new guy

B

bbbrick

Hey I'm Rick from Oklahoma USA
I got an iwata neo to try out. Cardiologist said no fishing or basically anything I would typically do cause heart function dropped to the low teens he said I needed to find something easy to do so I thought make and paint fishing lures
Went to walmart and got cheap craft paint and thinned it down to practice,planned on using airbrush to paint lures .
I just started playing with it past few days ,lures seemed easy to paint once I learned to turn air pressure down and not pull back very far and blast a ton of paint and learned fast that i better hold air down if I want to stop splatters.
Yesterday I decided to paint an eye it came out semi decent except the cardstock i was using buckled and I couldn't spray fine enough detail (and the walmart craft paint skin tones I mixed when dry were darker)
I thought this isn't difficult so
thought I would try fire...LOL ...made a very nice mess more i tried worse it got hahaha next time i will let colors dry or blow dry
but I'll figure it out had it close several times then added more paint ....I should have just finished highlights and details with brushes (need to get some decent brushes and artist paint too)
Once I play around some with the craft paint I will get better paint all I have now createx pearlescent (for lures) and need to get the right paper .
I had some poster paper here and coated it with latex primer last night with a fine foam mini roller did both sides it came out mostly flat ill try painting on it,if it don't work will try diluting primer down and roll on a few pieces
This may take me a little while to catch on but with a few short hours of practice in my humble opinion i'm bound to be world class ;)

Welcome aboard Rick, I’m not trying to scare you off, but if you’re looking for a relaxing hobby.... eject Now!!:p
You won’t find much else that isn’t more trying on your nerves than airbrushing. But it is pretty rewarding so you better stick around a little longer.
All kidding aside we’d love to see some of your work. Don’t be shy.
There’s plenty of lure painters here to help ya out.
Tons of info here too. Any questions or problems just ask.
And cheers to a speedy recovery

Hey I'm Rick from Oklahoma USA
I got an iwata neo to try out. Cardiologist said no fishing or basically anything I would typically do cause heart function dropped to the low teens he said I needed to find something easy to do so I thought make and paint fishing lures
Went to walmart and got cheap craft paint and thinned it down to practice,planned on using airbrush to paint lures .
I just started playing with it past few days ,lures seemed easy to paint once I learned to turn air pressure down and not pull back very far and blast a ton of paint and learned fast that i better hold air down if I want to stop splatters.
Yesterday I decided to paint an eye it came out semi decent except the cardstock i was using buckled and I couldn't spray fine enough detail (and the walmart craft paint skin tones I mixed when dry were darker)
I thought this isn't difficult so
thought I would try fire...LOL ...made a very nice mess more i tried worse it got hahaha next time i will let colors dry or blow dry
but I'll figure it out had it close several times then added more paint ....I should have just finished highlights and details with brushes (need to get some decent brushes and artist paint too)
Once I play around some with the craft paint I will get better paint all I have now createx pearlescent (for lures) and need to get the right paper .
I had some poster paper here and coated it with latex primer last night with a fine foam mini roller did both sides it came out mostly flat ill try painting on it,if it don't work will try diluting primer down and roll on a few pieces
This may take me a little while to catch on but with a few short hours of practice in my humble opinion i'm bound to be world class ;)
Welcome from the U.K. There’s a few other lire painters already here so I’m sure there will be tips and tricks to share with each other. Glad to have you as part of our community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome home Rick, You should have just printed the 40% off coupon from Hobby lobby and bought the Wicked primary set https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ry-Wicked-Airbrush-Paints---6-Piece-Set/p/823 which is 34.99 - 40% would end up about 21.00 plus tax but they are design to paint on about everything . It is always the best ideal to practice and learn on the paints you will be using for your projects that way you can kill two birds with one stone. Learn to airbrush and gain control plus learn the paint system you will be using daily to paint those lures.

eye (2).jpg don't know how to add photo
...well guess I do lol it just showed up
its kind of a rough attempt but never used airbrush but when i get the right materials
and use the airbrush and get more practice i should improve

keeping lines even and going like u want is troublesome it will take awhile to master the trigger but turning air pressure down after getting wetter paint on cheap craft stuff helped
the card stock paper bowed when i went over this in areas several times after seeing when blowdry that I had got it to dark at first

View attachment 58385 don't know how to add photo
...well guess I do lol it just showed up
its kind of a rough attempt but never used airbrush but when i get the right materials
and use the airbrush and get more practice i should improve
Rough attempt? I think it looks good. Better than I can do. Looks great so far. I think you may have found your calling.
Oh yeah welcome from Canada

perhaps I lucked out or image looks better than my job
if I wouldn't have destroyed the fire attempt uyou would have had a good laugh...
it was bad
I already know ill have to eventually get better airbrushes the iwata neo doesn't spray fine line or i'm not doing something right

if I wouldn't have destroyed the fire attempt uyou would have had a good laugh...
it was bad
I already know ill have to eventually get better airbrushes the iwata neo doesn't spray fine line or i'm not doing something right
I have never tried a neo but my first air brush was a Chinese nock off. Not the best but I like it. It all comes down o what you get used to. I got an iwata revolution hp-br air brush for Christmas and even though it it 100 times better than my old one I still reach for the old one before the new one.
I will try to find one of my attempts at fire, it is a good laugh. The Reds are pink and i am sure a blind person would have done a better job. Lollol..

keeping lines even and going like u want is troublesome it will take awhile to master the trigger but turning air pressure down after getting wetter paint on cheap craft stuff helped
the card stock paper bowed when i went over this in areas several times after seeing when blowdry that I had got it to dark at first
You are being way to hard on yourself for someone who has only just picked up an airbrush you’ve done just fine.
If you haven’t already done it then register at the airbrush tutor site, inside you will find free exercise sheets and beginner projects , one of which is the eye, there’s also a leopard and a monochromatic portrait. I can guarantee you’ll look at them and say ‘no way I can do that!’ But progression is all about pushing outside of your comfort zone.
Start at the beginning and learn about dots, daggers and blends (known as airbrush control) .. the projects will help you put them in the right order and places

it was bad
That’s a great first attempt that shows some real promise. Fine lines are not as easy to achieve as it may seem, they are created with a balance of trigger control, paint reduction, air pressure, speed of movement. They will come with practice, I’ll second what Jackster said about going to the AB Tutor site and downloading the beginner exercises, they’re a really good place to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, that eye looks pretty good for a 1st attempt. Shame you haven't got the fire painting as we do like to see any attempts and would have tried to guide you and tell you where you could have saved/ improved it. Although you probably had more satisfaction putting a match to it and dancing on it shouting hallelujah lol or what ever you did to it (sometimes my mind wanders and has its own interpretation).. The neo isnt a bad AB but there are better ones out there. They are chinese made for Iwata however not the worst quality. Fine lines are something that you have to work on and like @SiRoxx said will come with practice.

Lee

Back