Need a replacement airbrush...Recommendations?

S

Sprzout

So on Fri, I pulled out my Master G44 (which is, from what I understand, a cheap Chinese Iwata knockoff), went to clean it, and the 0.2 mm tip that screws into the main body of the airbrush broke off at the threads.

I figured, "Ok, let me see if I can find parts, and how much trouble it's going to be to fix it..."

Well, TCP Global is the main supplier of the line of Master airbrushes, and as such is the only one I could locate replacement parts for it. Turns out that, while TCP carries replacement needles, tips, etc, they only have a kit that is a replacement needle and tip, for $15, not including shipping. A new G44 is $34. I can't justify throwing more money at something that's got a potential for easy breakage like that AND I'm forced to buy parts that I don't need, not to mention that buying parts that cost half as much as brand new airbrush is a hard pill to swallow.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for a dual action, gravity fed, that I can do basic spraying with, more for general use, rather than detail work (I have a SOTAR 20/20 for the fine stuff, and that is a great airbrush for that!).

I'm leaning toward an Iwata, since Coast Airbrush (which is only 45 min. away from me) carries parts and it's relatively easy for me to get them there should I bend a needle or lose the needle cap, but I honestly haven't a clue about the Iwatas and their models. I just know I don't want another Paasche or Master. :)

So, any recommendations would be great! (And ideally, I'd like to keep it under $150, so that the wife doesn't have a heart attack when I tell her I bought ANOTHER airbrush).

I recommend the Iwata eclipse, it will do both large coverage and fine detail if needed a real all round airbrush in my book

I'm also stand for Eclipse. I like bottom feed with spare 0,35 mm setup. Great workhorse!
From my experience I can say, I don't like models with MAC and gravity feed, but it's only my preferences.
Bottom and side feeds are all mine, as they're siphon system airbrushes.

Plenty of good choices... the eclipse is a great work horse! Good money invested there. It's not the only brush in the world but you won't go far wrong with one.

I'll chime another recommendation for the Eclipse. It fits your criteria perfectly, and is as worry-free as is possible for an airbrush.

Im a Badger queen. But if your that close to Davids store, then go and purchase a classroom brush. Its an Iwata...I believe they are $99. Its a great brush for the price. And that way, you can purchase all your needs at the same time :)

I'm a Badger man...but realistically any brand entry gun will get you there, just depends what you want to do with it as to what may suit you best.

I understand the Badger likes - my SOTAR 20/20 has endeared me to them. I just see a LOT of people who love the Iwatas, and they seem to be in the right price range.

That said, I've looked again at the Badger Patriot - that might be a strong contender too.
Im a Badger queen. But if your that close to Davids store, then go and purchase a classroom brush. Its an Iwata...I believe they are $99. Its a great brush for the price. And that way, you can purchase all your needs at the same time :)

Well, I'm gonna pick up some Wicked paint...I used a bottle of it the other day that I picked up from Hobby Lobby (for some odd reason they had one color marked down ridiculously cheap) just to practice with. I discovered I REALLY like the flow of the paint, so I have a feeling that's going to become a go-to standard for me. As for the classroom brush, that might very well be a possibility, if they have any in stock when I go up in 2 weeks (Gotta wait until I get paid - unfortunately, things like food, electricity for air conditioning, and gas for my car took precedence this paycheck!!!).

My Eclipse is/was one of Coast's ex-classroom brushes, so I can vouch for those. When I received mine, it was in perfect like-new condition apart from a wee bit of paint in some of the crevices.

I'll say Eclipse as well but Badger's new Extreme Patriot is getting good reviews. And at only $125 it sounds like a good partner to your Sotar.

Soz missed you had a brush already :)..In that case what do you want the next one to do..You already have a gravity, maybe consider a siphon to round of some ability. Good luck either way.

Soz missed you had a brush already :)..In that case what do you want the next one to do..You already have a gravity, maybe consider a siphon to round of some ability. Good luck either way.

Well, I HAD *3* brushes - A Paasche VL from the late 60's/early 70's that was either my uncle's or my grandmother's (I don't care for it; the action is gummed up, and it doesn't want to siphon very well even after a good cleaning), the Master G44, and my SOTAR 20/20, but now I'm down to the SOTAR and the Paasche.

What I'm asking, and yes thro away or put that old 60's paasche in the keepsakes display case :) ) what are your needs for your second gun..what do you want it to be able to do? that may help better relate a specific gun on the good price side..both iwata and badger and every other manufacturer out there have more the multi purpose gun or something a bit more focused in an area. I assume your happy with the 20/20 detail? if so you dont need another detail style gun I would guess and why another gravity? Otherwise we will all just go with our fave brands LOL. Know what you want it for, forget brands and whats the best or what we all think are and PS check spare parts costs..badgers much cheaper imho LOL but no favouritism at all ;)...BTW with a fine line conversion kit and even without, siphon feeds are able to pull pretty fine lines and you will find it very different to the paasche :)..I'd go an anthem but I always say that LOL, no favouritism again...;) but honestly it will give you a good coverage of all your brush needs, then maybe a high detail gun later on, a HPLV touch up gun and thats pretty much the set complete..or the collection started..:)

What I'm asking, and yes thro away or put that old 60's paasche in the keepsakes display case :) ) what are your needs for your second gun..what do you want it to be able to do? that may help better relate a specific gun on the good price side..both iwata and badger and every other manufacturer out there have more the multi purpose gun or something a bit more focused in an area. I assume your happy with the 20/20 detail? if so you dont need another detail style gun I would guess and why another gravity? Otherwise we will all just go with our fave brands LOL. Know what you want it for, forget brands and whats the best or what we all think are and PS check spare parts costs..badgers much cheaper imho LOL but no favouritism at all ;)...BTW with a fine line conversion kit and even without, siphon feeds are able to pull pretty fine lines and you will find it very different to the paasche :)..I'd go an anthem but I always say that LOL, no favouritism again...;) but honestly it will give you a good coverage of all your brush needs, then maybe a high detail gun later on, a HPLV touch up gun and thats pretty much the set complete..or the collection started..:)

Well...with regards to the HVLP gun, I actually have two from Eastwood (They were bought about 10 years back to paint our Corvette, but it never happened, so they're sitting in a box unused). And I LOVE my SOTAR for fine detail work - that's pretty much all I've been using it for. What I'm looking for is a brush that will kind of be a utility workhorse to pick up the broader spraying and more of a "coverage" type of thing for when I do t-shirts, cariacature portraits, cartoon/illustration work. Does that make sense? I know what I want to use it for, but I'm not very good at describing exactly...

Back