M

msheetrit

hello
today i have only 5 bottles of paint
golden acrylic opauqe
and i need to buy paint
i use the badger krome
i have about 60$ to invest on it include the reducer
need it to be erasable with long time window, dont want the tipdry as much ass possiable
need the paint to go high prefomence to do illostration and photorealism.
one thing i dont like about the golden is that it doesent have phazes its only on/off action doesent matter how much you reduce it.
tried the wicked opauqe dident like it
too much td very stickey solvent smell, hard to clean from the ab.
short erase window time.
but if i will dont find somthing better in the price i will buy
the dru 17 bottles detail set plus another 16 oz w100 reducer.
all general dont like the idea so much
and on the other hand i dont have 100$ to buy 10-12 1oz etac efx which i want to try so much and maybe i dont need at this point in my ab life.
just want worth money spend.
most of the time i will use it on wood plate coated formica
good surface for erasing we dont have here the school hammers and ..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't sure, maybe send off for some samples? Then you can decide which is the way to go, and if it is a bit outside of your budget, get the colour you use most, and then build up the set over time.

Com-art is about the easiest to use being it is already reduced enough to use straight out the bottle. More reduction is an option on it.
Colors art good and so far they have held up well on the couple of mail boxes I have painted .

You can get a ETAC EFX set from USA airbrush for $36.00 that has black, white, yellow, magenta, red, and blue. You could pick up a few other colors and still have a nice beginning set of paint to start. Can mix almost any color from whats included in the set. For what you said you will be using it for you are probably going to be mixing your colors to match your reference anyway. Then there is always comart paint which is fairly cheap.
John

sampels are out because of shiping price to israel/
etac cost to much and i got this far with white black red blue and yello
now i want to go hige and start with transeperent.
about comart...
i read the recomendtion in the posts about them...
i am thing of buying me
30 bottles
that are mostly transperent
and about 3 whites and 2 black and maybe reducer if there is one
that will give me good arsenal to paint with.
but can you tell me about them
if like compare to regular golden airbrush?
is it better? finer grain? eraseable? what about td? i heard the white sucks...what do you recomend? maybe can you recomend how to build my order?
is the transperent are like wicked detail in the idea of building he layers and process?
maybe can we open this subject more?

ETac EFX has just about no tip dry, even the white, it smells good, like fruit. It is erasable. It is not the cheapest paint. You would want to get it either from the UK or Marrissa's site in the Netherlands , at least I think it is. Nite and day better than the Createx illustration paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Specially formulated for the airbrush, ready-to-use COM-ART colors offer tremendous versatility, superior atomization and brilliant results. COM-ART colors are light-fast and instant drying. Heavily pigmented with the finest ground pigments for smooth spraying and accurate four color separations. Opaques and transparents can be mixed without any color bleeding or show-through problems.
I have not had too many issues with the white.

If I just did illustration I would go for the com art also.. If you want the most versatile I would stick with wicked detail ALL whites suck.

The idea of solvent in my house plus the stiff snd stickness of wicked is what i am affraid of... the dru set Looks good price...
I am thinking what to buy the wicked or comart
I am not doing just ilu infact i havent done one.
I painting versatil subjects.
Its hard to decide
Because i havent tried comart or detail wicked
Just tried the opauqe with reduction that fit 0.35 and not krome 0.2

The idea of solvent in my house plus the stiff snd stickness of wicked is what i am affraid of... the dru set Looks good price...
I am thinking what to buy the wicked or comart
I am not doing just ilu infact i havent done one.
I painting versatil subjects.
Its hard to decide
Because i havent tried comart or detail wicked
Just tried the opauqe with reduction that fit 0.35 and not krome 0.2

I use WICKED most of the time during the winter months, There is no solvent in WICKED / WICKED detail.
Comart will also paint on any surface, Made by the folks who put out IWATA
Both will work through the krome. Wicked you will just have to play with reduction more than the comart.

I read that wicked are mikd solvent...
I dont mind playind with reduction. I like it《
Short erasing time is what i dont like
Maybe just buy the dru set plus another 16 oz bottle and close it?
The amount is good per price.
Mannnn i am confused

I read that wicked are mikd solvent...
I dont mind playind with reduction. I like it《
Short erasing time is what i dont like
Maybe just buy the dru set plus another 16 oz bottle and close it?
The amount is good per price.
Mannnn i am confused

No Wicked is not a mild solvent other wise it would not mix with water very well and you would see the water separate from the paint.
Dru helped work on the WICKED line and the illustration line for Wicked .
So not really sure which Dru Blair set you are talking about . I think he also has an Etac set and a comart set.
Kind of like the name sells the product. But if I painted as awesome as Dru I would be a very happy person:D

Its 17 bottles 2oz
Detail
2 of them are white
And 2 w100
It cost 65$
Its cheaper then buying it sepertly
And thinking of buying another 8oz w100
And close iy there

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried quite a few different paints as you can see from the list in my signature below and I have also got some Etac EFX to try and to be honest I keep going back to Com-Art. Com-Art is a very easy to use paint, great for illustrations both the opaques and transparents, they have a wide range of colours and it is erasable which is what you want. The Com-Art White is bad but the Photo/Neutral White is better than the Opaque White however I have also just bought some Com-Art Medium (Transparent Base) which helps a lot when mixed with the White to reduce tip-dry. But I just get used to cleaning the tip-dry off on a childs soft toothbrush with cleaning fluid on it. It is also a very good price. I also use the Com-Art gloss varnish which can be sprayed straight from the bottle.

If you want an easy airbrushing life and a great, affordable, erasable illustration paint, I'd get the Com-Art. It is already thin but you can reduce it with bottled water and you don't need to buy anything else unless you really want to.
Cheers Mel

Well...
Which ones do you recomend in com art
Transperent set and what else?
I think with shiping chicago airbrush supply are the chipest to me

Well...
Which ones do you recomend in com art
Transperent set and what else?
I think with shiping chicago airbrush supply are the chipest to me
I would get the trans and the opaque set , That way if you want to you can layout a painting in opaques and then layer some transparent on top to make it really pop.

I have golden 4oz bottles
White,red,blue,yello and black opauqe
Maybe i can combine the layers? With comart...
Not mix
Only layers
I was thinking transperent primery set
And the gray set
And if i have too another opauqe set
Or just another bottle of white and mix buffer my self by adding the value of white to transperent like i heard poeple do.
I want the reducer i cant find it on chicago airbrush supply.

I have golden 4oz bottles
White,red,blue,yello and black opauqe
Maybe i can combine the layers? With comart...
Not mix
Only layers
I was thinking transperent primery set
And the gray set
And if i have too another opauqe set
Or just another bottle of white and mix buffer my self by adding the value of white to transperent like i heard poeple do.
I want the reducer i cant find it on chicago airbrush supply.

comart has no reducer . It is thin enough as is but I have used W100,W500 and at times just plain water for it.

Is the transperent are just for glazing or can i do details with it?
Whats the diference again between regular white and photo white?
I see that there is a reducer its a medium color its just that chicago doesent sell it just like they only sell the 1oz paint zise.
I like to control the paint and to build it slowly
I understad that its loaded with pigment so maybe i do need to reduce it? If so maybe i need binder reducer and not water so it wont brake by adding water and do the spider thing?

Hi msheetrit,
You can get Com-Art Medium, lots of paint colour choice, paint sets and Com-Art varnish from this UK Airbrush webshop. I get my Com-Art from them and am very happy with their service, the postage is very reasonable from UK to Holland.

Here is the link; https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=4_25&osCsid=9ea1fd3cfa209991d8d6c14928a01ca0

Don't mix up the terms Reducer with Transparent Base as they are 2 different things. Com-Art Medium is a transparent base that is basically paint with no pigment so it doesn't thin the paint it make the colour less intense but keeps the viscosity and binding qualities where as Water will thin the paint and has no binding qualities.

In airbrushing terms a Reducer is a clear liquid that is specially made for a brand of paint to thin its viscosity to make it easier to spray through the nozzle. Transparent Base (like Com-Art Medium) is the same viscosity as the paint but with no pigment so it lowers the intensity of the colour but also disperses the pigment particles which will also make it easier to spray. I hope that makes sense :)

I'm not sure exactly why Photo/Neutral White sprays a bit better than the Opaque White but it does. It is a Neutral White so perhaps there are less pigment particles in it, also because it is neutral it gives less blue shift than the Opaque White although I do add a very, very tiny bit of Warm Tone (from the gray set H) just in case.

I haven't used the transparents much because I mostly use the "Gray Set H" opaque paints, they make correcting mistakes possible :) I make lots of mistakes :) But the Opaque paints are Matt and the Transparents seem to be more glossy.
Cheers Mel

Back