Need advice

P

Peter1985

Some photos of my progress. Plz be nice I'm still a newbie but very keen. Hope these photos upload. Need advice and a guidance. So plz be nice as this was hard for me to share.

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_153532.jpg
    IMG_20151204_153532.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20151204_152441.jpg
    IMG_20151204_152441.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20151101_201245.jpg
    IMG_20151101_201245.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20151028_211701.jpg
    IMG_20151028_211701.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20151027_165009.jpg
    IMG_20151027_165009.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 22
Everyone is nice here one of the best reasons to post your stuff. Someone should be along and help ya some.

I dont see any major prob. with what you posted your learning and that takes time.Keep praticing your dot,daggers and blends and you will be there in no time! use what you started with here and do some building up on the skull using light touch don't try and get full color in one pass.with the eye adding some highlights and a slight shadow will help make it look 3d and not flat looking and with the shadows on the cartoon blend it out and work at using
shading to define your lines don't outline your work(unless thats the look your going for.)

That's a good start, keep practicing, look at other similar styles of work and see how they shape and shade.

As I'm new I'm still trying to find my feet. My mane goal is Anime/manga. I wanna move away from stencils. I'm still learning color theory. I've seen people spray very fine detail lines at low air pressure but I've had no success. I use wicked paints with reducer and my airbrush is an iwata hpc plus. I'm really just looking for advice on all angles. I'm really still trying to get use to reductions and paint ratios.

It's all been said, your success is our goal and everyone has to start somewhere, the simple fact that your practising is already a good start, I'm impressed with your letting practice and messing with shapes is definitely not wrong, your thread title say "need advice" you'll get plenty of that here, but so ask specific questions when you think you need to, we can help you a lot better if we know what your having trouble with.

In reference to your other thread about frisket, what you've been working on would benefit just as much from free hand stencils/shields which you can easily make your self relative to your subject or simply buy them off the shelf. frisket is pretty hit and miss on paper/card and has ruined many an otherwise decent project.

Free hand stencils are just held in place with your hand, but I work on a magnetic white board which means I can hold the stencils in place by means of magnets so I have both hands free to guide my brush.

As I'm new I'm still trying to find my feet. My mane goal is Anime/manga. I wanna move away from stencils. I'm still learning color theory. I've seen people spray very fine detail lines at low air pressure but I've had no success. I use wicked paints with reducer and my airbrush is an iwata hpc plus. I'm really just looking for advice on all angles. I'm really still trying to get use to reductions and paint ratios.

The purpose of the lines, dots and daggers is to help you achieve the control needed to be able to create those fine lines and close up detail, the different intensities also help you understand both how your brush performs and where it needs to be in relation to your substrate to achieve different effects, we all know how boring it is but you can easily do a half hour of them every time you work before doing something you would rather do.

If you look very carefully at your anime characters you will see they made up entirely of all of these strokes, in fact every painting you could ever do contains them.

You said you wanted to get away from stencils, but frisket is effectively just a stick on stencil;) if you simply practice your strokes I know for sure you can achieve the control to do your anime characters free hand, being able to do that also involves knowing your thinning and pressure ratio allowing to get in close keeping it tight and reducing over-spray.

Hey Madbrush thanks for the advice. Will definitely try the magnetic white board. Never thought of it, just been using small nuts and bolts to hold my paper down haha.

Hey Madbrush thanks for the advice. Will definitely try the magnetic white board. Never thought of it, just been using small nuts and bolts to hold my paper down haha.

No problem, if you get yourself a white board, you'll be mazed at the freedom and extra possibilities it affords you, getting up close and creating fine lines usually requires having both hands free to guide your brush, as for your thinning and pressure ratios, this is something you'll have find out for yourself through trial and error, even if two artists both have the same airbrush, compressor and paints, they will always behave differently although the ratios may be fairly close, but once you find your own happy combination, again you'll be amazed at just what you can do as a result.

A little tip for you here, although it's not compulsory, it might be an idea to put a little list of the equipment you are using in your signature, this will appear under every post you make, that way if you have any troubles or queries we can all see at a glance what you are using, this means that we can always advise you specific to your own gear without having to ask what paints and such, and maybe add your approximate location to your profile so we can guide you to suppliers in your own area.

Thanks heaps for the advice I will definitely be adding my equipment to that signature list.

Back