Neo for Iwata...damn nice AB for the price.

C

contenderfan

I just thought I would post this and see if anyone else is getting this kind of results from a Neo. It seems alot of people think the Neo is not much better than the cheap chinese knock-offs. I dont know, maybe I got one that was made when all the stars and planets were in alignment...but I cant get this kind of control from my Eclipse HP-CS. The line running parallel between the blue ruled lines is a hair donated from my lovely wife for comparison. The curly-q line was done with a Neo. Createx thinned 4:1 @20 psi
The Neo blends better and has better atomization than my Eclipse also, not to mention smoother and more responsive. The Eclipse is nice but the Neo just blows it away...go figure.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/mhill69/1stairbrushattempt-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one for just over a year now, some do compare them to the Chinese knock offs, but the difference is they carry the Iwata guarantee and spares are easy to find, not that iv'e ever needed them, it's a work horse and maybe not as nice to look at than the top of the range Iwata stuff, but it does the job, and as you say you can get some exceptional detail with it, If I broke this one I would certainly buy another.

There are a few guys here on the forum who have done some amazing work with the same airbrush and I would recommend it to anyone starting out who doesn't want to pay out to much just to get started and even if you get something more advanced ot with a smaller tip, it's handy to keep around for filling in larger areas while keeping the better brushes for detail.

I've seen some of the criticism it's had, but it's never let me down except for one occasion when I didn't clean it properly, but that was my fault. there has been more discussion over it here, have look through archives.

Also, you might want to play around with thinning and pressures, I work mostly between 5 - 10 psi with ten to one thinning (heavier pigments generally need more psi), I have tried 20 - 1 but the neo tends to complain about that, lol

Neo is a great affordable airbrush, That is what Iwata designed them to be. Yes they are made in China. But to Iwata specs.

Being they are pretty mush the same set up as the CS they should shoot the same, But in your case it shoots better than the CS.

By the way I was looking through your album Nice old Ford tractor. Killer coin collection and I saw a couple of nice powder horns .

Neo is a great affordable airbrush, That is what Iwata designed them to be. Yes they are made in China. But to Iwata specs.

Being they are pretty mush the same set up as the CS they should shoot the same, But in your case it shoots better than the CS.

By the way I was looking through your album Nice old Ford tractor. Killer coin collection and I saw a couple of nice powder horns .

Yep, If memory sereves me right I think you know the story about my Eclipse adventures so far. I am on my second one, the first one turned out to be defective and was returned. The second one is much better, but for some reason my Neo is still the better airbrush. The trigger action is smoother and more consistant making dagger strokes easier to do, it atomizes better so its easier to do blends with, and it will do finer lines also. Like I said, all the planets must have been in alignment when they made that one, lol. I had an old cheapie airbrush laying around that had a cut-away handle with pre-set knob on it that had the same threads, so I put it on the Neo. That was the only thing I didnt like about the Neo, not having a cut-away handle to help clear clops with if need be. Oh and I did my version of making the trigger taller. I hot glued a piece of cork to the top of the trigger then shaped it with a tip scuffer from my pool shooting days.

The old Ford 8N is a 1950, I call it "Gramps". Runs like its new. The coins were all found with a Whites metal detector, a nice hobby that I wish my back and knees would allow me to do again.
The Powder horns are both authentic, the smaller yellowish colored one belonged to my dad. The bigger white/black one was a surface find along the Oregon Trail that was originally in pretty poor shape. the tip had been cut and partially drilled, but the back end was still untrimmed. Who knows why the person never finished it...maybe it was lost, or could have been thrown away due to a large inclusion in the body of the horn. I decided to finish it and make it my personal horn, so I trimmed the back end and capped it off, finished drilling out the tip, and then done some scrimshaw work on it. Its kind of a work in progress, I pick it up and do a little more to it now and then.

Yep, If memory sereves me right I think you know the story about my Eclipse adventures so far. I am on my second one, the first one turned out to be defective and was returned. The second one is much better, but for some reason my Neo is still the better airbrush. The trigger action is smoother and more consistant making dagger strokes easier to do, it atomizes better so its easier to do blends with, and it will do finer lines also. Like I said, all the planets must have been in alignment when they made that one, lol. I had an old cheapie airbrush laying around that had a cut-away handle with pre-set knob on it that had the same threads, so I put it on the Neo. That was the only thing I didnt like about the Neo, not having a cut-away handle to help clear clops with if need be. Oh and I did my version of making the trigger taller. I hot glued a piece of cork to the top of the trigger then shaped it with a tip scuffer from my pool shooting days.

The old Ford 8N is a 1950, I call it "Gramps". Runs like its new. The coins were all found with a Whites metal detector, a nice hobby that I wish my back and knees would allow me to do again.
The Powder horns are both authentic, the smaller yellowish colored one belonged to my dad. The bigger white/black one was a surface find along the Oregon Trail that was originally in pretty poor shape. the tip had been cut and partially drilled, but the back end was still untrimmed. Who knows why the person never finished it...maybe it was lost, or could have been thrown away due to a large inclusion in the body of the horn. I decided to finish it and make it my personal horn, so I trimmed the back end and capped it off, finished drilling out the tip, and then done some scrimshaw work on it. Its kind of a work in progress, I pick it up and do a little more to it now and then.

Very cool story on the horns. Do you ever make the mountain man days in Friendship, In? I still hunt deer with my granddads muzzle loader.
Yes the older we get the more our bodies tell us just how old we are...LOL
and that is a really nice 8N , I have an old Allis-Chalmers 1953 WD45 Sometime you can not beat the old tractors .

Herb I have not been down to friendship in a long time. Im still gonna build a flintlock one of these days...or so I keep saying. Yeah you just cant beat them old tractors, as long as you maintain them right, they just keep on chuggin alo0ng. I wish I was in as good of operating condition as my old 8N Ford lol.

Herb I have not been down to friendship in a long time. Im still gonna build a flintlock one of these days...or so I keep saying. Yeah you just cant beat them old tractors, as long as you maintain them right, they just keep on chuggin alo0ng. I wish I was in as good of operating condition as my old 8N Ford lol.

I hear ya on being in as good as working order as my old tractors..But that is also back when things were built to last..

I have built 3 flintlocks 2 way back in the late 60' early 70's and last one was last year , I built a 50 cal Hawkins for a neighbor.
He had the kits since we were kids and he never built it..LOL
I went to a turkey shoot last year in friendship and we go bogging over there sometimes. But most of my free time is spent airbrushing.

I find the Neo a useful affordable tool to have in my box, although the lack of a back stop was a problem at first but this has been rectified by purchasing a separate one. The interchangeable cup sizes are also very useful I find

Back