New and a little confused :/

P

p.tn

Hey guys, my name is Sylvia and I am new to airbrushing.

I was thinking about getting a compressor from a hardware store, and my question was: do I need a specific sized hose? I am going to be getting a Badger 105 airbrush, can I just get a hose from a hardware store as well?

Also, are there any good airbrush online retailers? I am from Canada and its a little hard to find stuff without tons of shipping.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to buy at least a badger hose to go with the airbrush.
The hoses that come with most compressor are to large on the connection to fit the airbrush itself. But with the hose made for the airbrush you can fit it to a hose or straight to the compressor (for compressor you may need a nipple fitting.).
Might talk to Strictly Attitude here on the forum his is a vender here on the forum View Profile: Strictly Attitude - Airbrush Forum
or try WYN-WYN which is the seller for Badger in Chicago.webairbrushes.com

I did not find any airbrush suppliers in Canada (on Internet), I do my purchases on-line and it has always been from the States with shipping, So far I have dealt with TCP Global - Quality & Service Since 1974 (for my airbrush), Chicago Airbrush Supply | Airbrush Supplies | Airbrushes for Sale (airbrush parts), and I got my paint from http://stores.ebay.ca/C-R-Crafts, the shipping charges where reasonable, but I have never ordered something heavy. But as it is for most goods in Canada, I found that even including shipping it was less expensive to order from the states most of the time :)

I hope this helps for supplies. Once you get your airbrush hose (you won't get this at the hardware store) you will need a fitting to connect it to your hardware store compressor this you can get at the hardware store, here a picture:

P1030126.jpg

To answer a few unasked questions-
Yes, a hardware store compressor will work just fine. IMO, they are the much smarter way to go unless you absolutely NEED a silent compressor. For an airbrush-only compressor, try to find something with 1hp or more, and at least a 3 gallon holding tank (sorry, I have no idea what that converts to in metric). Also, I'd stay away from "oilless" type compressors. They run hot (which puts more moisture in your lines), are inefficient, noisy as hell, and tend not to last very long. Changing your compressors oil a couple times a year is well worth it, imo.

Also, you'll need enough air hose (1/4") to reach from wherever your compressor is to wherever you'll be airbrushing. You'll also need an air filter and an air regulator. I set up mine near where I airbrush, so that air pressure adjustments can be made easily, and I don't forget to drain the filter. All of these things can be bought at any hardware store.

Also, don't forget the teflon tape. Lots of teflon tape.

I'd also recommend getting quick-disconnect fittings, and using them for the compressor to hose, hose to filter/regulator, and filter/regulator to airbrush hose connections. They aren't necessary by any means, but they make life a lot easier.

The airbrush should come with an airhose. Badger's fitting is unique to Badger, so make sure you get a hose meant for your airbrush.

I have no clue about Canadian airbrush suppliers, but I typically buy from Coastairbrush.com or Chicagoairbrushsupply.com. TCP I've had mixed results with. Bearair I've had absolutely horrible results with, and wouldn't buy from him if he had the last airbrush on earth.

The airbrush should come with an airhose. Badger's fitting is unique to Badger, so make sure you get a hose meant for your airbrush.

Okay, so mine didnt come with the airhose. Can I just buy any airhose that is the right size or do I need the specific one for badger?

and thanks for all the replies!

Okay, so mine didnt come with the airhose. Can I just buy any airhose that is the right size or do I need the specific one for badger?

and thanks for all the replies!

I have an air hose with 1/8 inch fittings which fit my compressor (some compressors have 1/4 inch fittings) and all my airbrushes EXCEPT my Badger airbrush. For this I bought a 1/8 inch to M5 (Badger Fitting) connector http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Sparmax-Adaptor.jpg .

You can buy different size connectors to fit most hose and fittings so you don't have to buy a special Badger hose unless you will only ever use Badger airbrushes. Or you can buy a M5 to 1/8 inch connector if you buy other make airbrushes in the future.

If your compressor has a 1/4 inch fitting, buy an air hose with 1/4 inch one end and 1/8 inch the other end and buy a 1/8 inch to M5 (Badger fitting) connector for your airbrush.

I have a Badger connector on my Badger airbrush with a 1/8 inch Quick Release nipple attached.

You have many options with connectors so don't worry about it too much. When you decide where you are going to buy from just ask them what you need. Connectors don't tend to be very expensive.
Good luck
Mel

Sotar with M5 connector 400dpi.jpg This is my Badger airbrush with the M5 to 1/8 inch connector.

Sotar with M5 connector and hose 400dpi.jpg This is the M5 connector fitted to the airbrush and my air hose with 1/8 inch fitting.

Sotar with M5 connector-Quick Release and hose 400dpi.jpg This shows the M5 Badger connector, a 1/8 inch Quick Release nipple and the 1/8 inch air hose with the other half of the Quick Release fitted.

There are other options.

I hope this helps
Mel

Have to agree with Mel b. I have 5 badger brushes, and I never use a badger hose, I have 3 Iwata type hoses with quick disconnects, and my Badgers have the adapter and the standard disconnect, or badger has their own disconnect male, which works with the standard airbrush size disconnect female.

I do have a Badger hose, came with my first 105, it's only 6' long. I like the 10' hoses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back