New from South Africa

A

ArthurH

Greetings to all from South Africa

I am a part time photographer. I mainly taking photos of the drifting scene and recently decided it would be a good idea to get to learn how to airbrush.
The idea behind this is to create cartoon images of my photos and airbrush them onto t-shirts.
Step 1 - Learn to airbrush, so here I am.

dumela, sawabona, gooiedag :)
welcome arthur. this is most certainly a good place to learn.
From what part of sunny SA do you hail. I stay in Roodepoort.

Thanks. I do need some info regarding paint, what is good to start with and where do I find?

Hi Arthur-if you have some time, then get yourself to Herbert Evens this month for their annual sale - they are an art shop in the upper level of four ways crossing. ITO what paint to get, as a starter and a good water based paint is the FW ink from Daler Rowney. The cap even has a dropper built in. AndreZA keeps some com-art paints (which I recommend as well - I love my transparent smoke). To start I would sugest a paynes grey (or black) white and the primaries, but AndreZA might disagree, as he has just come back from a Marissa course and he is using a whole bunch of "colours" (need him to explain my inverted comas :) )If you want to go even cheaper I have had reasonable use out of the DALA inks. Also from Herbert evans art shop.

I also have an account with the chaps that import the Harder and Steenbeck range of awesome brushes. they keep temporary tattoo ink and some other wired stuff.

I would stay away from anything NOT water-based at this point, but that is also a personal preference.

edit - Herbert Evens is above Toys R Us :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome Arthur, this is definitely the place to learn....all you need to do is ask! As for paints i have no idea where to look in your area, however on the web there are several place such as www.tcpglobal.com www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com www.ultima-airbrush.com www.coastairbrush.com hope these give you a starting place. As for paints since your looking to do shirts and clothing "createx" is a good brand for that and im sure there are others. Good luck!

Hi Arthur welcome from the uk. Createx is the AB textile paint, not an expert, but I believe it is thicker than usual AB paint and designed to be sprayed through larger brushes, at higher air pressures to penetrate material. Wicked paint (same company), can also be used for textiles, but is also very versatile and can be used for many other media, is lightfast, and when reduced is great for fine detail. Other popular brands are Trident, E'tac and Com art, but not sure about there usefulness re textiles.

welcome from honduras,hope you can callthis place home as i do!!!:angel:

Hi Arthur
I hail from Pietersburg South Africa.I use Dala Ink and get it localy at my hobby shop for a good price. I'm also studying the power series DVD 1(Maybe I can help you with the dvd pm me)Remember keep on asking and the family will keep on helping

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. I will be getting some Dala inks tomorrow and cant wait to get practicing. if anyone cant let me know what else would be a good starting point other than just doing pages of dots, lines, dots connected with line, please let me know.

I have another question, here is a photo that I would ulimately want be able to AB, as a total newbie, where do I start, how do I start?

FB-9538.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have to start with the basics (Dagger strokes lines dots blends)And another important things to look at a picture and see the different kind of shapes thats why learning the dif strokes is so important. You will have bad days and good days. First you have to learn your airbrush and learn it well do your exercises daily,before you know it you will have this picture on canvas.

Are you serious? That is a tall task even for very experienced painters. What size? I would say trace every bit of info you can. The just fill it in with the colour you see infront of you.

At this stage probably about A2, Im not too worried about all the graphics, just to get the ab pic to at least resemble the car in the photo.
I do practice the dagger strokes etc but I want to try something else and maybe in a month try the same or something similar.

Welcome aboard Arthur, as bennie mentioned, once you got the dagger strokes and dots down pat, you could learn to do soft and hard edges. And always start light and work your way to dark

Back