New Guy

J

Jenkins

Just getting started. Wanted to try airbrushing for a long time just now got to it. I bought a Talon TG and am rounding up the parts to hook it into my shop compressor. Any advice on how to start would be great. I have watched countless you tube videos. Hopefully this weekend I can get started.

Welcome from Canada. I would suggest checking out the Airbrush Tutor's video for beginners and then to print out the exercises and have a go at it. If you have any other question just ask, there's lots of people on the forum willing to help. :)

Welcome to the forum from the US.

Go to airbrushtutor.com and sign up, print the practice sheets, and have at it. These will get you to practice the essentials. Practice 30 min at a time or more at least 3 times a week, at least for 30 days. This will give you control before tackling any projects. When you can not wait, doodle with your airbrush , or get or make some stencils and practice those to break up the monotony. Practice is key. Push yourself to try harder things, but not too soon, excessive frustration can deter beginning airbrushers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome Jenkins, what WhiteKnight said is a great way to start your journey. Luc from Calgary

Hi from the uk, watch the Airbrush tutors vids, and start with the exercises, one you've got to grips with the strokes and fades etc, most people try his eye tutorial. Post your efforts and you'll get lots of tips and advice both from people who have also done it, and the many experienced and amazing artists here.

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:triumphant:

Hello and welcome from PA, we are all here to help each other...lots of great people here.

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you get some pictures up of your work... even practice sheets. that way the folks on here can offer any advice as you're building your skills and that might help you from developing bad habits and just make the journey that much more enjoyable.

Lots of practice with dots, daggers, lines and fades. Don't worry you'll get the right consistency and air flow eventually. Just don't give up. If your having a problem just give a shout out and we all will help. Most of all jump in and paint something. Save your first painting to compare to your work later to see how far you came in a short period of time. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the advice. I finally got everything hooked up and tried spraying a piece of cardboard. Took a little getting used to. Kinda hard to grip with my big hands. My little compressor does not have a tank and will drop to 20 psi while spraying. It holds at 20 psi but I think it was part of the problem of the brush would just stop putting out paint. If I kept the air flowing and worked the trigger back and forth it would spray again. I need to find a small tank until I get the big shop compressor wired up. Tomorrow I plan on printing off the tutorials and start on them as soon as I get the compressor a tank to maintain a higher working pressure. Thanks again for all the advice.

welcome from sweden there is endles of advice and tips here as you already seen in this thread :triumphant:

Thanks for the advice. I finally got everything hooked up and tried spraying a piece of cardboard. Took a little getting used to. Kinda hard to grip with my big hands. My little compressor does not have a tank and will drop to 20 psi while spraying. It holds at 20 psi but I think it was part of the problem of the brush would just stop putting out paint. If I kept the air flowing and worked the trigger back and forth it would spray again. I need to find a small tank until I get the big shop compressor wired up. Tomorrow I plan on printing off the tutorials and start on them as soon as I get the compressor a tank to maintain a higher working pressure. Thanks again for all the advice.
Hey Jenkins... welcome buddy....a tanked compressor is a definite must if you are even half serious about airbrushing however the problem you mention above is nothing to do with air pressure instead it is do with paint reduction.... basic rule of thumb is to thin your paint with brand specific reducer (or water at a push) until it is the consistency of milk.... Milk you hear me. ... not cream or water.... milk. .. hehe good luck Bro

Welcome buddy from Australia, where we all airbrush upside down.

Hey Jenkins... welcome buddy....a tanked compressor is a definite must if you are even half serious about airbrushing however the problem you mention above is nothing to do with air pressure instead it is do with paint reduction.... basic rule of thumb is to thin your paint with brand specific reducer (or water at a push) until it is the consistency of milk.... Milk you hear me. ... not cream or water.... milk. .. hehe good luck Bro

I noticed (realized) the set of paint that came with the Talon is "semi opaque." I was reducing it 1 : 1 with createx reducer. Is it different than transparent paint?

can be... trans paints can be a little thinner but is is not neccasarily the rule..... consider reducing 1 paint to at least 3 reducer and see how that goes around 20psi??? its all trial and error rather than a science

Back