Needing some advice please!

Mahlon

Young Tutorling
Hi guys. I came here in hope of some advice with the set up I'm using. First off I own a Iwata neo airbrush. I bought mainly for painting gundams. Now I dont have a very good air compressor for airbrushing (atleast that's what I assume) but I'm having major issues being able to paint fine lines. Im wondering If it's because the compressor is to big? What happens is if I turn the pressure down it wont hardly spray but after adjusting the pressure then it almost splatters on the parts. I am pretty inexperienced so that could have alot to do with it also. I attached a photo of the air compressor I use. The paint I use is creatix airbrush paint. If I'm just painting the peices solid I dont have any issues because I can just spray the part further away and its fine. I was trying to spray highlights on my primed parts and had a hell of a time. It either went on to thick because I was up close to the part trying to spray a fine line or I would just miss where I wanted the paint to land. I've been considering buying the Iwata Ninja but I airbrush in my bathroom and I'm not sure how loud the ninja will be since it stays on while painting. The one I use is super loud but it only takes a minute or so and its filled and then I airbrush. I know this post is jumbled and I apologize but any advice would be great. Thank you!. Oh I also have a iwata filter that is attached to my airbrush.

Attachments

• husky-portable-air-compressors-h1504st2-64_1000.jpg
    husky-portable-air-compressors-h1504st2-64_1000.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 14
OK so a numbeWelcome dragon.jpg r of things here... while I'm replying to a few, how about going along to the Intro section and post an intro for us... :)

"I'm having major issues being able to paint fine lines." What is it you are trying to do? How long have you been painting? What type of brush are you using? The reality is fine lines come with about 100 hours of practice and a dam steady hand! Even then it will have fuzzy edges, not sharp like a brush. An airbrush may not be the right tool for the job.

"What happens is if I turn the pressure down it wont hardly spray but after adjusting the pressure then it almost splatters on the parts. " 25 to 30 psi should be good for spraying. Are you reducing it any? Are you setting the pressure with the air on or off? (Should be air on...)

"The paint I use is creatix airbrush paint." What size nozzle are you using? This is a fabric paint and needs a MINIMUM nozzle size of 0.5mm as per the manufacturers guidelines. You've said you are using a Neo but what is the nozzle size?

The compressor is great for what you are doing in terms of air delivery, etc. Too big is rarely the problem, that is why you have a regulator.

Like Mark said the compressor isn’t the problem, it’s just a learning thing and that’s cool, that’s what everyone is here for.
To paint a fine delicate highlight it will need thinner paint than if you’re blasting in colour on a larger area. Generally speaking the more reducer that’s added to the paint, the lower you’ll want to drop the pressure. There are some great videos on reducing paint, but don’t get caught up in the details. The amount of reducer needed to spray detail will be different for each person due to paint, airbrush, experience, temperature, level of moisture in the air etc.
The videos though are great for understanding the concepts and then we can apply that to our own setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the reply. I will definitely watch the videos. So I found the Neo box and it said the needle size is 0.35. The reason why I was using the creatix was because I wanted acrylics because I am painting in my bathroom and didn't want to stink the house up or my wife would kill me lol. I've painted 4 models so far and they've came out well. This is my first one were I'm trying highlights. I took a few photos hopefully they will upload. I was worried because the parts were so messy but after spraying a light top coat on I'm thinking it's going to work. I knew it was mostly inexperience but I was worried the compressor wasn't helping. I do have a acrylic thinner and i forgot to look at the bottle but I also have a bottle of stuff that came with the creatix and it makes it a harder paint and helps with the flow. Anyway I do appreciate the help. Thank you. (Unfortunately it wont let me upload pictures. Keeps saying it's to large)

all of the Createx line is a waterbourne paint so it is safer than urethane for sure, I don’t know I’d be spraying in the house at higher pressures because it will drift !

the ‘airbrush color’ Series you have is designed for 50psi and a .5 needle as Mark has already pointed out. Just because you reduce the paint and drop the psi it doesn’t mean it will play nice with your .35 neo.
Maybe consider the wicked detail or illustration series from Createx for their finer pigment

I've actual looked at wicked colors the other night. I'll have to get some. Ok so I made this Imgur with the model I'm working on now. The last few photos is me trying the shading. I tried shading on the shoulders but the blue was to dark and doesn't show much. I appreciate all the help and I've gotten some great advice. Hopefully I don't ruin this model to bad. http://imgur.com/gallery/V47rVzX

all of the Createx line is a waterbourne paint so it is safer than urethane for sure, I don’t know I’d be spraying in the house at higher pressures because it will drift !

the ‘airbrush color’ Series you have is designed for 50psi and a .5 needle as Mark has already pointed out. Just because you reduce the paint and drop the psi it doesn’t mean it will play nice with your .35 neo.
Maybe consider the wicked detail or illustration series from Createx for their finer pigment
I'm going to do some research and see if my gun will take a .5 needle or not. I honestly don't know much about airbrushing or painting in general. I've watched a 100 different tutorials and learned alot but still have a long ways to go before I actual understand what I'm doing. If I ever do understand what I'm doing lol.

I'm going to do some research and see if my gun will take a .5 needle or not.
I"ve tried doing a quick check for you and mostly there is no mention of converting the neo to a .5, I did see one mention that the needle/nozzle for the BCN (the siphon feed) can be used, but I'd get confirmation on that before handing over any cash. @DaveG may be able to advise if its possible.

I've watched a 100 different tutorials and learned alot but still have a long ways to go before I actual understand what I'm doing. If I ever do understand what I'm doing lol.
You are starting in exactly the same place that a lot of us did, no clue what we're doing just throwing paint in and seeing what happens lol
Seriously though, if you have any questions then by all means ask away before pulling out your hair or handing over your hard earned $$ :)

As Mark pointed out above, if you are trying to do sharp crisp lines with the airbrush on small models then maybe the airbrush isn't the tool to have in your hand. The airbrush is an amazing tool but there are times that a good hairy brush is quicker and the results are better.

I'm going to do some research and see if my gun will take a .5 needle or not.
I"ve tried doing a quick check for you and mostly there is no mention of converting the neo to a .5, I did see one mention that the needle/nozzle for the BCN (the siphon feed) can be used, but I'd get confirmation on that before handing over any cash. @DaveG may be able to advise if its possible.

I've watched a 100 different tutorials and learned alot but still have a long ways to go before I actual understand what I'm doing. If I ever do understand what I'm doing lol.
You are starting in exactly the same place that a lot of us did, no clue what we're doing just throwing paint in and seeing what happens lol
Seriously though, if you have any questions then by all means ask away before pulling out your hair or handing over your hard earned $$ :)

Steve at Airbrushmegastore.com.au here in Australia has the best prices around for Iwata / createx / autoborne paints and is always happy to take a phone call or facebook message and make sure you have the right gear for what you need.

For painting models, I’d suggest acrylic paint for models. Badger makes an excellent primer called Stynylrez and it comes in a variety of colours. It doesn’t require thinning, is self-leveling and can be sanded well when thoroughly dry.
Tamiya paints have a slight smell, but not particularly strong or brain-damaging. Mr Hobby Aqueous is very similar to Tamiya but has the advantage of more colours and colours that reflect real-world military colours without have to mix them yourself.
The least “lethal” model paint is probably Mission Models Paint, which is probably made by Createx as the thinners and poly mixes are identical. It has no smell, its website has plenty of tips on how to thin and spray, and it’s very easy to work with.

Back