Need a new work horse... another Krome or ?

F

foreveryoung001

As I wait for a couple of things to sell, so I can afford my CM-SB without dipping into the savings account (my wife would kill me), I've decided I need another work horse. I've been using a Krome for the past year, and have really enjoyed it, but it has started giving me issues. I can't get the needle to seal properly, no matter how much I tighten the needle bearing, so I'm thinking there must be something messed up with the bearing itself. Then, last night, as I was working on my competition piece, I could hear a new air leak when I press down on the trigger... I can't pin point this one, but I think its coming from the air valve. It didn't affect performance much, but I did have to kick the pressure up a couple of PSI to counteract the leak.

Got me thinking though... if my Krome goes down, I'm left with the only other airbrush I have right now, which is my old Paasche Vl which I have a love/hate relationship with.... mostly hate.

So I'm thinking, once I get my stuff sold, I'll have plenty o' cash for the Micron and another brush. Once I get the Micron ordered, I was just going to fit the .3 nozzle in the Krome and use that as my work horse, but now I'd like to pick up another brush for when I send this one in to Badger for a tune up.

I could go with another Krome, but would really like to try out some other brushes too. I was sort of thinking about an Eclipse or maybe an HP-C+, but then I was also looking at the Grex XG... Not really sure what to look at since I just figured I'd be using the Krome forever.

So, do I stick with what I know, or branch off in to other brands? Come on airbrush hoarders... give a guy some help here.

The eclipse comes with a floating nozzle making it REALLY easy to clean amd no threads to strip or break. They are not finicky at all. the needles and nozzles are the most robust around. mine is around 6 years old and still works perfectly Oh and the siphon feed is no slouch either they make a great team I may be selling my SB came in the red case and I have extra stuff for it.. has about 2 hrs on it I have not made up my mind yet though.. I LOVE my CM-C+ and am not sure about side feed and i miss the built in mac that comes on the cm-c+

Both the Eclipse and the Grex XG are great airbrushes. The XG is better for detail, but as mentioned, the Eclipse has easier maintenance.

I just sold 2 badgers. A spirit and a velocity. Nice brushes, heavy, big, not shiny. I am quickly switching to Iwata. Yeah they are a bit pricey, but for me they just work better. I will not probably get rid of my patriots and my Anthem. But someday . Maybe my Krome will even go. I just personally feel I can control the Iwata's better. And my CM-b, man it's small. Fits like a glove, damned with small hands as I am, sprays like a dream, and makes me confident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought that fancy krome put the .3 set up in it and its been that way since . i keep having the same problewms with renegades some times i get a bit of dried paint or something and the paint flow doesnt stop its just a wee paint on the needle tip thazts causing the needle to not seal properly . i would experiment with an iwata like bentoad got or just stik with a velocity the velocity is the same damn thing as the krome if you ask me. youir going to flip your wig when you get the micron cmsb wise choice i amm thinking of getting a second one but this time il order from coast and ask dave if he minds checking it out before it gets shipped lol Thain il know i have got the reed carpet treatment

You won't need to buy one, you're going to win one in the comp right?

One can only hope.... I am proud of what I've come up with. Still have another 3 or 4 hours to go on it, but I think it is probably my best work to date.... BUT>>>> there are so many good artists on this site, I only have a small glimmer of hope of actually winning. I mean, my best work is still well below what I've seen from the folks on this site, so just making plans to buy what I need, and if I do happen to win in one of the categories, then it will be a nice surprise.

I was sort of leaning towards the eclipse, but still kind of checking things out. Whatever I get, I know it will not be my last airbrush, so I don't want to spend to much brain power on this one. It took enough of my limited supply of brain cells to settle on the CM-SB for my detail brush. I took a month to make that decision... this one, I would like to make with less of struggle.

A lot of people rave about the Eclipse, which is why I was sort of leaning that way, but I'm also thinking about a whole different brand than Iwata. Brand loyalty is not my biggest thing in life... for my vehicles, I've driven Chevy's, Ford's, Chrysler's, and now a Honda... And I'm sort of in the same boat when it comes to airbrushes. My very first brush, years ago, was some cheap no name thing that broke after two weeks. Then I got a Badger which I retired after I picked up my Paasche. Back then, it wasn't for art, it was just for getting smooth transitions in the burst effect on the guitars I was painting for a local builder.

Then last year, when I really started getting in to the artistic side of airbrushing, I just grabbed the old Paasche, but quickly bought a Krome... not because I was loyal to Badger, but because the reviews said it was good brush, and would do what I needed it to do.... and it has.

I love Badger, don't get me wrong. Ken and the gang are amazing when it comes to customer service, and I have no doubts that when I have something else to use so I can send my Krome in, they will get it singing again like new, and they are the first company I recommend when people ask me what brush to start with.

I just want to experience the other brands too. So my search isn't limited to Iwata or Grex... I'll look at anything that I think will do what I need it to do. But at some point, I just have to make a decision and say, "That's the one I'm getting now!"

You do know Badger replaces the needle bearing at no charge for life don't you???? I love my Velocity but then again I have never used an Iwata, maybe that's why I do go weak in the knees when people talk about them lol.

I bought that fancy krome put the .3 set up in it and its been that way since . i keep having the same problewms with renegades some times i get a bit of dried paint or something and the paint flow doesnt stop its just a wee paint on the needle tip thazts causing the needle to not seal properly . i would experiment with an iwata like bentoad got or just stik with a velocity the velocity is the same damn thing as the krome if you ask me. youir going to flip your wig when you get the micron cmsb wise choice i amm thinking of getting a second one but this time il order from coast and ask dave if he minds checking it out before it gets shipped lol Thain il know i have got the reed carpet treatment

I had my order all set to go on Coast, was just trying to make up my mind on this other brush (and waiting for that old trailer to sell so I can afford to hit the confirm buttom), but then I noticed that they are out of stock on the CM-SB and won't have any in until January. I'm planning to order everything in the next couple of weeks, so gonna have to pick another place to buy from this time. Probably Chicago Airbrush. I've not had any problems with them.

You do know Badger replaces the needle bearing at no charge for life don't you???? I love my Velocity but then again I have never used an Iwata, maybe that's why I do go weak in the knees when people talk about them lol.

I have no doubt that Badger will take care of me. I rave about their customer service for a reason. But, as I have no other brush that I like, at the moment, I have to get something ordered before sending this in. I was going to just buy another Krome, but I do want to try out other brands... since I don't have anything close, where I can try different brushes out, I have to buy from recommendations and reviews. I would love to have a place where I could just go throw a bunch of paint through several different airbrushes.... alas.... I live in Northern Michigan, where we don't even have a Sonic fast food joint.

If you hit CAC at the right time you can use their coupon. Think it's like 15% off right now. And free shipping for brushes all the time. Nothing against coast, but if the SB is out of stock, you gotta do what ya gots ta do.

If you hit CAC at the right time you can use their coupon. Think it's like 15% off right now. And free shipping for brushes all the time. Nothing against coast, but if the SB is out of stock, you gotta do what ya gots ta do.

I did put the same order together together last night on Chicago, but their 15% Halloween coupon didn't apply to the airbrush, so had to settle for their usual 10% one. With that and the free shipping, it actually saved me a few bucks. I like both, Coast and Chicago. They've both treated me well over the years.

hi forever young i was reading Don Weller's airbrush tips the other day and on his Webb page he have a bunch of revues of airbrushes, so why not take a look and compare the revues with what you know and what all nice people here suggest :triumphant:

hi forever young i was reading Don Weller's airbrush tips the other day and on his Webb page he have a bunch of revues of airbrushes, so why not take a look and compare the revues with what you know and what all nice people here suggest :triumphant:

That's actually a great idea. I've been to Don's site a bunch, but didn't even think about it this time. Good call. Thanks.

Back