New Iwata!

J

Jezurus

Good morning all, I haven't posted in awhile but I'm still going! I just received a new HP CS as payment for a painting I'm doing and I have to say even though it's an economy brush, it works awesome! It sprays so much better than my Krome, and I hate to say that, I must have got a faulty Badger because it has never worked as well as the new Iwata has, I love my Krome, but there is just no comparison to how the Iwata works, could I have received a defective brush? I've been using the .32 ? Needle nozzle in the Krome, but the HP CS just sprays so smooth, trigger wise, evening thing fits better, just as fine a line with its setup.
Should I send the Krome back for a refurb????

I'll admit I'm very curious. The Krome often seems close second to the HP-CS as the brush most recommended as the best beginner brush, but I've never seen and actual head-to-head comparison from anyone who owns both.

I don't own a Krome myself, but I do have an HP-CS and two Badger SOTARs. The SOTARs are definitely fussier when it comes to clog prevention and cleaning, and their part finishing quality & smoothness of operation is nowhere near the HP-CS's, but if I get my mixes right, they atomize better and have a better response curve.

When you say the Krome doesn't spray as well, what sort of stuff are you experiencing, exactly?

I'll admit I'm very curious. The Krome often seems close second to the HP-CS as the brush most recommended as the best beginner brush, but I've never seen and actual head-to-head comparison from anyone who owns both.

I don't own a Krome myself, but I do have an HP-CS and two Badger SOTARs. The SOTARs are definitely fussier when it comes to clog prevention and cleaning, and their part finishing quality & smoothness of operation is nowhere near the HP-CS's, but if I get my mixes right, they atomize better and have a better response curve.

When you say the Krome doesn't spray as well, what sort of stuff are you experiencing, exactly?

I sold my Krome, but if sealed properly with beeswax, it works great. Having used both, I prefer the Eclipse. The head assembly design was a big turn off for me. Real fine threads, and the tiny nozzle makes it difficult to maintain. The Krome is better at lower pressure than the Eclipse though. I own two Eclipses' and sold the Krome, so my opinion is pretty obvious.

I bought the Krome @jagardn sold. And while it was a great brush for me at the time, and has a smoother action. It sits unused these days.
I liked my hp cs so much i bought the bottle feed eclipse. And now my wife bought me the side feed.

On top of that Jeff sent me his mp200C and that thing is stellar.

So one more eclipse fan here... and i really did not want to be.

I am curious why you consider the HP CS an economy brush. I thought the "neo" line were meant to be iwata's economy brushes. I've only seen the HP CS touted as their workhorse brush. Am I missing something?

I am curious why you consider the HP CS an economy brush. I thought the "neo" line were meant to be iwata's economy brushes. I've only seen the HP CS touted as their workhorse brush. Am I missing something?

Neo's are not Iwata's, they are Chinese made brushes made under licence for iwata which is why they are clalled the "Neo for Iwata" depending on which vendor it comes from or is bought from, I wouldn't consider any Iwata to be an economy brush, it may be lesser priced but still expensive compared to other brands, I don't have a CS but from what I've read and anywhere else it certainly performs nicely, if anything I would simply it's a wise choice when budget is the key, I have the Iwata HP-BH which is one further up the price scale, but I get as much out of it as I do from my Micron, of course that's if I'm not dropping it on the floor;)

@Jezurus as far your krome goes, I know a few have them or have them and a lot of pleasure out of them, our very own @beanpoleuk has been producing some amazing art with his before he got his Micron, I also know that badger are known for the excellent customer care, so if I was you I would contact badger and outline the problems you may have had with it and arrange for it to be serviced, you never know, you could just up with a pretty decent back up brush, and a back up is always handy to have:thumbsup:

Since the brushes I have all please me no end and other than wanting side feed Micron next year some time even though I don't actually need it, I'm tempted to throw the CS on my to do list mainly because I like the idea of the self centring idiot proof nozzle who's name suggests it was mad with me in mind, but also because the brushes I have now are all detail brushes and I have tendency to stay away form bigger stuff as a result, so the CS may be just what I need to get me into larger paintings.

Hmm, interesting comments, as Madbrush states I now have a Micron but up until recently everything in my album was done with my one and only Ab, the Krome with a 0.2 setup, today I still use the Krome for T-Shirts but with the 0.3 setup, for everything else I now use the Micron, the Micron definitely gives me better control especially at very low pressure but I cant fault the Krome or the brilliant service from Badger.

I would definitely contact badger , they are very helpful and will I am sure sort your problem , (they have even been known to send out a replacement while yours is being investigated, to keep you airbrushing).

Hmm, interesting comments, as Madbrush states I now have a Micron but up until recently everything in my album was done with my one and only Ab, the Krome with a 0.2 setup, today I still use the Krome for T-Shirts but with the 0.3 setup, for everything else I now use the Micron, the Micron definitely gives me better control especially at very low pressure but I cant fault the Krome or the brilliant service from Badger.

I would definitely contact badger , they are very helpful and will I am sure sort your problem , (they have even been known to send out a replacement while yours is being investigated, to keep you airbrushing).
To be clear the Krome IS a great airbrush. And can spray better than my cs. My only dislike on the Krome was the size. And how scared i was going to drop the nozzle!
(Never used anything but the .2 with it)

Ok thanks so much for everyone's input, I will try to answer everyone's responses!:), as far as it being an " economy" brush, my bad, It Is just a lower priced brush when comparing to the micron series, and truthfully, because it was carried at Hobby Lobby, I did not think much of it, man I was so wrong, it performs so great I can't imagine it getting better.
Paint reduction has always been an issue with the Krome, so I started using the .3 setup, which for that particular brush, did not help much, I am using mostly Wicked detail paints with some of the Iwata paint here and there, attempting to paint primered plastic helmets and primered metal, with the Krome, it's either spiders or tip dry, can not find a happy medium with it.
Last night with the eclipse I painted an hour with some wicked black, not detail reduced half and half, never a clog, just wipe off the tip of the needle now and then, and then with some white that I had already reduced and run through the Krome that made me pull my hair out the tip dry and clogs are madning, but, great results with the eclipse, I can't believe how well it was doing.
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Krome, (first love!) and I love everything I have read about Badger, and am American company, that is what made me lean toward Badger in the first place, but, just my opinion, there is no comparison on the quality, design, and workmanship between the two, if you look at the tour of the Badger shop you see a lot of old style machining equipment, not a lot of CNC equip, that may have something to do with it, and!!!!! (disclaimer) I may be wrong about that, could be an old video, I always pull for the family owned companys, and I love Badgers story of how Kens Father started the company, If I send it back and they get it going I prob will keep it forever, ( l still have my old Badger Model 200 I bought 20 years ago).
But I will buy Iwata from now on, it's just a no brainier after trying the Eclipse!
Oh, and I have tried the bees wax with the Krome to no avail, I have a pound of the crap!!
So I will contact Badger and talk with them on the subject!
If anyone else has comment please feel free to post, Thanks again everyone!,

MadBrush said:
Neo's are not Iwata's, they are Chinese made brushes made under licence for iwata which is why they are clalled the "Neo for Iwata" depending on which vendor it comes from or is bought from, I wouldn't consider any Iwata to be an economy brush, it may be lesser priced but still expensive compared to other brands, I don't have a CS but from what I've read and anywhere else it certainly performs nicely, if anything I would simply it's a wise choice when budget is the key, I have the Iwata HP-BH which is one further up the price scale, but I get as much out of it as I do from my Micron, of course that's if I'm not dropping it on the floor;)

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't really noticed that they say neo for Iwata opposed to by Iwata. I just knew they were branded with the Iwata name, but significantly cheaper with less features. Like you, I had never heard of any Iwatas (save the Neos, which you've pointed out aren't actually Iwata made) that could be considered an economy brush. I know the Micron is their flagship detail brush, and significantly more expensive, but I suspect a lot of that is market value, and not necessarily due to higher tooling and machining costs. :)

It Is just a lower priced brush when comparing to the micron series
I think that's probably true for *every* airbrush... :laugh:

Last edited:
And by the way, the reason I bought the Iwata is that I caught the air hose on my foot and drug the whole stand off my table and the Krome landed how? Right on the tip, killed the needle, tip, and cap, I was sick!!

The stock HP-CS is definitely front-heavy. If you swap the handle for the KCS handle, that moves the center of mass back so it's nearly centered on the valve stem (if you leave the cup lid off, it is centered perfectly).

What this means, of course, is that you can flip it like a coin to make decisions! Just toss it in the air, and if you say "Sh!t!" when it lands, that's heads, and if you say "F#ck!", that's tails.

Last edited:
The stock HP-CS is definitely front-heavy. If you swap the handle for the KCS handle, that moves the center of mass back so it's nearly centered on the valve stem (if you leave the cup lid off, it is centered perfectly).

What this means, of course, is that you can flip it like a coin to make decisions! Just toss it in the air, and if you say "Sh!t!" when it lands, that's heads, and if you say "F#ck!", that's tails.

I'm not sure this is true, I said both which should mean it would land on its side, but no, it still landed on its arse:eek: although that was the HP-BH with the back off, different altogether I suppose, I don't know, all this complicated technical excremente is too much for my empty old head:confused::confused::confused:

Do I really have to learn all this flipping &@?@@ to become a master airbrush wrangler??:eek::confused:, well if that's what it takes!!

Do I really have to learn all this flipping &@?@@ to become a master airbrush wrangler??:eek::confused:, well if that's what it takes!!

No one forced you to become an airbrusher, but since you are now, you have got to obey all the rules, it is compulsory to stab yourself in the knee with your exposed needle (must be dirty), you must bend at least one needle on your substrate while working with the nozzle protector off, you must drop your brush on it's head at least once on each of the following, carpet floor, laminate/wooden floor (pine doesn't count, too soft) and concrete floor, you must also drop your brush on it's arse at least once also on all the aforementioned floor types, you are required to do a continuous 15 minutes of quick dagger strokes in a top to bottom and back to top fashion with no lid, your paint must be black for this, and if your face is black at the end of it you can consider it a pass, until you have done all of the above you just don't have the right to call yourself an airbrush artist.

I know this isn't the news you wanted to hear this close to Christmas but the rules are the rules, the good news is, when you have completed all of the above mentioned events, you are worthy of owning a Micron, and as if that wasn't cool enough, you may even choose which version yourself, how cool is that?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I am an airbrush artist then. In fact I must've passed with a distinction then, because as well as all of the above, I managed to tattoo two dots on my finger too.

So I am an airbrush artist then. In fact I must've passed with a distinction then, because as well as all of the above, I managed to tattoo two dots on my finger too.

The dots is one the optional items that just raise your credibility, choking yourself with your air hose and pulling everything off the table with it is also handy for getting your respect up, I actually thought losing it big time and throwing everything I own in a girlish frenzy at or out the window was a contender but my wife thought otherwise, although I'm not sure if it was because of the event or the fact that I must have seemed to be impersonating her at a particular time of the month, and I'm not about to ask her because it's that time now, we just had our dinner about half an hour ago and she always makes me a nice cup of tea after dinner, but when I asked "where is my tea darling" she said "don't worry dear you'll be wearing it very shortly, and probably the kettle too, we can't have it going cold", it's not the tea going cold I'm worried about now:eek:

Anyway, you are an airbrush artist even without the dots, maybe one day you can join those dots and maybe make something nice:)

Well, I'm at least half way there!! I do have a couple self inflicted tattoo dots from the oh so sharp tips, I have slung paint out of my grav feed, (all my jeans have paint splotches on the legs) and I did half cover my face, still have to do the tip in the carpet trick, but I'm determined to get there!
Another great night with my Eclipse, started a round saw blade for a customer, with an eagle carrying US flag, I'll post some pics when I get a little further along, g'night all.

Back