New excercise for beginners to gain controll of the airbrush

S

Stranger375

Hi everyone, i just drew up some quick maze in photoshop as a excercice to gain better freehand controll
with the airbrush. If you get tired of single dots or lines just have a go at this maze one. You just have to try
to keep within the lines and go around as fast as you can. In between are some dots so its not that boring lol.
You can make variations going clockwise or also counter clockwise the next time, and thick strokes or thinn lines.....
I attached the picture that you can save to the computer and print out for the excercise sheet. Also attached
my try at it that i made quickly to post here, its not a very good try i have to admit, it looks easier then it is lol.
Hope you have fun with this excercise.Maze exercise1.jpgMaze test.jpg

Hey stranger... That's a great little idea mate, thanks for that. It is a valuable lesson all beginners need to grasp, ok we are all impatient as beginners and you just want to paint everything!! But by doing things like this and all of the tutors exercises you WILL improve quicker and the final results in your paintings will show it.
Good stuff mate.

Nice..I will definatley give it a shot.I've been doing dots, daggers, horizontal blends, and vertical blends...sometimes I just draw a random object + practice shading off one of my sons coloring books.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Yes grand idea, I am going to make my maze with pencil thin lines then go about filling in the center, thanks for that :)
MTM.

I hope you don't mind, but I took your concept and fiddled with it just a little - I think it's an awesome idea. All I did was add variable width lines in the curves and a couple of spots where the dots vary in size also. Hope you don't mind. I'd suggest using this in both the horizontal and vertical positions - I'm weak on top to bottom/bottom to top strokes in drawing and ABing...(I printed one out and made some copies, so I'll probably try it tonight if I get a chance.)

Attachments

• AB-practice-01.jpg
    AB-practice-01.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 67
I hope you don't mind, but I took your concept and fiddled with it just a little - I think it's an awesome idea. All I did was add variable width lines in the curves and a couple of spots where the dots vary in size also. Hope you don't mind. I'd suggest using this in both the horizontal and vertical positions - I'm weak on top to bottom/bottom to top strokes in drawing and ABing...(I printed one out and made some copies, so I'll probably try it tonight if I get a chance.)

This looks like fun, I might try it myself just for the fun of it, I doubt if anyone will mind, certainly since it helps others, and a little tweaking to suit your own weaknesses is certainly not wrong, top job.

I agree with Madbrush!! Nothing wrong with mixing it up and making a different obstacle course for you exact needs!! I think that along with a few dagger stokes along the outside of this design and you have one hell of a warm up sheet before you start painting, lol!! I will have to print this out!!

Josh

Hey swank, i dont mind at all my friend. It´s a very good idea that you had, so you have to do like a tapered end to your lines at the end. This is abit like the curved daggers that you pretty often need when you paint.

Lets kick it up a notch and make it real fun, After you find your way out you should draw in the lines to block off the false exits or fill in the false exits with dots. Maybe even bothhard-maze.jpg

Last edited:
I usually let beginners first spray a shape that they feel comfortable with like circles while moving from left to right, slowly decreasing line width. Then shoot dots inside the curls. Like this:

Beginnersoefening.jpg

Beats asking them to spray a Rembrandt in 5 minutes lol.

Well thanks guys - just didn't want to step on any toes. And Seamonkey - I started fooling with another sheet with straight dagger strokes incorporated too - it's just that everything started getting too small and complicated. My hat goes off to Andres for coming up with a great maze to start off with (they are more difficult to design that you might think!)

I'll add this: it's a great idea for everyone to do - it helps you focus and analyze the way you work and how you might improve.

ignis: I like to do the free-flow stuff, too. That's usually what I'm doing when I get practice time - I need to find a balance between tightening up/loosening up. :D

well, I finally got the chance to sit down and run through a few pages of the test I came up with. More difficult than I thought it would be - but the real pain was all the masking...(j/k)

Thats a great idea, thanks!!! I may make one with a maze like yours and add some daggers and blends into it! Would even be a great warm up exercise before each setting for a project!! Thanks again, I will definitely be doing something like this now

Back