NEO for Iwata :/

J

jaystacy

I have a neo for iwata. Luckily I got it 40% off. I know I am new to airbrushing but a few things anyone who is concider in this should know.

1. Paint always gets into cup threads no matter how tight you make it.

2. Paint always remains in needle tube. (Sorry don't know technic let name yet)

3. No amount of cleaner has ever removed all paint from this brush. I have tried createx cleaner, rubbing alchohal, windex no ammonia or vinegar, and plain water.

So far every color change I have had to completely tear the brush down to remove all paint so there is no contamination. This could be poorly designed or bad seals. I am guessing bad design as the O ring for the cup is above the cup threads not in the airbrush. This does create an air seal but leaves space for paint to get into the threads.

So now I am going to look for a new brush around the 200 ish mark. Thinking bout harder steenbeck evolution 2 in 1. Or another iwata I do like the idea of .5 and .35 needles or close to that.

Createx trans diluted down to milk or less. The thread issue with the cup is what makes me madest. Waiting on wicked.

you've got every cleaner except restorer, I'd grab a bottle of that, its reusable so its quite economical. with the cup issue maybe some Teflon tape or a smear of beeswax (I've been told chapstick works well )

I use illustration in HP+ brushes and just use water / ammonia free windex / water routine for colour changes.(i'll remove and wipe the needle if its a severe colour change and flush brush without the needle) at end of day I use water / let is soak in restorer for 10 minutes then do the colour change routine again. seems to work well.
its possible the vinegar has etched the internals, its an acid, all be it a mild one.

Sorry ment no ammonia and no vinegar just pure windex. Now the beeswax idea I hadn't concidered. Teflon tape would be to hard but the wax idea may help.

I have a neo for iwata. Luckily I got it 40% off. I know I am new to airbrushing but a few things anyone who is concider in this should know.

1. Paint always gets into cup threads no matter how tight you make it.Just a bit of Bees wax rubbed on the thread of the cup should fix that

2. Paint always remains in needle tube. (Sorry don't know technic let name yet)If it is in where the trigger is then you may need to tighten the needle bearing .

3. No amount of cleaner has ever removed all paint from this brush. I have tried createx cleaner, rubbing alchohal, windex no ammonia or vinegar, and plain water.Createx make a product called Airbrush Restorer. But you can only soak the nozzle in it for a long period of time. If you soak the entire airbrush it will swell the o-rings and then your brush will not work.

So far every color change I have had to completely tear the brush down to remove all paint so there is no contamination. This could be poorly designed or bad seals. I am guessing bad design as the O ring for the cup is above the cup threads not in the airbrush. This does create an air seal but leaves space for paint to get into the threads.

So now I am going to look for a new brush around the 200 ish mark. Thinking bout harder steenbeck evolution 2 in 1. Or another iwata I do like the idea of .5 and .35 needles or close to that. Being you made mention of 40% off Iwata Eclipse CS is a get starter brush that Hobby Lobby carries in stock. it comes with a .35 nozzle/needle set up. Another good one in about that price range is http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=High_Performance_HP-C_Plus

Some people love their neo's others not so much. They are made for Iwata not by Iwata, I think to try and take back some of the market of those buying knock off brushes. IMO it's demeaning to their brand, and could misleading to those who recognise the Iwata name, but who are just starting out. It may be the advice you have will fix the issues, or unfortunately it may be that as they are not made by Iwata, the quality of manufacturing and materials aren't the standard you may have expected when you saw the name ( to be fair the price does reflect that) and you may have just got a poorly made one. If so I would get my money back.

However, I am actually a huge fan of Iwata. I really believe they are the best for reliability and performance - though we all have our fave brands for different reasons, including availability, ease of getting parts, how it feels it your hand, comfort of use, is the cup too close to the trigger etc- but Iwata and me are a match made in heaven:)

I always recommend the Iwata HP-CS (if you want a gravity feed). It is a .35 and is known as a workhorse rather than a detail brush, but it actually can produce some really fine work when you get to know it. It is versatile in that it can do slightly larger coverage to, it's spray pattern can go to 2 inches too. It is great to learn on, as it is easy to strip and maintain and clean, less fiddly parts and self centering nozzle. The .35 nozzle is a bit more forgiving when it comes to reducing paints than smaller fine detail brushes, and you can also get a .5 nozzle and needle to swap to out if wanted. The parts are tough and long lasting as airbrushes go, and it is not a brush you will quickly outgrow. The more you learn, the more you will get out of it. I have had one for 3 years, and swear by it. :D

Some people love their neo's others not so much. They are made for Iwata not by Iwata, I think to try and take back some of the market of those buying knock off brushes. IMO it's demeaning to their brand, and could misleading to those who recognise the Iwata name, but who are just starting out. It may be the advice you have will fix the issues, or unfortunately it may be that as they are not made by Iwata, the quality of manufacturing and materials aren't the standard you may have expected when you saw the name ( to be fair the price does reflect that) and you may have just got a poorly made one. If so I would get my money back.

However, I am actually a huge fan of Iwata. I really believe they are the best for reliability and performance - though we all have our fave brands for different reasons, including availability, ease of getting parts, how it feels it your hand, comfort of use, is the cup too close to the trigger etc- but Iwata and me are a match made in heaven:)

I always recommend the Iwata HP-CS (if you want a gravity feed). It is a .35 and is known as a workhorse rather than a detail brush, but it actually can produce some really fine work when you get to know it. It is versatile in that it can do slightly larger coverage to, it's spray pattern can go to 2 inches too. It is great to learn on, as it is easy to strip and maintain and clean, less fiddly parts and self centering nozzle. The .35 nozzle is a bit more forgiving when it comes to reducing paints than smaller fine detail brushes, and you can also get a .5 nozzle and needle to swap to out if wanted. The parts are tough and long lasting as airbrushes go, and it is not a brush you will quickly outgrow. The more you learn, the more you will get out of it. I have had one for 3 years, and swear by it. :D

I too would recommend the HP-CS over the Neo, but not because the Neo is rubbush or not suitable, most of my earlier successes where because of my Neo, I found it a very good brush for the money, I have a couple of friends who have had both the Neo and Ultra from H&S and they put it in the same league, I never had any problem with mine until I broke thanks to my own stupidity and that's where the problem starts, if the Neo needs a new nozzle and needle and in fact any other parts they are just as expensive as any mid range Iwata, so despite being an economically priced starter brush it's not cheap at all to fix, it is actually cheaper to just buy another whole brush.

I doubt Iwata would allow their name to be used at all if they didn't have any faith in the Neo's ability as a starter model, but since it's made elsewhere like any brand at all there can be a few that don't perform as well as they should and obviously Iwata have less control over that aspect, I think Iwata were happy to sponsor this model because they themselves didn't have model as economically priced as the Ultra, I say economical because there is a huge difference between economical and cheap, knockoffs are definitely cheap but the Neo and the ultra are both economical alternatives for beginners who don't wish to lay out a load of cash for something may give up a month later.

So I don't think the Neo is a bad choice, other than the cost of fixing it, but I definitely agree that the HP-CS is an even better choice, just an Evolution would be a better choice than the Ultra, and in both cases the parts cost around the same.

Matty did his last T-short for Smiler with his Neo;)

Do they make .2 or smaller needle for hp-cs? Just thinking long term.

They do make a 0.2 model but that is then the HP-BS I believe, I'm sure you can't interchange set-ups so that one brush could used as either size, you would need to buy both models.

If you choose the CS model and get to know it, it will do all you need with ease;)

No. .35mm is as small as the Eclipse goes. I have a ton of detail brushes and with the .35mm, the Eclipse is a very capable brush.

I love my Neo, i hadn't used it in a long time due to having my micron but as MB said i have used it for tshirts and i gotta say i forgot how good this wee brush is, the response on the trigger is as instant as my micron. My only repairs were due to my own mistakes. That being said i have read other people have had problems with theirs.

Thanks for info. Not saying it's a bad brush but that cleanup is piss in me off. I may just have a bad one. I'm having sis check hobby lobby today and see if they carry the CS if so I'll be making a trip tomorrow so I can get 40% off

Thanks for info. Not saying it's a bad brush but that cleanup is piss in me off. I may just have a bad one. I'm having sis check hobby lobby today and see if they carry the CS if so I'll be making a trip tomorrow so I can get 40% off
They do indeed carry it, I bought mine there because i am impatient and with the coupon not far off online prices.

The eclipse has a self centering nozzle that makes it tons easier to clean. I had a Neo, there is night and day difference in the two brushes.

With the standard .35 setup there is very little detail you cannot get.

Back