Needles and knock off's

Mat

Double Actioner
Hi all i have been looking at some knock off's online and a few like Veda and the AMA-128K,HS80 etc and some of the companies don't sell replacement needles and parts.....Now here's the question lol

Are all knock off airbrushes basically the same size ?? meaning do all 0.2,0.3,0.8 fit all knock off's are they all the same size length etc as I don't want to buy something and not be able to get replacement parts etc :disturbed:

Oh also i have only been able to find Veda's going up to a 0.5 can you get 0.8 by any chance or can someone recommend somewhere that does it all ?? Any idea or info would be very grateful :encouragement:

Sometimes but not all the time. The diameter of the needle can vary between makers of name brand. the same with knockoff.
I suggest buy a name brand , Badger makes some really affordable airbrushes, and has a great warranty , Plus you have the advantage of talking to Ken Badger right here on this forum .
He is a great guy and shares tons of knowledge.

I am trying to think why you would even need a .8 in an airbrush. Being t-shirt artist use a .5 and most times the are shooting straight Createx out of the bottle.

I'm not a fan of knock offs at all!! I would have said the exact same as micron about badger. With knock off just remember the old saying..... You get what you pay for........ Then when that one screws up and drives you crazy, then you have to spend even more money to buy another. Buy quality and you'll be happy in the end. I almost bought a bunch of master brushes and I am so happy that I didn't.

Josh

Cheers Herb I have been making some Coat racks with a Gothic/Tribal style as I have been off work for the last year and am awaiting a back operation that may work or go pear shaped ;( The racks are made from MDF and I have been covering them with and oil based undercoat as to not raise the grain/texturing of the MDF and then an T/C with and acrylic black satin all this done with a gloss roller and all edges finished with a detail brush, which can be time consuming ;(

I used to do some spraying when I was younger and from what I have read on line etc I have come to think that a Mini HVLP spray gun with a .8 set up will be the best for covering them.
original.jpgsmall coat rack.jpgbig 2.jpg

They are generally about 2.5ft x 1.5ft and as you can see,so I want to get my arm back in with the priming and top coating etc of them i can practice my dots and daggers ;)

I am under no illusion that to get any where near as good to be putting detail on then will be quite a while off but I want to learn and as money is very tight as I am self employed with no sick pay ;( I have read that Veda are the best quality of all the knock off's out there.

I do believe in the age old adage (You get what you pay for) but as I am doing this on a shoe string you cam see money plays a big part in how I can get started :( I have already got a 25 litre compressor and soundproofed it from being 94db to it now being at about 50db as will be doing my Airbrush practising my indoors and the priming and top coats in my she.

It's just a nightmare trying to get started on a shoe string ;( I'f you think I need a different set up for priming ,T/C I would be grateful of any advice or ideas as I'm new to all this but want to get started as soon as possible as I'm bored witless with having nothing to do/look forward to and this gives a light at the end of the tunnel lol ;)

Again any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated from yourselves.....Thank's for your time Mat ;)

Attachments

• treble clef.jpg
    treble clef.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 18
  • coatrack3.jpg
    coatrack3.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Oh I'm not sure if you can see the pics of what I have done if not please look at ( Matthew Webster Painting and Decorating ) on Facebook and could you let me know if you can see them on here as I an cack at techi stuff lol my ither half calls me a modern day luddite hahahahah ;)

Dude those are killer , , A mini spray sun will be perfect to lay on the coating... I also see pin striping on them too .
But I too understand shoe string budgets. but like you I have heard that for knock off they are among the best.

Back surgery is no fun at all... Been there .

Cheers pal Iv'e got lots on paper what I'm hoping to do is get a fair few cut out rubbed down and ready for paint before the op then when I can't be jumping off the wardrobe hahahaha I can get to priming top coat etc but as soon as I am up and running will try everything till they want to turn ones back into a road map :(

One of the first ones I did was the one with the silver hooks I posted some pics of them and all my FB friends went wild for them so I reckon there's a market for them even in just plain black but if I can detail them also at some point they will walk out the door lol so watch this space ;)

I'd love nothing more than to buy Badger from first looking into this I've watched all of Ken Badgers videos on YouTube and hope it doesn't sound to daft fell in love with Badger Airbrushes they do everything and are so easy to strip down etc.....But I will have to wait till I sell one or two of these before I treat myself as what the kids need comes first ;) Dad can always wait ;( whoever coined the phrase "the joys of parenthood" should of added on Oh wait see if Dad needs anything hahahahah ;)

But it will come, the other thing with me is I am a perfectionist by nature so god knows when I think i'll be ready to put any detail on them to send out the door,but people like them as they are at the moment so finishing them by spraying will give them an even better look.To be honest pal I can't wait to start practising it may sound a tad sad but have managed save £31 quid so I'm off to order a Veda 186 kit with the 3 cups and a 0.3 needle will get an 0.5 as soon as possible as it may be easier starting off with that ??? so will give me 2 weeks to get everything else sorted lol although I will be using Spectra Tex so till I can afford them Ken will be halfway in lol with my gear

Hi all i have been looking at some knock off's online and a few like Veda and the AMA-128K,HS80 etc and some of the companies don't sell replacement needles and parts.....Now here's the question lol

Are all knock off airbrushes basically the same size ?? meaning do all 0.2,0.3,0.8 fit all knock off's are they all the same size length etc as I don't want to buy something and not be able to get replacement parts etc :disturbed:

Oh also i have only been able to find Veda's going up to a 0.5 can you get 0.8 by any chance or can someone recommend somewhere that does it all ?? Any idea or info would be very grateful :encouragement:

I bought a VEDA, If you are not doing any detail work, it may be fine. It uses a lot of rubber O Rings, which don't seal well sometimes. Not worth it, you may quit out of frustration. Beginners should start with a mid ranged badger like micron said.

I know all too well the kids needs and don't forget the mrs..LOL Dad always waits .But I guess that is just part of being a dad..

Spectra-tex is great paint and you will love it through that .3. In fact you should not have to reduce it at all.
I wish you the best on the back surgery . I have been through my share of back surgeries due to be hit my a military police jeep about 25 years ago. But some days are good and some aren't but that is life.

Thank's jagardn this makes me wonder now hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.... lol?? I may well save ones pennies lol and wait till I can afford what I really want...A Badger... lol thank's for that it's one of the thing's I haven't heard about Veda, looks like Ken is going to get all of ones cash lol ;) but I suppose it's always best to start as you mean to go on ;)

I got hit with the family in the car last January pal the rest of the family just had whiplash but I seemed to come of a lot worse than them , I have to have 2 vertebra pinned together as the one above is knackered and if the do anything to that before they sort out the bottom one It may leave me wheelchair bound apparently it goes wrong more than it goes right :(

Sounds like you have been through the mill also pal, hope you have more good days than bad days :) and I'll just carry on regardless all the best and thankyou all for you knowledge.It is very very much appreciated ;)

I have and use a Veda WD180 (Micron knock off) that came with 0.2 & 0.3 needle/nozzle set up. I found the 0.2 quite difficult to get away with. Lots of blocking and continually cleaning. That said I also have an HS infinity and have the same problems with that so its probably to do with paint reduction. I have bent the needle once and had no problems getting a new needle/nozzle combo from chine using ebay.
I fitted the 0.3 needle and nozzle and that improved things considerably. I can get some reasonably fine detail from this gun. It is a bit fiddly cleaning and I definatly like the nozzles on my Hs and Iwata eclipse when it comes to cleaning as they are quite big in physical size. Overall I think the WD180 is well built and actually is very well finished (certainly externally). I would buy another veda wd180 but wouldnt really entertain the lower end CSA stuff.

Next brush will be the Krome or HS evolution!

Thank's jagardn this makes me wonder now hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.... lol?? I may well save ones pennies lol and wait till I can afford what I really want...A Badger... lol thank's for that it's one of the thing's I haven't heard about Veda, looks like Ken is going to get all of ones cash lol ;) but I suppose it's always best to start as you mean to go on ;)

If you want my VEDA, I will give it to you. Are you in the US?

LOL knock offs are cheap, thats kinda why they don't bother with spare parts, the idea they want you to follow is if it breaks or I should say, when it breaks, just buy a new one LOL.

Back