more forgiving in this respect.

Ok, all I've used in the past is ready to use createx paint

Since the choice boils down to intended use and skill level, I would stick with the Iwata since the Infinity is pretty sensitive in regards to correct thinning and pressure, the Iwata would be more forgiving in this respect.

The infinity .15 nozzle is the one that is one that is the most picky with paint reductions. The .4 is a good all around workhorse and is pretty forgiving. I can still pull some pretty fine lines with the .4 also.

You really can't go wrong with either airbrush.

Ok, all I've used in the past is ready to use createx paint

If you are referring to standard createx, it is better suited to larger nozzles and even with a lot of thinning it can be a problem, perhaps com-art, spectra-tex or even Schminke aero colour would serve you better, detial would certainly be easier with any of these three, and all will adhere nicely to your foam models.

The infinity .15 nozzle is the one that is one that is the most picky with paint reductions. The .4 is a good all around workhorse and is pretty forgiving. I can still pull some pretty fine lines with the .4 also.

You really can't go wrong with either airbrush.

Thanks Jag, I hadn't given the 0.4 a thought, lol, so yes the o,4 set up would indeed also be an option.

This thread may go an entirely different direction with that comment. Lol

Are you using the original formulation Createx, Wicked, or Auto Air?
The standard transparent createx is what I used but almost out no, I can get what's best for my application

The standard transparent createx is what I used but almost out no, I can get what's best for my application

I would personally get a bottle of ETAC Private Stock and or a bottle of Wicked/Auto Air. They are more designed for hard surfaces and have a much more resilient binder. ETAC has an additional additive called 2050 AG Modifier which meant for painting on hard surfaces.

My personal preference is to ETAC. Their paints have less issues with tip dry. Just as anything else, paint selection is truly subjective.

I would personally get a bottle of ETAC Private Stock and or a bottle of Wicked/Auto Air. They are more designed for hard surfaces and have a much more resilient binder. ETAC has an additional additive called 2050 AG Modifier which meant for painting on hard surfaces.

My personal preference is to ETAC. Their paints have less issues with tip dry. Just as anything else, paint selection is truly subjective.
Ok, great and this paint is OK to use on foam?

I never have used it on foam. I would say so.
The one thing I would watch, is the Createx HP Reducer, it does have some solvent in it and may have a reaction on foam.
ETAC is rated as Non Toxic, so I would really doubt there would be a reaction.

You probably got enough info to keep yourself busy for awhile but just to add my 2 cents worth I bought a Badger 360 for modeling and I love it. Its got great versatility. Good luck to ya :)

Back