New beginner doing it for my kids :)

S

Snoochies

Hello,

This is my first time 'really' trying airbrushing. I use to be a signwriter or sticker applicator 10 years ago and in college I dabbled with a bit of airbrush and really enjoyed that little bit I did. I have recently purchased an Iwata kit and have been practising some basic strokes and lessons but am no where near getting close to making any art :(

My ultimate goal is to paint a mural in my 3 year olds room of Lightning Maqueen and Mater from Disneys Cars. My first attempts have been unsuccessful as I'm trying to do stenciling by using some photographic paper as stencils. The problem I guess is I'm painting onto butchers paper and get a fair bit of overspray with the stencil lifting up. Ultimately though in his bedroom I should be able to mask up the areas needed and cut out as I go along.

Any tips be great. Haven't had a chance to read through the forum yet so will do my research :)

I'll post up the pics of what I'm trying to do after I have made a few more posts.

Cheers

Welcome from Canada, there is plenty of help to be found on the forum, and if you have any question, just post them there will be someone who can answer you. :)

Welcome to the forum, theres plenty to read, and you can always shoot specific questions our way. Chances are someone will know how to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome home Snoochies ,
On any template you mainly want to ghost the stencil on to the area. Just enough so you can see it but not so much that you have a lip or over spray.
Than go in freehand and the use of free hand spray shields can be used to get the painting looking like you never used a stencil in the first place.

Thanks for the welcome. Already learnt something lol.

Yeah I was using the template as the actual outline so was spraying kinda hard with it.

What are spray shields? Shows how new I am to this. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Already learnt something lol.

Yeah I was using the template as the actual outline so was spraying kinda hard with it.

What are spray shields? Shows how new I am to this. :)

spray shields can range from you hand to things like this:Coast Airbrush Products
you can hand cut them or buy them. it is also how you use them to get things like a hard edge or a soft edge.
soft edges is when you hold the shield off the surface and of course you have learned hard edges from laying the template right on the surface.

Hi snoochies, welcome from the uk! If you are getting over (or under) spray, it may help to lower the pressure you are painting at, and reducing the paint to compensate. You will have to build up the colour more, but it will be more controllable, and don't ly down too much paint at once.

Also if the edges of your paper stencils are lifting allowing under spray, you could try using a bit of sheet metal as an easel, and using magnets to hold it down, or use a hole punch, or just cut little holes along the edge and use masking tape to stick it to the surface below (you need to test that the tape won't tear the paper, detack by sticking your shirt first).

What would generally be the best PSI to work with? At the moment I am only working on smallish projects A4 size. I find when I try and do small finer detail I am getting too much or I have to press the trigger down a little harder before paint comes out. By the time it does I've put too much paint on. I guess also butchers paper may not be the best to work on?? It's cheap and easy to throw out though.

I guess also with potentially working on larger projects as such as a bedroom wall, will I be able to get away with more mistakes?

Plus anyone think there is a market for bedroom murals? I've always enjoyed drawing cartoons but never been able to paint and get the whole texture thing happening. But what kid wouldn't want their favourite cartoon or movie characters on their wall and it's a big blank canvas for me. :)

Welcome Snoochies!! Key is, to LIGHTLY spray around/ in your stencil. Outline is all you need, then the rest is your magic :subdued:

Welcome from Australia!
Try using a colouring book first, to give yourself practice at spraying inside the lines.
Then you can transfer the skill to your murals.

What would generally be the best PSI to work with? At the moment I am only working on smallish projects A4 size. I find when I try and do small finer detail I am getting too much or I have to press the trigger down a little harder before paint comes out. By the time it does I've put too much paint on. I guess also butchers paper may not be the best to work on?? It's cheap and easy to throw out though.

I guess also with potentially working on larger projects as such as a bedroom wall, will I be able to get away with more mistakes?

Plus anyone think there is a market for bedroom murals? I've always enjoyed drawing cartoons but never been able to paint and get the whole texture thing happening. But what kid wouldn't want their favourite cartoon or movie characters on their wall and it's a big blank canvas for me. :)

When doing super fine detail you paint is thinner and you air pressure is lower. What happening to you is called tip dry . it is where the paint strats to dry on the tip of the needle. different people use different methods to remove the tip dry , a baby tooth brush dip in some cleaner works well for beginners.
If you have watched our founders youtube videos take some time to do so. He takes you through everything form the basics on.

airbrushtutor - YouTube
To answer your other question Yes people make money painting bedroom murals.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for the noob questions that you have probably answered numerous times.

I do like the colouring book idea and will check out more videos on here too.

For the record I'm an Aussie as well. ;)

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for the noob questions that you have probably answered numerous times.

I do like the colouring book idea and will check out more videos on here too.

For the record I'm an Aussie as well. ;)

We do not mind the questions even if they may have been answered , With more new folks coming on the knowledge base of the forum is growing too. So you may get more and maybe better answers.

And we will not hold it against you that you are another aussie.. Most of them on here are top notch people:D

We do not mind the questions even if they may have been answered , With more new folks coming on the knowledge base of the forum is growing too. So you may get more and maybe better answers.

And we will not hold it against you that you are another aussie.. Most of them on here are top notch people:D

Lol, thanks.

I found a place called Airbrush Venturi which offer night time courses. Might give them a try if my wife lets me spend the money :) Probably a good idea to get some lessons face to face.

Lol, thanks.

I found a place called Airbrush Venturi which offer night time courses. Might give them a try if my wife lets me spend the money :) Probably a good idea to get some lessons face to face.

I have had some others I know who have taking classes from them and they picked it up fast.Made me jealous cause I do not have anything like that in my state:(

I'm getting into it for similar reasons, mainly rc body shells in my case. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and get good feedback on issues or technique

welcome from honduras hope you can call this place hom as i do!!!:loyal:

Hello Snoochies and welcome from Pennsylvania, you have come to the right place as there is a ton of talent and knowledge here and everyone here is always willing to help if they can. We consider this a teaching forum from artists of all levels from beginner to pro, as our fearless leader says "spread the love"! There are many factors that determine reduction(how thin the paint), air pressure, and type of paint and what you are painting on. They tell me E'tac can be sprayed straight from bottle so 25-30 psi good start point w/.3 needle, Wicked is a good paint also it can be painted on anything with prep, wicked w/.2 needle I would start with a 5:1 reduction(5 parts reducer 1 part paint)with 10 psi. The thinner your paint is the lower your pressure will be and go slower to help avoid spider/skating of the paint. Hope this helps get you started!

Back