Need advice, my airbrush will not stop back flushing paint for some reason.

B

Brian

I cleaned it out and when I put it back together it start back flushing paint for some reason.

Your nozzle is either cracked, flared open on the end, or it is dirty and has some dried paint in the tip not letting the needle seal properly. Most times it's dirty unless you pushed the needle in to hard flaring the nozzle, or dropped the brush and cracked the nozzle tip.
Try putting cleaner on a paintbrush that's long enough to go all the way through the nozzle and clean it with that. Should be ok after that, if not check for fine cracks with a microscope.
Hope you get it fixed :)

Josh

What monkeymaster said, air is getting back into your cup somewhere. Good luck, hope you get it sorted!

thanks for help, Iv done all the steps you gave me and I still have the problem so I had a spare nozzle that I got with the airbrush and I replace the nozzle and I am still having the same problem, their seems to be something wrong with the Air cap body, any advice

What brush are you using, this may give others an idea, sorry but I'm all tapped out on that subject although your needle may not be machined good enough (round) or you may just need to polish it, over time it will wear a rough spot at the tip where the needle and nozzle meet. That will cause it not to seal also.

Josh

Im using a Veda WD-180, Iv just change the needle to a spare one I had and Im still having the same problem.

Not just the airbrush (brand, type) you are using, but which paint also, what are your mix-ratios (water : paint), do you also use additives and what is the air pressure you use?
I found a clip on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iP6noELJIo and the guy is struggling with it. The air pressure is really high and he seems to be having trouble spraying a controlled line.

It may perhaps have some use in spraying scale models, but I doubt if it is any good to spray art work.

Last edited:
Its the same one as the airbrush in the youtube video clip you sent me in the link, I us wicked paint but the thing about it is it will not even spray water, when you press down the trigger the water jumps out of the cup.

Its the same one as the airbrush in the youtube video clip you sent me in the link, I us wicked paint but the thing about it is it will not even spray water, when you press down the trigger the water jumps out of the cup.

What does it do when you take the needle out? Does the water come out of the nozzle or is it still exiting through the cup?

when I take out the needle it still dose the same thing, the only way Iv stop it from happening is to take off the air cap body.

when I take out the needle it still dose the same thing, the only way Iv stop it from happening is to take off the air cap body.

Ok. Basically you could use the airbrush without the air cap screwed on, but you have to be careful not to damage the needle tip (that sticks out a few millimeters, if is it a copy of the Micron as it says in the video clip). Also thin your paint : water to 1 : 10 or even 1 : 20. If possible try Com-Art paint as well that behaves a lot better in airbrushes than Createx. The guy in the clip said the Veda cost 30 USD. Perhaps saving some more and buying an Iwata Neo CN (also with gravity feed paint cup, but of far better quality) would have been a better option.

Many of the Chinese brushes are of not too good a quality. I tested a Black Bull once and it was beyond awful; would not even spray after changing the needle and nozzle three times with brand new replacement parts.

I wish beginning artists would visit forums like these first to gain useful information, before buying Chinese airbrushes. It would save many of them a lot of money, headaches and frustration. I hope that the Veda handles better without the air cap. Let me know.

I had a similar problem with a devilbiss DAGR and after paying out for spare needle/nozzle/o-rings etc, thinking as I was a newb at the time I'd stuffed up, it turned out that the body of the brush wasn't machined correctly and the nozzle didn't fit the body properly (I got it repplaced, and that one sucked too, and that's when me and devilbiss parted company forever). So sounds like your brush could be a duff one too. Can you see any scratches, or machine marks etc in the body of your brush where the nozzle sits?

I can't post a link yet, but if you Google Don's airbrush tips and go to the Master G22 review page, down at the bottom under Postscript are a couple of pictures and text that might explain what you are seeing. If the nozzle is recessed just a tiny bit, air will blow back into the cup. This can happen if you over tighten the nozzle and crush the rubber o-ring.

Don

I can't post a link yet, but if you Google Don's airbrush tips and go to the Master G22 review page, down at the bottom under Postscript are a couple of pictures and text that might explain what you are seeing. If the nozzle is recessed just a tiny bit, air will blow back into the cup. This can happen if you over tighten the nozzle and crush the rubber o-ring.

Don

Don glad to have you here I have posted you link for your reviews here because I think you do a great job .

Here is the link for those interested...https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Thanks, Herb.
I think I need 4 posts to add a signature, so I have a couple to go.
Oh Hey! this one counts!

Don

Thanks, Herb.
I think I need 4 posts to add a signature, so I have a couple to go.
Oh Hey! this one counts!

Don

You have a most excellent blog, Don that I discovered after visiting AirbrushDoc (after ranhalen made me aware of that one :D ). A wealth of clear and independent information. I would recommend artists of all levels to bookmark it and take a peek there to gain in-depth knowledge and base their decisions on when they are planning to buy airbrush related matters.

I think it is not a good thing if people become enthusiast about airbrushing and have the bad fortune to run into poorly machined copies of airbrushes of established companies like Badger, H&S and even Iwata that sell very adequate entry level airbrush guns that will help them gain positive first experiences with this particular form of art.

Glad to see you post in this forum Don! Look forward to many more instances of you sharing your vast experience.

i cleaned my airbrush once and use a pipe cleaner , put it all back together and had the same prob , lol found a tiny oring stuck on the pipe cleaner,, replaced it no more bubbles in cup lmao, ive cleaned my airbrush more than once lol

I read your info Don about the airbrush in Postscript and seen the pictures, really good stuff and also a really good site I most say, ill be checking out your reviews on some airbrush's very soon, if I had of read this before I purchased my airbrush I would have not bought it.

I was thinking it most be the O ring because it was working fine before I opened it up and cleaned it out, so I remove the O ring of part 4 in the parts diagram of the airbrush but Im still having the same problem, from reading the info you gave me I seen your airbrush only Bubble when you pull back for paint, mine Bubbles in the cup when I press the trigger down for air and for paint, you say that when this happens it usually means their's an air leak between the nozzle and the body of the airbrush. any advice on trying to stop the leak.

If there is a leak in the air cap (that allows false air to be sucked in), usually the airbrush will eject pulsed jets of the water / paint mixture. But it will do that from the front end and not have the stream come out of your paint cup. I think there is some kind of blockage somewhere or a leak that lets the air escape straight to the paint cup instead of leading it to the tip of the nozzle where the venturi-effect should draw the paint to that area from where it is pushed out further by the air jet. I suspect either of these things to be the cause of your problem, since you wrote it also occurs even when you have the needle removed.

Mind you: if the nozzle and internal surface of the air cap are not aligned properly (i.e. if they do not have a shared center point, due to poor milling of the airbrush housing), the venturi-effect (creating of lowered pressure in the area around the nozzle tip) may not be established, which could allow the air stream to find other ways out of the airbrush housing. Also, there are tiny drilled holes in nozzle cap through which the air is led towards the nozzle tip area, if these are blocked (by the air cap), the air has to find a different route out of the airbrush (in this case the paint cup). If you have a magnifying glass take a good look at the nozzle cap and air cap. If the air cap blocks the holes in the nozzle cap, it may be causing your problem, since you say that the jet of water and / or paint does come out of the front end of the airbrush if you remove the air cap.

Last edited:
Try putting something like bees wax or lip balm (like Chapstick) on the threads of the tiny nozzle and see if that helps. Don't over tighten the nozzle or it will break or strip.

Don

Back