New member from Nor Cal needs help

E

erikblank

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, I ran across this site while researching my first airbrush. I thought I had it narrowed down to either the Patriot or the Talon. The Talon was winning, just because it seemed more versatile. After reading all the great reviews on this site, I'm really thinking the Krome might be the one.

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]About twenty years ago, I worked in a auto body shop, for 5 years. I still do small repairs for friends and paint jobs for myself. While I'm not a great painter, I'm okay. I already have the compressor, regulator and filters. I also understand how to thin paint and adjust a spray gun. So i think, I have a leg up on a complete newbie.

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Times are tough right now and my goal is to buy an ab that will do what I need and still give me room to grow. I know one ab won't do everything, but I was hoping to find one that would let me do a lot. right now, I have 3 foam rc planes ( 8 total ) that I'd like to lay down a basic paint job on. My planes have between 22" to 32" wing span. I know both the Talon and the Patriot are over kill for this. However, with practise I'd like to do some very detailed work. I'd also like to paint my helmets ( full face street bike, snowmobile and mountain bike). I'm also interested at trying my hand at some artwork.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So what do you say? Am I biting off to much? Will the Krome do what I need and still give me room to grow? Or am I shooting for a ab way out of my league?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I welcome all suggestions and recommendations.

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks Erik [/FONT]

The Krome is a great brush, but if you have never airbrushed, it can be a bit finicky to learn on. The .3 mm needle/nozzle would make that a bit easier. The Patriot might be the best " first " brush for you, then when you find you need a fine detail brush later, then get a krome. Small tip sizes can wreak havoc on a beginner, learning correct pressure and reduction rates for each paint brand and type , can be frustrating, never mind if you start with an opaque water based paint. My first good quality brush was a patriot and i still use t all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The Krome is a great brush, but if you have never airbrushed, it can be a bit finicky to learn on. The .3 mm needle/nozzle would make that a bit easier. The Patriot might be the best " first " brush for you, then when you find you need a fine detail brush later, then get a krome. Small tip sizes can wreak havoc on a beginner, learning correct pressure and reduction rates for each paint brand and type , can be frustrating, never mind if you start with an opaque water based paint. My first good quality brush was a patriot and i still use t all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Completely agree! Krome all the way, I got mine for about $130 bucks or so. It has two needles/nozzles and I am using mine all the time now instead of my $260 Iwata. Best bang for the buck in my Opinion.

now jagardn an wmlepage are right with the krome,my experience is with the talon 2 in 1

i ´ll recommend that you should start with a very not to the top airbrush.this is because, in my humble opinion, i compare airbrushes with cars,so with what do you want to learn to drive?in a vw volkswagen or with a 7 series bmw.this is because both airbrushes can be considered to be a little into precision airbrushing.

i own a talon and in the best conditions i do really amazing detail work,mean really small airbrushing.also the krome,though i haven´t try,but i have seen work from people here that is amazing.so,in my humble opinion,with these kind of airbrushes there is a lot to learn,not to mention infinty or iwata.

now price,in chicago airbrush supply you can find very good prices for a big variaty of abs,while you can purchase a krome it will take a while to get, while a talon can be delivered almost overnight.both at similar prices.

krome comes with a nice case,talon doesn´t.also with the talon you can change the needles and voila you can have a working horse.

hope this helps.really do.

and welcome from honduras

Either the Talon or the Krome will make for a great airbrush. Both have affordable parts.
Coast airbrush sells both for about 115.00 plus shipping.
and compared to the Micron they will do super fine detail.
as for comparing them in cars they are both VW's price wise compared to the Ferrari price tag on a Micron.

The Krome is pretty hard to get hold of at the moment, seems to be a lot of backorders, just thought I'd mention it. If you need an AB sooner rather than later then the Talon might be the way to go. If you don't mind waiting the Krome is a very popular brush.

Either the Talon or the Krome will make for a great airbrush. Both have affordable parts.
Coast airbrush sells both for about 115.00 plus shipping.
and compared to the Micron they will do super fine detail.
as for comparing them in cars they are both VW's price wise compared to the Ferrari price tag on a Micron.

indeed!!!you are right!!!

Thanks for the replies. I thought I'd be ordering a Krome tomorrow, when I got paid. TC showed 21 in stock yesterday. Today they show 0. So I don't know what I'm going to do. I really don't need one until the first part of next month. I was just hoping to have as much time as possible to practice, before I needed it.

Back