Need Candy color paint help on Trike

I

IgorsCloset

Ok guys. I have a lot of wicked and spectra tex paints. My old friend asked me to paint his trike he's building for his brother. He showed a pic of a marble design with candy red over it.

Can I use like a HOK Candy to lay over the waterbased paints?

Only time I painted on hard shells / tins is when I used all euros or all waterbased.

Not sure if that's even a dumb question but the image should be pretty simple. Just need to make sure what candy paint to buy.

I did a quick search but this is coming down pretty quick so I'm trying to get him answers asap. Thanks guys.

yes you can once the waterbased is fully cured. I would shoot a layer of sg100 over it before adding candy personally. It's really hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like its the ground metal designs done with candy overlay.

Thanks IC. This is the guy that helped me get my haunted house and airbrushing kiosk off the ground in 2012. I kinda owe him so I want to do a great job.

When I shop for the HOK Kandy's, I see "Basecoat" everywhere... is that what I need? Is it still an overlay coater?

no, it is a basecoat system created for a "kandy effect" for solely the purpose of spraying an entire vehicle to mimic a kandy finish. It was created so there was an even spray pattern and anyone could spray it. Kandy koncentrate paintjobs are extremely difficult to lay out right with how the dyes work. the KBC is just a basecoat with dye added to it and pearls, it is a solid coverage opaque. What you need is the KK *kandy koncentrate) which is a dye and to mix it with sg100 intercoat clear. Mix 6:1 *6 parts sg100 to 1 part Kandy Koncentrate. then add reducer until it is about the consistency of milk and the color you want shows on the paint stick. Since you are just using it as an overcoat, the ratio for the strength of the concentrate isn't as big of a deal. If layering colors over it such as doing true fire, you cannot mix it at more than 20% or it will bleed like crazy. In that case it would be an 8:1:1 ratio. Remember with kandy, the more layers you add, the deeper the color will get and if you are doing a large area and you overlap more than 50% and go to heavy with consecutive passes,it will have different shades of the color and look splotchy. This is the reason KBC was created, but cannot be used for overlay on graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wished that picture of the tins was bigger. Based on the light reflection on the fender in the background and how only that part illuminates and the rest is dark, I really think that is a ground metal effect. For that effect, you would sand the tins down to metal, then use a grinding wheel/pad and make swirls in the metal. You would then kandy over it then clearcoat. mask off the flames, spray those black, fade in black around the edges/bottoms then clearcoat again and you are done.

So if he were to just tell me to "paint" the design (or w/e design he wants) I can still just use my colors, (whites and greys) and coat it with the KK, right? The candy is actually in the clear, am I correct?

yes basically. All kandy is, is just a dye that requires a carrier/binder which is the sg100. The more dye you put in the carrier, the stronger it is. Like all dyes, too much and with overlays it will bleed through. Like previously stated since you are using it as an overlay this isn't as big of an issue and you can mix it a little stronger for faster coverage. You can do whatever you want with the whites and gray. Do stippling, marble effect with a rag or whatever and then kandy over it. Be really cool since you are using waterbased to do an acid wash effect using windex. If you do gray and white over a black base, the gray parts will be darker red than the white. As you layer it, it will get darker and darker. So you can achieve a lot of depth and something that looks like it took a ton of time when it really didn't. To really intensify the red, you can after your initial passes go back and put more white over it and just hit it with a little kandy and it will be brighter and glow. With white you have to be careful if you do this cause it will want to turn pink. Adding red basecoat then red kandy will be a lot brighter. I'm getting ahead of myself here as I don't know what you are doing yet lol but just a few things you can do. Just let me know what you plan on doing and I'll help you with best way to tackle it.

When do you plan on doing this, I mean like is it going to be a weekend project or a weekday one...

I don't know bro. This guy asked me 3 months ago if I were still airbrushing. (He knew of the foreclosure & Divorce ripped me a new one so he was asking for good reason) He tells me he's building a trike for his brother. Says he'd like me to paint it. He msged me tonight and said "We're almost to the painting stage of that trike, if you still want it, I'd like for you to paint it"

...and here we are, lol. I told him I'd like to have THEM clear it, but I thought about doing it myself. People are telling me to use the 2k clear on it (the can) so IDK. I've not cleared a whole lot to be honest and it's always scared me.

aight well I was just asking because if you run into problems and needed help I'm not always on due to work and such so was gonna see if you wanted my cell in case you needed to text me or something if you got into a bind.

That would be awesome man, I appreciate it. PM your # if you'd like and I'll jot it down in my professional book.

Back