Needle Gripping

N

Naggash

Hi everyone,

I've bought a Badger 105 Patriot in order to learn airbrushing, everything was going smooth, but i encountered an issue and can't figure out how to solve it.

Sometimes the needle seems to be gripping while the trigger is going back to it's initial position after being pulled, so there is a delay before the release of the trigger and the stop of the paint flow
It even stay stuck in "full triggered" sometimes (even without any paint in it, just air).

I've though about using an oil of some kind in order to ease the process but i don't know if that would help or the type of oil i need to use or the pat of the airbrush i need to lubricate.

I take great care of it and clean every part of the airbrush after each session, the needle bearing hole seems fine and not obstructed.

If you have an advice on how to delay the "splattering" effect caused by dry paint i'm also interested, i'm using the Scale75 scalecolor line.

Thank you.

Welcome.
I suggest you head to the intro section and say hello properly.
Where are you located - how long have you been airbrushing. What thinners are you using.
Asking 'why is it stuck is not enough info to properly diagnose the problem. However I am leaning towards improper thinning and insufficient cleaning

It might be you just don't have enough pressure on the return spring to overcome the paint/rear packing seal

Return spring pressure may be too low, or there's gunk at the back of the colour area, which is jamming the needle in the open position. This will need cleaned with thinners and a q-tip/cotton bud poked into the colour cup.

There should be an adjuster inside the rear of the brush which adjusts the pressure that the trigger / needle pushes forwards. Turn it clockwise to increase the pressure. This has happened on my brush before, and most of the time it's just been crud in the colour cup.

Hope this helps.

Ps welcome!

Stuart

It could be quite a few things giving hesitation but first you have to diagnose it very closely..That is "seems" to do something is hard to make a guess on the exact problem.Its either hesitating or your hesitating so its best to know which it is first before trying to fix it :) For example the slight delay your seeing could just be the needle not seating properly initially for that millisecond or two and you get that little tail on a stroke, it could be your not snapping of as fast sometimes as you do other times, especially if its only an occasional occurrence so it could be human error..Is it actually mechanically catching? if so you would likely feel resistance to a reasonable degree all the time, but if its light interference it could be a bent needle and alignment is out so its riding on the nozzle as it enters it (Doesn't take a huge bend to do so), could be a spring issue or gunk build up as mentioned...before you go out and buy any oil (Its only a needle lubricant that is water soluble anyway and will not only splatter oil onto your work if you forgot you lubed it but disappears pretty quickly, its more for storing your airbrushes when not needed and no other part needs lubrication except maybe the air valve)..First try rolling your needle on a flat piece of glass or such, check for bends over the full length of the needle. Check closely with a loupe that the nozzle has not burrs or cracks, no little hooks on the needle also. place the needle back in lightly lubricating it with some spit (cheaper than oil LOL), tighten things up and then watch the action of how the needle is exiting the nozzle, is it central? Does it seem to resist or ride, if so try rotating the needle slightly and try again..Does it work best in a particular alignement?..If not it could just be a human error thing..and thats harder to fix LOL but the mechanical aspect if its doing so shouldn't be to hard to see or feel why with some fault finding as they are pretty simple little machines..Good luck

Back