New - Golden High Flow Acrylic airbrush paints

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
Thanks to Harborbill, who first brought this new Golden paint to the Forums attention and therefore mine, I have finally found a supplier in Holland and put in an order for a set of 10 opaques. There is also a set of 10 Transparents but I wanted to test the white and black for spray ability first.

I'm very excited to try these new paints as they are very versatile, so not only can you airbrush them straight from the bottle (ink consistency), but you can use them with a brush, a pen, re-fillable markers and pouring paint etc.

They will replace the existing Golden Airbrush Colours which will be discontinued later this year.
They are hardy paints like the Airbrush Colours so not so good for erasing techniques but I have Com-Art for that.
They have the same palette of colours as the Golden Fluids which means I'll be able to use them with the system I've got including the Mediums. Nice!

I'll let you know how they are once I've given them a try. Anyone else tried them yet?
Cheers Mel

Just went to the Dick Blick web site to see if they had the high floe yet. Funny thing is, they have it now but they only have carbon black and titanium white available, all other colors are listed as out of stock. Some colors will be available 7/10 and some on 7/15.
So that means 1 of 2 things. Either they are selling like hot cakes or Golden is not supplying all the colors all at once.
Now I'm really curious to see how good they are. Unfortunately right now I can't afford to order any. I'll have to see if the Dick Blick near me will be stocking it.

Just went to the Dick Blick web site to see if they had the high floe yet. Funny thing is, they have it now but they only have carbon black and titanium white available, all other colors are listed as out of stock. Some colors will be available 7/10 and some on 7/15.
So that means 1 of 2 things. Either they are selling like hot cakes or Golden is not supplying all the colors all at once.
Now I'm really curious to see how good they are. Unfortunately right now I can't afford to order any. I'll have to see if the Dick Blick near me will be stocking it.

In the USA this shop has them in stock for reasonable prices Golden High Flow Acrylics both 30ml and 119ml bottles, no sets though.

I ordered from Martin Brinkhuis website in Holland Martin Brinkhuis - Kunstenaarsbenodigdheden | Catalogus and they only have the sets, one of 10 opaque's and one of 10 transparents for around €40 each set (plus €5.50 postage, if I read it right). I've ordered the Opaque set and am not sure what colours I'm going to get as I can only see 5 in the photo which is Titanium White, Carbon Black, Burnt Umber, Phthalo Blue (green shade) and Phthalo Green (blue shade). So the other 5 colours are going to be a surprise :)

Normally I wouldn't buy new paint because I have loads already but I recently started using Golden Fluids and Airbrush Medium which I can buy at my local art shops. If I like the High Flow Acrylics (can use straight from the bottle, so no mixing) I'm gonna try and get at least one of the art shops to stock it so I don't have to buy in bulk by mail order when I really only want 1 bottle of Orange.

I can't really afford to buy more paint but I'm just too curious and I couldn't stop myself :)

It will take a week or two for the order to be processed and delivered but I keep you posted when I've had chance to try them Squishy.
cheers Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh No!! Bad News! I got an email today from the place I ordered the Golden High Flows from and they won't have them till September!!! So forget that then, at least I haven't paid for them.

Hooray!! Good News! I went to one of my local art shops to buy some stuff and asked them if they would be stocking Golden High Flow Acrylics in the future and they said, YES!!! Yippeeeee!!! They also recon they will have them in September which although it's longer than I'd want to wait, it is fabulous that I will be able to buy them locally!!

Now they have just got to turn out to be lovely paints, that spray like a dream and I'll be a very happy bunny :)
So in a few months hopefully, I'll be able to give my thoughts on them. Until then if anyone else tries them, please let me/us know what you think.
Cheers Mel

Oh well, at least you know when they'll be around, and being able to get them locally is cool, no postage costs. If I need just one bottle of paint, it costs the same to post as the paint costs, so I try and save up an order. But if you need it you need it, having a local supplier would be so good.

Oh well, at least you know when they'll be around, and being able to get them locally is cool, no postage costs. If I need just one bottle of paint, it costs the same to post as the paint costs, so I try and save up an order. But if you need it you need it, having a local supplier would be so good.

You said it Squishy, I hate having to pay postage costs, having a local supplier with a good acrylic airbrush paint will be brilliant, not just for my peace of mind but for my purse!
I can get FW acrylic inks and Schmincke Aero Pro airbrush paint (locally) but I never took to them, they are both quite fragile and I want a more robust paint, with a wide colour range, that I can use for almost anything. I'm hoping these new Goldens will fit that bill, they are supposed to dry to an even harder film than the existing Golden Airbrush Colours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
cheers Mel

Info on HIGH FLOW from the GOLDEN factory

Either they are selling like hot cakes or Golden is not supplying all the colors all at once.
Hello! I work at the Golden factory in New Berlin, NY... I can tell you that we have been shipping all colors, so I tend to think it is just a case of this retailer burning through their inventory quickly. We're shipping all 49 colors!

As for another comment in this thread regarding the palette - it is not exactly like the Fluid color palette as that color line has some colors not available in High Flow. However, to the extent that you see colors with the same name in both lines, they will be the same pigment and should match perfectly. In fact, for some applications people like to use Fluid colors to thicken High Flow and vice-versa. Their are colors in High Flow that aren't available as Fluids, like the Florescent Colors, and the Sepia (which we blended specifically to fill a color space desirable to pen & ink artists). The "Indigo" in High Flow actually matches Anthraquinone Blue in our Fluid, Heavy Body and OPEN paint lines - we simply called it Indigo to acknowledge the use of that color similar to Indigo ink (but, of course, our Anthra Blue/Indigo is very lightfast - a true Indigo would fade like your blue jeans!)

I hope this helps. But, please, feel free to send any questions you have to our Technical Support team: techsupport at goldenpaints dot com

Hello! I work at the Golden factory in New Berlin, NY... I can tell you that we have been shipping all colors, so I tend to think it is just a case of this retailer burning through their inventory quickly. We're shipping all 49 colors!

As for another comment in this thread regarding the palette - it is not exactly like the Fluid color palette as that color line has some colors not available in High Flow. However, to the extent that you see colors with the same name in both lines, they will be the same pigment and should match perfectly. In fact, for some applications people like to use Fluid colors to thicken High Flow and vice-versa. Their are colors in High Flow that aren't available as Fluids, like the Florescent Colors, and the Sepia (which we blended specifically to fill a color space desirable to pen & ink artists). The "Indigo" in High Flow actually matches Anthraquinone Blue in our Fluid, Heavy Body and OPEN paint lines - we simply called it Indigo to acknowledge the use of that color similar to Indigo ink (but, of course, our Anthra Blue/Indigo is very lightfast - a true Indigo would fade like your blue jeans!)

I hope this helps. But, please, feel free to send any questions you have to our Technical Support team: techsupport at goldenpaints dot com

That is very good info Christopher, thank you. Now phone up your South African supplier and tell him to start selling it. They only have the normal airbrush colours and only in sets of 10.

Christopher I would like to contact you as I would love to carry your paint I tried multiple times to contact goldens by email with no response

I had a dialogue with a few suppliers re: Schmincke Areocolors of which I have a modest set and I was trying to acquire some medium for it - which I eventually tracked down in a shop over in New Zealand.
The common opinion seemed that the German companies are making top notch products, but they aren't being backed by the marketing commitment that they deserve.
It's a contrast to the saturation strategy that has put Wicked and AA where it is.

What cleaner does Golden paints recommend for use with their airbrush paints? I haven't found a golden one yet and have to find one that works with them. Will a generic one suffice?

What cleaner does Golden paints recommend for use with their airbrush paints? I haven't found a golden one yet and have to find one that works with them. Will a generic one suffice?

Heath, Golden don't have an airbrush cleaning solution they suggest you use a cleaner for acrylic paints. You can use warm soapy water. I use my home made cleaner of Denatured Alcohol 1/3rd and distilled water 2/3rds. Any airbrush cleaner for Acrylic paints is good so a generic one will do. Don't use Solvent paint cleaners or anything too stringent.

Cheers Mel. I've got some denatured alcohol (meths from a chemist - so no colouring), 2 litres of distilled water and a small bottle of Glycerine ready to mix up for cleaning. Hopefully I can use the glycerine to help stop tip dry too. - Heath

I finally got my hands on some Golden High Flow paints and will hopefully be doing some tests tomorrow. I only got the white and the black to test on the basis that if I can spray these two colours which are notorious for being a pain then the other colours should be no problem.

The really good news is that I bought them from a local art shop which means I can buy the paint as needed. It's just got to spray good and my airbrush needs will be pretty much sorted.

I heard from another art shop manager who spoke to a Golden Rep. that the High Flow paints are actually the same paint as the Airbrush Colours only repackaged and aimed at a wider market. From the reviews I've read about the Golden Airbrush Colours this is good news because they came out as being pretty good.

Well I'll find out for myself as soon as I get spraying. With new paints and a new Olympos Micron I'm going to be having some great fun in the coming days :)
Cheers Mel

I did some tests yesterday with the Golden High Flow white.

Basically I sprayed it straight from the bottle with both my Olympos MP200-C 0.23mm and my Sotar 0.2mm. so any bigger needle setups like my Eclipse 0.3mm should have no problems. It sprayed quite well with both airbrushes from 20 psi and 15 psi and even managed 10 psi although not as well.

I reduced it 1:1 with Golden Transparent Extender and 3 drops of bottled water and it sprayed really well from 20 to 10 psi and with the Sotar it sprayed at 5 psi.

So first impression is very good. The only thing that I didn't like was it was not as easy to clean as Com-Art. However it doesn't settle in the bottle like Com-Art so you don't have to shake it as much.

Tip dry was about the same as Com-Art opaques. With Transparent Extender it was less so maybe with more mixing I could get better tip dry results.

I'll be able to give a better report after I've done a painting with them so I'll let you know.
Cheers Mel

I've just seen these advertised - I've not used any Golden paints through an airbrush but I'm very keen to try them.

I did some tests yesterday with the Golden High Flow white.

Basically I sprayed it straight from the bottle with both my Olympos MP200-C 0.23mm and my Sotar 0.2mm. so any bigger needle setups like my Eclipse 0.3mm should have no problems. It sprayed quite well with both airbrushes from 20 psi and 15 psi and even managed 10 psi although not as well.

I reduced it 1:1 with Golden Transparent Extender and 3 drops of bottled water and it sprayed really well from 20 to 10 psi and with the Sotar it sprayed at 5 psi.

So first impression is very good. The only thing that I didn't like was it was not as easy to clean as Com-Art. However it doesn't settle in the bottle like Com-Art so you don't have to shake it as much.

Tip dry was about the same as Com-Art opaques. With Transparent Extender it was less so maybe with more mixing I could get better tip dry results.

I'll be able to give a better report after I've done a painting with them so I'll let you know.
Cheers Mel

Melbee - thanks for posting your initial tests, very helpful.

Back