Need Help picking Airbrush

Iwata-Medea High Performance Plus C
( This one i do not know the differnce between the CS, and i do not know if should go with this or CS)

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Performance-Action-Large-Gravity/dp/B0018A7QJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450245369&sr=8-2&keywords=iwata airbrush

Airbrush HP-CS (japan import)

( do not know differnce between HP-CS and eclipse version. Did a little reading and someone said bigger cup but same, but this one looks like as big a cup on the eclipse. )

"Eclipse" is just the common marketing name that model line of brushes. "HP-CS" and "Eclipse-CS" are the same brush: "Eclipse HP-CS" is the proper full name, but users and vendors shorten that to "Eclipse CS" or "HP-CS" according to arbitrary preference. Japanese import versions have different packaging, and aren't covered under local service warranties outside Japan (i.e. you'd have to send it back to Japan for warranty service instead of the US office), but the actual hardware is the exact same brush off the exact same assembly line.

The High Performance C Plus (HP-C+ for short) is a higher end model (between Eclipse and Micron). It's designed more specifically for detail work than the Eclipses (they can both be used as all-rounders, they just have different biases). The nozzle structure is different: more precises, but possibly fussier to disassemble and clean for a beginner, and it has an integrated MAC air valve for making fine adjustments to air pressure without taking your hand or attention off the brush.

It's (on paper: I've never used one myself) a more capable brush than the Eclipse in some areas, but not as much of an ideal beginner's brush, so a lot of people end up starting out with an Eclipse, then skipping right over the "High Performance" line altogether and buying a Micron when it comes time to upgrade. However if you don't anticipate being able to afford a Micron (not just to buy one: they can cost a lot to maintain as well), or feel confident jumping in closer to the deep end learning-curve wise, then it might be a better investment than an Eclipse. Maybe: like I say, I haven't used one.

I STRONGLY second what others have advised: take Nada up on his offer to try out his brushes before making a purchasing decision, as this will settle A LOT of questions (including many you won't even know existed) about what you want in your own brushes. This could stand to save you a lot of fuss and expense both short term and long term.

"Eclipse" is just the common marketing name that model line of brushes. "HP-CS" and "Eclipse-CS" are the same brush: "Eclipse HP-CS" is the proper full name, but users and vendors shorten that to "Eclipse CS" or "HP-CS" according to arbitrary preference. Japanese import versions have different packaging, and aren't covered under local service warranties outside Japan (i.e. you'd have to send it back to Japan for warranty service instead of the US office), but the actual hardware is the exact same brush off the exact same assembly line.

The High Performance C Plus (HP-C+ for short) is a higher end model (between Eclipse and Micron). It's designed more specifically for detail work than the Eclipses (they can both be used as all-rounders, they just have different biases). The nozzle structure is different: more precises, but possibly fussier to disassemble and clean for a beginner, and it has an integrated MAC air valve for making fine adjustments to air pressure without taking your hand or attention off the brush.

It's (on paper: I've never used one myself) a more capable brush than the Eclipse in some areas, but not as much of an ideal beginner's brush, so a lot of people end up starting out with an Eclipse, then skipping right over the "High Performance" line altogether and buying a Micron when it comes time to upgrade. However if you don't anticipate being able to afford a Micron (not just to buy one: they can cost a lot to maintain as well), or feel confident jumping in closer to the deep end learning-curve wise, then it might be a better investment than an Eclipse. Maybe: like I say, I haven't used one.

I STRONGLY second what others have advised: take Nada up on his offer to try out his brushes before making a purchasing decision, as this will settle A LOT of questions (including many you won't even know existed) about what you want in your own brushes. This could stand to save you a lot of fuss and expense both short term and long term.

i practice with it off and on the quick disconnect. I do not know what i prefer yet but i know it works i just had to unscrew the bottom part and add it to the top part of the quick disconnect to make it work on the sparmax 35 max. I do not know the hose it is the one nada gave me so would have to ask him :p

Ah, I think I see.

My MAC valve quick connector is a Badger one*, and it actually has an Iwata/Grex/Master fitting on the female connector-to-hose end, but came with an Iwata-to Badger adapter preinstalled there. I guess Badger is buying their female connectors from another manufacturer, and just whacking an adapter on there to "Badgerize" it before putting it in their own packaging.

Sounds/reads like you have a Badger hose, and your Badger connector is one of those outsourced ones with an adapter, which if true would mean Sparmax uses the same fitting size/type as Iwata/Grex/Master. In which case the Iwata brushes should work with what you already have in exactly the same way as your Sparmax brush.

*If you're wondering why I bought a Badger connector when I said my hose was Iwata, it's because after comparing the various brands/models of MAC valves, Badger's is the shortest even with an adapter.

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, I got a Iwata eclipse hp-cs and i love the thing :) nada came over the day i got it. Kinda funny how i got it but will tell that if interested lol. Anyways wanted to thank everyone for there info. I have only got to airbrush with it 1 time really because right after that happened i got to go to the ER and been in bed for almost entire week because hurt to much to sit up.

Glad you found a brush to move forward with.
Do tell us the funny story :)

lol well kinda funny :p nada thought it was. My family has had a hard few years, and i am fighting for disability so i try to spend as little as i can since my mom is taking care of me. Fighting for disability for 3 years and she takes care of my gas, insurance ( even though both very low since i don't drive much ), and any other expenses. We all said in our family no one would get anyone anything for christmas. My brother is disabled to, he has major back issues from a 2 ruptured disc , 4 bulging disc, cyatic nerve pinched, degenerating disc, sliped vertebra and few other issues. Last thing me or my brother wanted was to live off the government, i tried to work for 10 years but found there is no way i can handle stress, or people well. Mine is more mental with some physical when my brothers is mostly physical with some mental. We have learned to live and enjoy what we can. Sorry for going to darker part lol but had to paint a picture as i can say.

Well to get to the story my brothers friend was staying over and helping him. My mom went up to lavell ( brothers friend ) and asked him if he could find out without letting him know she wanted to get him anything for Christmas, what he might want. Lavell goes into the living room with my brother and just says out loud " so your mom wants me to find out what you want for Christmas, so what do you want? " so that blew the surprise since neither of us thought we would get anything, we told her not to get us anything we already used enough of her money ( brother fighting for disability for 6 years ) . She comes in and just ask me since the surprise was no more what i wanted. She pretty much knew what i wanted but was not sure on exactly witch airbrush so i just ended up going and buying it, giving it to her so she could wrap it. The running joke for a week was seeing a Christmas present wrapped and i would be like " oh i am gonna be so surprised when i get this, i have no idea what it is! ". Nada comes over and i show him the wrapped box and told him the story so he laughed and i opened it there and of course the airbrush i went and bought.

Anyways sorry to make story so long i hope this is funny to ya :p

Back